Good things are happening

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Hi all:

Thanks to all of you who have been my lifeline with my son since his journey brought me here almost 7 years ago.

We have made it through to the other side as many of you know!

He moved back into our home in November of 2018 after 13 months at a faith based program for his pill addiction. He just turned 24 last month.

It hasn't been a perfectly straight line but we are getting there. He does drink but only beer and in moderation. He does not go to bars. He is mainly a homebody.

This week he broke up with a girl he had been dating here (mostly as friends on his part) who got increasingly possessive and controlling and I'd even say abusive over text when they were not together. He tried to appease her but things kept getting worse. She constantly accused him of going out and texting other girls (he wasn't) and wanted him to text 24/7 when they weren't together. She has been harassing him ever since leaving messages of how he is a "bad person" etc. and last night we finally changed his number.

He has been working full or part time and going to welding school. Yesterday he was accepted into the Austal pre employment program (a large ship builder here as we live on the coast). He got one of 12 spots out of 40 or more applicants. He had to take a test to apply. He starts class Monday and it will last for 12 weeks. At that time he will most likely be hired as an apprentice welder for Austal - based on his performance as they normally hire all that they train.

Just picture the worst of the worst and that is where we were with our son for many years. I have imagined, begged and prayed for his life to be right where we are now in this very moment and I am so grateful and hopeful and I just want to share that with all of you because you cannot give up. Keep pushing on warriors!

Copabanana

Dear RN

The apprenticeship program for the shipbuilder sounds wonderful. He has been on a steady, focused, upward path now for 2 years. I remember too well how it was when he was in Florida. He seems like a different man, a man who has been progressively putting his house in order.

I am very happy for you. Each of you has put in blood, sweat and tears for this result, that he could build this kind of future.

Last edited:

JayPee

Sending good vibes...
RN

What fantastic news to share with us! I'm so happy for you AND for your son. You must be, as you should be, so proud. It is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel sometimes so this gives me hope. I'm sure during all your praying that God not only changed your son but he changed "you" as well. You are likely a different person since you began this journey 7 years ago. I found God is always looking for us to learn as we go through life, even if we really don't care to. It will happen sometimes later rather than sooner, if someone chooses to try to go around their problems but eventually we all have to go "through" them to get to the other side.

He's making good decisions in his work life and personal life. To be strong enough not to crumble under the breakup of a relationship says a lot.

:likeit:

Kalahou

RN, I am also glad things are going so well for you and your family.
For some of these difficult children, they do turn their lives around and set a good course.
I'm thankful for you. Take care.

RN0441

Well he has to pass drug test next week and still smokes (not around us) so now we are holding our breath that he can pass it! He is sweating through exercise, drinking lots of water and will drink a GNC product. Not happy that he sprung this on us naturally.....

Never a dull moment. He's still not where we want him of course but now he realizes he should have listened to us.

Albatross

I am absolutely thrilled for all of you, RN! It has been a long-fought battle and a tremendous act of faith for all of you. It’s not great news that he has been smoking, but on the positive side he is owning up to it ahead of time and trying to rectify it, which I think is a positive and mature step. Many would just go in and blow the drug test. Best of luck to him!

WiseChoices

I am so happy to have a positive, optimistic report with everything we go through together here on this board.

I hope he is able to pass the drug test. This may be a good time to mention AA or NA to him and encourage him to let go of all substances since the employer can randomly drug test also after he has been hired. I hope the sweating/flushing out procedure works - MJ stays in the system for 30 days if he has been using it regularly.

RN0441

Thanks to all for your positive feedback. He did test clean today at home this afternoon but says he will continue to drink water and exercise all weekend. Maybe this was a good scare for him.

I am hoping he outgrows the pot thing as I did when his age - he'll have to with this job - but I doubt he'll ever not drink. I'm okay with it as long as he remains in control as he is now. He said his wild days are over and so far, I believe it!

Most people have to learn on their own in their own way. I find that with our boys anyway. Life lessons are the best teacher.

WiseChoices

That is such a positive, optimistic update! I am so happy for you and your son! This job will be really good for him, and his welding skills got it for him! It will fill him with a sense of pride and accomplishment. ❤️❤️❤️

TA99

Hi all:

Thanks to all of you who have been my lifeline with my son since his journey brought me here almost 7 years ago.

We have made it through to the other side as many of you know!

He moved back into our home in November of 2018 after 13 months at a faith based program for his pill addiction. He just turned 24 last month.

It hasn't been a perfectly straight line but we are getting there. He does drink but only beer and in moderation. He does not go to bars. He is mainly a homebody.

This week he broke up with a girl he had been dating here (mostly as friends on his part) who got increasingly possessive and controlling and I'd even say abusive over text when they were not together. He tried to appease her but things kept getting worse. She constantly accused him of going out and texting other girls (he wasn't) and wanted him to text 24/7 when they weren't together. She has been harassing him ever since leaving messages of how he is a "bad person" etc. and last night we finally changed his number.

He has been working full or part time and going to welding school. Yesterday he was accepted into the Austal pre employment program (a large ship builder here as we live on the coast). He got one of 12 spots out of 40 or more applicants. He had to take a test to apply. He starts class Monday and it will last for 12 weeks. At that time he will most likely be hired as an apprentice welder for Austal - based on his performance as they normally hire all that they train.

Just picture the worst of the worst and that is where we were with our son for many years. I have imagined, begged and prayed for his life to be right where we are now in this very moment and I am so grateful and hopeful and I just want to share that with all of you because you cannot give up. Keep pushing on warriors!
So happy for all of you. I want so much to see that happen to my son!

RN0441

By the Grace of God he passed his drug test last night. He wasn't a heavy MJ smoker so that was helpful.

He is on his way now to a welding career with a great company.

We have been so blessed by all the changes in him.

Never give up hope and keep praying.

Albatross

By the Grace of God he passed his drug test last night. He wasn't a heavy MJ smoker so that was helpful.

He is on his way now to a welding career with a great company.

We have been so blessed by all the changes in him.

Never give up hope and keep praying.

Woo-hoo!!

WiseChoices

I am so very happy for you! You must feel so relieved that have your son on a good path now. I will continue to pray for you and your family .We all deserve good things to happen in our lives :group-hug: