great anxiety from what I hear is simple procedure.

Jody

I have to have a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy procedure done next week. I am terrified. I am not terrified that it is so painful, just the embarrassment of it all. I am overweight a lot and I just can't imagine having this done. I have iron deficient anemia and they can't figure out what's going on thus the test. I know it's a very personal question and you might not know personally bit maybe had a friend who went thru it. Help, I want to feel better but I also want to skip this test, and know that I have to go thru it if I ever want to feel better.

flutterby

Fly away!
I haven't had the upper endoscopy, but have had a colonoscopy - within the last 6 or 8 months or so. It isn't bad at all. The doctors do this all the time; there is nothing to be embarrassed about. They've seen it all and then some.

If it makes you feel better, you're under twilight sedation and won't be aware of what's going on, nor remember any of it.

Jody

well that is definately cool. I am glad that I won't remember any of it. Though I was under twilight sleep having a tooth cut out and I remember most everything. Surgeon was talking away with the dental hygeniest and I heard it all. They didn't say anything that they shouldn't have but I definately heard everything. I hope this time that it works for real, the less that I remember about this the better.

trinityroyal

I've had the upper endoscopy, and it's pretty-much as Heather describes for the colonoscopy (except that they're starting at the opposite end). Twilight sedation, can't feel anything. I remember the procedure, but there was no pain at all and everything was very fuzzy and blurry.

The only after-effect was a sore throat for most of the next day. I drank lots of hot lemon water with honey, and it cleared right up.

Tell your doctor about your previous experience with sedation. They might be able to adjust the amount of medication they give you to make sure that you're as "under" as you need to be.

Trinity

skeeter

husband has inherited the gene for colon cancer (his mother died before age 60 with it).

We refer to them as his "photo opportunities" after his doctor brought out all the pictures and showed me in minute detail exactly what he had done, including tattooing husband's colon where some polyps were removed.

husband swears the worst part is drinking all the (what we refer to as Drano) before hand. He didn't mind the Fleet so much, but they took that off the market.

He just had his done about 3 weeks ago, and since nothing was found is good for another 5 years. For a time we were going every 3 months, then 6, then a year, then 3 years.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have had the endoscopy. It wasn't a big deal. The room my doctor uses for procedures was partly a file room. It had lots of moving shelves that could be pushed on their tracks to one part of the room. Files were locked, but it was the only part that was noteworthy. I mostly noticed because I would LOVE to have shelves like that in my home, LOL!

My mom has done the colonoscopy quite a few times. She says it is no big deal Even the clean out before is not really a big deal. She has even had the doctor pull her out of the sedation with the tube in so she can see what is going on. She has done this for both the colonoscopy and the endoscopy. I don't mind seeing the tapes after, but don't think I would enjoy them during the test.

I had a lot of anxiety before the endoscopy, but it really wasn't a big deal. The part that was the most unpleasant was passing the air they blow up the intestines/bowels with. They have to pump in air so that they can see everything. So it has to come out at some point. I found that the gas relief gels sold at the store (like gas X) were very helpful, as was drinking a lot of water afterward.

I hope that they can find a way to help you. While no one wants a problem, if you are feeling yucky and they find a problem they would be much closer to figuring out how to help you feel better.

Lots of gentle hugs.

oh - depending on your drive to the doctor, you may want to take a rice bag that can be heated in a microwave. Most convenience stores will let you use the microwave, as will the doctor if you ask. A heated rice bag will help with any cramping or discomfort from the air they pump in.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I've had both done. The worst part is the prep. Seriously. If you're like most people, you won't remember anything of the procedure, and next thing you know, you'll be waking up in recovery!

Don't know how you respond to anesthesia, but for some people (like me), there can be some nausea for a few hours afterwards. I made the mistake of stopping for a big lunch afterwards -- I was hungry after the cleanout. Well, I didn't get to enjoy my lunch for very long! :tongue: So take it easy that day, and be sure to have someone drive you home.

I hope all goes smoothly for you and that they get some answers for you!

KTMom91

My mom's had several, and she says the worst (after drinking the yucky stuff to clean everything out) is the gas afterward that sometimes becomes oily liquid farts. She has Depends around for the day after just in case.

flutterby

Fly away!
Hmmm....I didn't have the oily liquid farts. Thank goodness. However, I had been having a lot of abdominal distension and pain prior to the colonoscopy, so everything was already inflamed. My abdomen was very sore for about a week after because of the air they pump in and already inflamed intestines. From what I hear, that is not normal. The docs certainly didn't think it was normal.

The prep wasn't even bad. I mean, the stuff didn't taste the greatest, but no cramps or anything. Just make sure you're close to a bathroom at all times.

BusynMember

Jody, I've had both. They put you out for a colonscomy. The endoscopy was really nothing. You swallow a light, which is as easy as swallowing anything, and it doesn't hurt at all. Didn't even cause me any discomfort. Relax :tongue:.

susiestar

Roll With It
Depends are a great idea. You can even get samples online if you check out some of the companies that make them. Just google "depends" or "tena" or whatever. The companies are usually happy to send samples out. I keep a sample or two around in case I have to go have some medical procedure done, as we are over an hour from anywhere that would do them properly.

hugs.

Nancy

I just had a colonoscopy two months ago. I was scared also but agree that by far the worst part was drinking the stuff the day before. The actual procedure was a piece of cake. You are asleep the entire time and don't feel or hear a thing.

Good luck, you will be relieved when it's over and if nothing is found you are good for ten years.

Nancy

Jody

It's over. I Made it thru it. I was in a weird sleep. I would hear eerything that they talked about and even joined in the conversation. I guess they didn't want me hearing everything so they gave me a little more whatever they gave me, but I could still here them. Not something I want to go thru again, but glad that it's over and don't have to worry about it. Thanks for all of your information.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Some people are in a type of "twilight" sleep like you experienced. In my case, I have to be put under further because I become uncooperative :tongue: During my upper scope, I tried to pull the tube out and I remember hearing the doctor saying "Please don't do that! DON'T DO THAT!" :rofl: My mom, on the other hand, prefers to be awake and actually WATCHED her procedure on the video screen. She said she was a little chatterbox, asking all sorts of questions. She said the doctor just laughed at her. :D

susiestar

Roll With It
My mom has them wake her up to watch also!! The doctor thinks it is funny because she chatters the whole time too. Wonder what it is with those Gmas?

I am glad you got through it okay. I don't think anyone likes it, but I am glad it wasn't too bad.

Jody

They were talking about the Bachorlette and who had got kicked off. I hadn't got to watch it that week so it was informative. I did hear him say (Dr.) he found one. I said found one what? LOL, he laughed and the nurse explained it to me, she said did you hear me okay, I said yep. Dr. said she won't remember a thing when she gets back to the recovery room. I did remember it though. They were having a good old time while the procedure was going on. At least they weren't talking about me!!!

svengandhi

I had a lower GI series about 30 years ago because they couldn't figure out my stomach issues - turned out I had an ulcer at age 20. I moved out of my parents' house and it went away. The one and only piece of advice I have is - make sure you are home when you take the cleansing stuff. Nobody warned me and I took it just before leaving my job (worked at Two World Trade Center in those days) and had to get off the subway SIX times to find a bathroom. I was fine afterwards.

I also had an upper GI a couple of years ago. I was asleep and had no pain afterwards.

I need to have a new colonoscopy and I am looking forward to the cleansing process to jump start my diet. I am a huge fat pig now and I know they will probably laugh about me when I'm asleep but I am now past 50 and need to get a baseline.