Goodbye to Facebook for me

BusynMember

I have been wanting to get rid of it for a while. I dont use it or post or check it anymore. I finally did it. Its deleted.

So I am social media free :). I dont use other identifiable social media either.

Anyone i want to talk to, I can just call or text. And maybe I have seen too much Dr. Phil. With baby pictures being stolen and passed off as belonging to strangers (one mom's twins pictures were being used and by a strange woman stalker, eventually she found the home address and real time stalked them). Ugh. Cant be the only time. I dont want my beautiful grand on social mecia. Nor does Princess who also has no social media. Not that my girls can not take care of themselves, but catfishing is rampant too. Both girls have been messaged by strange men, but they never answered. Jumper is still a social media presence but uses it sparsely.

Most of all, I am just not interested in social media. This is the only place I post because its ananymous.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
Underneath your post is a giant add to join FB.

You are wise as I understand FB is hacked a lot and there is an inordinate amount of marketing mining.

I’ve done some cleaning up and limiting. I don’t use my photo in that ID shot. I do not include my birthday or city or state or occupation. I don’t include my last name.

I rarely mention trips and if I do I mention them way after they occurred with limited photos.

I greatly limit photos of grands and try to use vague shots.

I am using it a little less than before.

I find it a little creepy.

Tired out

FB.. I don't have it on my phone, only on my laptop. I have all my setting to maximum privacy. Friends ( I only have 112 most are family and extended family and friends from when I was a little kid) can't even post or tag me on my timeline. I rarely post on my timeline. I belong to some groups, mainly special needs forums. I never gave it access to my phone number and I used a junk email to sign-up, not the email I use for "real" stuff..
My nephew's favorite saying is "The internet is the root of all evil"

BusynMember

Many people know how to hack. My daughters SO can hack but has no interest in doing that but assures us its not hard for many.

Why put your personal stuff on the internet?

I think it is getting more risky. It I want to send out pictures of say my grand, I can take a picture and text it to safe people. That protects her. The whole lot of FB "friends" and their friends dont need to see her. There is a lot of picture stealing.

TerryJ2

SWOT,
I'm still on FB, partly because it's the easiest way to send out an announcement for a reading, a book signing or an art show.
I like to see posts by friends who travel. And I like to wish people a happy birthday and all that.
And I occasionally get into political discussions but I try to keep them philosophical ... but more and more, people just don't comment. Which is fine.
Yes, the ads get obnoxious, but I sometimes click "like" so I will get more of a particular kind of ad, or notices to join private boards about dogs, or dementia.
I spend a fair amount of time on a private dementia board.
I have only been hacked to the extent that *I* ended up in people's private messaging but everyone figured it out.
Occasionally, I have to take a break because there are too many memes that have not been researched and they are just intended to flame. I've got plenty to do with my family, yard, art and writing. And I'd like to exercise more. :)

BusynMember

Terry, if you enjoy it, do.it!!!

I have quit FB for over a year but sometimes old "memories" come up which exposes my family pictures and I would rather they not be on my social media. Especially my grand. Next year when Jumper marries she plans to have kids fast (she has been with her fiance for five years and they have a house and good jobs and retired parents (ahem) who will gladly babysit). I dont want those babies on my social media.

We are all different. Regarding FB there is no right or wrong things to do. I have never engaged much with FB. My family and friends can be reached by texting. My kuds all took down FB except Jumper and she isnt really active with it.

Nomad

Staff member
No right or wrong is true.

But in my humble opinion, pulling back is wise. Limit detailed information.

by the way, the weird and narcissistic folks on the other thread I just posted about in WC started a blog recently on their S e x life. Giving advice. It is suppose to be serious like they are experts. I assure you, they aren’t. It’s opened my eyes to the extreme B S on social media, especially FB.

Nomad

Staff member
Sick.

So combined that with the other info I posted if you don’t mind.

“Special “ parents. Cough. And their ODD , attachment disordered child.
I have a migraine. For real.

BusynMember

I am really sorry, Nomad. Maybe your daughter in law should do the holidays at her house.

Oh I know we want to please the spouse of our children. I get it. But dont you wish?

Lil

Generally, I like facebook. I enjoy the games. I enjoy knowing what old friends are up to. I like seeing new grand-babies and dogs and what-have-you. I don't like it around any election times...I end up snoozing too many family members. lol I take any "news" with a grain of salt.

I recently managed to find an old friend...last time I saw her was my wedding to Jabber! I never had an email address for her and I lost her postal address. Turns out, she'd lost mine! I found her by searching her name and found a profile photo that had 5 kids - the number she has - and the only kid named was her daughter, who has a rather unusual name. So I sent her a message and about a week later she messaged me, then called! We had such a lovely conversation, exchanged addresses again, and now are FB friends. She was my college roommate for 3 years and lived at my house one summer.

So it has it's merits. I don't put anything financial on there of course. I don't "friend" anyone I haven't personally met, except a few old friends from when Weight Watchers had forums. If someone wants to use my photos...I don't care. I'm not posting anything that I could see being an issue. I don't approve incoming messages from anyone I don't know and if someone I DO know sends me a link, I check with them on their page to make sure they actually sent it. If not, I delete. You have to be aware of the possibilities of scams and such.

But it's not for everyone. I'm certainly of the opinion that the world was a better place without the anonymity of the internet in general. It was more - kind? That's not the word I'm looking for...maybe polite?

Live and let live. :)

BusynMember

I dont mind it for anyone else. I just really didnt use it much and get pictures etc. by texts, which I do a lot.

I found old friends way back from high school but we are very different now and did talk on the phone a few times but that was it. Taking down my FB takes me out of contact with them but they never posted much anyway. I can always call or text them.

For me this is a good thing but many love FB. It wouldn't exist otherwise :) I

Last edited:

Tired out

I think of the following and my (sick?) personality smiles (like the grinch).
last time (2018) I was back to the town where I grew-up (about 1200 people) I ran into a girl I went to high school with. She said, "Oh, I tried to find you on facebook (why? to creep) I wanted to send you a friend request (umm..we weren't friends) Don't you have a computer?" My thought," LOL , No I live in 1985 with Marty McFly" My answer, "My fb account is set to private. Only friends of friends can send me friend request and the list is short."
The look on her face..she needs Botox. Then, "oh wow! I have over 500 friends! (my thought..never mind it is dark) my fb name is my name and I have my married name in parenthesis" (becasue it changes so often?) Ok I am a ...
Me, "ok. I'll look".. no of course I didn't. Good Lord.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I enjoy it but sometimes I get sick of it also.

I keep up with family and friends. I do not follow people that are super political as I am not and their opinion has no more merit than mine!

I let it serve ME and I do not serve it!

AppleCori

I have Facebook, but I don’t use it every day. Two or three times per week usually, and not for a long amount of time.

I have family members all over the country that I keep in touch with, and I want to see the pics of my nephews and nieces as well as young cousins. I have lots of siblings—full, half, step. Lots of relatives from prior marriages of various people that I want to keep up with.

Very little political stuff from the people I am friends with.

I also have a few groups that are on Facebook that I belong to, and it would be next to impossible to be a part of if I didn’t have it.

Nomad

Staff member
SWOT, I temporarily deactivated my account today.
I checked off a seven day option provided. I wish they had a larger number. I plan on using it very sparingly ...perhaps using this optional pause often.
One of my many issues with it is actually an odd one . I see patterns in folks. When they change their pattern, I tend to wonder what’s going on. I also find it creepy when I see outlandish inconsistencies ...kind of lies really. The BS is sometimes funny, other times maddening. I need breaks. I like the photos.
When I come back, I will unfriend many folks.
Post only when I have a major event or a special photo.
I’ll figure it out.
I want it to be useful / helpful for me and family or close friends. Not annoying or the creepy narcissistic vehicle it almost always is.

BusynMember

Nomad....Merry Christmas!

By the time I took down my account, I wasnt using it anymore and all my kids but Jumper had taken theirs down first (and she rarely posts). I have a small family and small, tight group of volunteer friends I see almost every day so no reason to have an account. I text anyone I want to talk to. Send pictures the same way. I no longer feel its my place to put anyone else's picture up, even my kids, and would rather keep grands off internet. And nobody needs to see my ugly mug lol. I just want to stay awaY from FB.

I never did check FB often, but by the time I gave it up, I didnt look at all.

I dont like the bragging, fakeness, and of course the religious and political posts.

I haven't missed it.

The only places I check on the internet are this one forum (addicted to CD) and my e-mail account. And Youtube! Love Youtube!! But rarely post an opinion

I am sorry you are having a bad experience FB. I think a lot of people are giving it up. I never thought FB was helpful or useful. More of a place for people to try to look good for other people in some way. That is in my opinion its main function.

Take care!

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
Not being on FB has been weird. BUT, more positive than negative.

I had two friends check up on me. One wanting to know if I had some sort of trouble in my life. It is inconceivable to them to leave fb.

I use to think fb was a great pastime for me as I get fatigued and when I take a rest or break, I would check my friends or post things.

But especially since there were a couple of people in my in law family (in particular) who were / are very very strange ....competitive, narcissistic tendencies... huge exaggerations...I would find myself frustrated and so “gobsmacked” at times I wanted to check every ten minutes to see if any updates.

One time I read a post to my husband while at a restaurant that was so insane that he shouted an obsenity in the restaurant after I told him who posted it. Other than the embarsssment, I actually find that moment rather funny as my husband is actually a very calm guy.

Now, if I have to rest, I come here or google something interesting /educational.

I do NOT miss the BS at all!!!!
It has been interesting.
I thought I would return now and then.
Maybe not.

BusynMember

I quit long ago and havent missed one narcissistic post, photo or the drama and politics/religion. I will never go back.

My go to site for learning, resting and fun facts is YouTube. I really love it, I am embarassed to admit :) i check here a lot too. We are doing Christmas today but Im in the car to pick up Sonic from work and bring him to Juumpers house where we are having the festivities....and guess what? I am HERE on this forum...very addicted to this site as well as YouTube. Other than these two places, I dont go anywhere except email.

Last edited:

Tired out

I'll tell you (to me) what's funny. Is when people ask me.."Did you see my fb post, you didn't like or comment?" The look on their faces when I say "nope" . I don't need to their show off embellished life. I still have fb and "friends' but I have clicked the unfollow button on everybody except the travel group "Universal Informer" I love seeing all the tips for the parks. The people in that particular group aren't braggy at all.
My daughter never posts, says she should just delete her account.