Great Healthy Recipes Found Here!

LittleDudesMom

Here's a new sticky thread for us to post our favorite healthy recipes. The other thread was getting a little long.

With summer here, I bet you all have some great grilling and/or fresh vegetable and herb recipes.

Let's hear 'em!

Sharon

P.S. The older recipe post can be found on the new Healthy Living Archive Forum!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Spicy Oven-Fried Chicken

1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
2 tsp hot pepper sauce (I don't do any since husband doesn't like spicy)
8 (5oz) skinless bone-in chicken thighs. (I use boneless and cut down on the time)

1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs (I use Italian glavored)
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper.

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a roasting pan with foil; spray the rack of the roasting pan with nonstick spray and place it in the pan. (I don't have a rack so I just use the pan with-o the foil.

2. Combine the buttermilk and hot pepper sauce in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Place the chicken in the buttermilk mixture, turning to coat. Set aside.

3. Combine the bread crumbs, almonds, salt and pepper on a shallow plate. Dip the chicken into the crum mixture, turning to coat all sides. Discard the excess buttermilk mixture and bread crumb mixture. place the chicken on the rack; lightly spray the chicken with nonstick spray (I use one with olive oil with it).

4. Bake 20 minutes, then lightly spray the chicken again with nonstick spray. Bake until the chicken is golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted in a thigh registers 186 degrees-about 25 minutes longer (I don't use the thermometer.

For anyone following ww points it is 5 points per serving and makes 8 servings.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Pepper Steak Heroes

3 assorted color bell peppers sliced

1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 (1/4) pound beef cube steaks
4 (2oz) whole-wheat hero rolls split and toasted.

1. Spray a large nonstick skilled with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers and cook, stirring frequently until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, salt and black pepper; cook until the vegetables are lightly browned and softened, about 8 minutes longer. Transfer the vegetable mixture into a bowl and keep warm.

2. Wipe out the skillet. Spray the skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and cook until browned and cookd through, about 2 minutes on each side.

3. Place 1 steak in each roll and top with the bell pepper mixture.

Six ww points foe those interested.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Steak with roasted garlic and chili rub

4 large garlic cloves unpeeled
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1.4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1 (1 pound) boneless sirloin steak, trimmed of all visible fat.

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wrap the garlick in foil and place on a baking sheet; roast until softened, 10-12 minutes. Remove the garlic from the oven. Spray the broiler rack with nonstick spray; preheat the broiler.

2. When cool enough to handle, squeeze the garlic from its paper skin into a small bowl. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt; stir and mash together. Rub the steak on both sides with the garlic and chili mixture.

3. Increast the oven temperature to broil. Broil the steak 3 inches from the heat until done to taste, about 5 minutes on each side for medium.

Per serving 3 WW points, makes 4 servings.

I double the seasoning rub and toos with bell peppers and mushrooms and broil right along side the steak.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Rosemary-garlic baked chicken

1 small onion, chopped

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 Tbs chopped fresh rosemary
2 garlic cloves cloves cut into thin slivers
1/2 tsp salt
1 (3 1/2 pound) chicken, cut in eighths, skin removed. (I use boneless skinless chicken breasts.

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with nonstick spray.

Combine the onion, vinegar, oil mustard, rosemary, garlic, and salt in a small bowl.

3. Place the chicken in the baking pan. Spoon the onion mixture on top of chicken is browned and chicken. Bake until the chicken is browned and cooked through (do not turn), about 45 minutes (usually less time with the skinless, boneless chicken breasts)

6 servings
5 ww points

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lasagna Soup

Believe it or not, the kids and husband both loved this. And lots of leftovers. AND it's EASY EASY! Seems like a lot of ingredients but it's really not.

Ingredients:
water (some - depends on your stock pot!)
2 cans beef broth OR 3 cubes beef bouillon - the more you make, the more you need
1 can tomato soup
1 can diced tomatoes or 3 medium/large fresh tomatoes, diced
1 box bowtie pasta
1 lb. mild sausage or ground beef
mozzarella cheese (chunk is better, shredded okay)

parmesan cheese
basil
oregano
parsley
garlic (powder or minced)
onion (powder or minced)
salt
pepper

Put water in stock pot with broth/bouillon and bring to a boil. While you're waiting, begin browning meat. You're looking for a result of small chunks of meat like you would do for sloppy joes or tacos.

As water heats and you're waiting for the meat to cook, add some of the basil, oregano, parsley, garlic, and onion to the water. (If you're using fresh or minced garlic, and fresh onion, throw in with the meat instead.)

When water boils, toss pasta in. Keep at slow boil. Continue browning meat, adding diced tomatoes. When the meat has finished browning, add it to the pasta. Pour in tomato soup. Stir well.

When the pasta looks about done (some people like this al dente, others squishy), remove from heat, throw chunks of mozzarella in, stir. Wait 5-10 minutes and serve. Sprinkle bowls with Parmesan.

Salt and pepper are optional and to taste.

LittleDudesMom

Sounds like something I might like to try. I actually am getting the ingrediants for vegetable soup since it will be chilly and damp here tomorrow! Fall starts the soup cooking around here!

How many servings does that make? I want to "deconstruct" it so I can figure out the points on WW. I can definately omit the moz added to the soup and just sprinkle the parm on each each serving and use the 90/10 or even 95/5 beef.

Thanks!

Sharon

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Errrrr I have no clue whatsoever as to how many servings. It depends on the size of your stock pot!

However, I can guesstimate that a serving is about 1.5 cups / 12 ounces.

That's a guesstimate. I don't worry about exact calorie numbers so ...Sigh... It is high in sodium, though.

ScentofCedar

As many of you know, I cannot use wheat, dairy, chocolate, caffeine, tomatoes, bananas, or peanut butter. Finding recipes has been a challenge, but this soup is delicious! The secret to it's great flavor is baking the squash first with the onion and garlic inside. Really, you won't believe the difference in flavor. This recipe does require homemade chicken stock, because I cannot tolerate the canned stocks ~ but if you can use them, all the better! To make homemade chicken stock, just put all your raw chicken trimmings into a pan, add water,celery,a carrot, onions, and salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a simmering boil. Cook for an hour and a half or so. Leave the pan on the stove overnight (I do, anyway). In the morning, I strain the broth, throw the veggies and chicken pieces away, and freeze the broth in sandwich size zip-lock baggies. Perfect size for soups or gravies and nothing in there that I can't eat.

:)

Squash Soup

Split an acorn squash in half. Scoop out the seeds. Fill the hollow with olive oil, four cloves of garlic, and sliced onions. Season to taste. Bake at 350 for an hour or until the squash is fork tender. You can scoop the squash out once it has cooled and freeze it for later use, or go ahead and make the soup.

Putting the soup together: Everything goes into the saucepan ~ the garlic cloves, the onion, the squash (not the peel) and the oil. Add about one cup of chicken stock. Using an immersion blender, heat and blend til smooth. For those who can use it, a dollop of cream (or sour cream) on top of the hot soup would be delicious.

This soup is so good, and so good for us. You could use any kind of squash ~just be sure to bake it with the garlic, onion and oil before you make the soup.

It's really good!

Barbara

TerryJ2

This isn't a recipe but I was unsure of where to put it. It is very interesting!

Wine:
Generally all wine is gluten free, but it is best to check with the manufacture to make sure that there are no glutinous additives incorporated
into the wine and to also ensure that they were stored in gluten free storage tanks. Some wines are aged in barrels that once contained
another substance that could have held a glutinous product. This is rare, but can happen. Also you will want to avoid Wine Coolers. Wine Coolers are NOT Gluten Free, because they contain barely malt.
There is also some concern with cross contamination with wines that involves the practice of sealing the barrels with a flour/water paste
that is common with European Union barrel manufacturers. Most US based manufactures currently use a neutral food grade paraffin to
seal the barrels during the construction process, but there are some manufacturers that import and use the flour/water based barrels. I
spoke with the Kendall Jackson winery regarding this subject and what the risks of cross contamination might be when U.S. wineries use imported barrels from Europe and the consultant I spoke with, stated that all barrels used for storing wine go through a cleaning process
in which the barrels are cleaned using a high pressure test with hot water to remove any flour prior to filling. I personally believe any loose
flour would be removed but not all of the hardened paste mixture, therefore, I am hesitant to recommend any brands of wines, except the
ones I have confirmed do not use this process of sealing their barrels. Wines that are almost always made without barrel aging are Whites: Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, Italian Pinot Grigio, Bag-In-The-Box wines; and Reds: Bag-In-The-Box wines. Below is a list
of wines that I have confirmed are gluten free. The more expensive a wine is the more likely it is barrel aged and that is where you could find gluten.​
  • Beringer​
  • Fenn Valley​
  • Five Oaks​
  • Ingleside - Only the Blue Crab Blanc and Blue Crab Blush, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Rosato de Sangiovese, Viognier, The Rose, and October Harvest.​
  • Kendall Jackson​
  • La Rocca - All wines are not only gluten free, they are sulfite free too​
  • Louis Jadot - Only the Maconnais and Beaujolais are made in stainless cask. Their other wine are made in barrels sealed with water and flour.​
  • Meridian​

LittleDudesMom

Terry,

thanks for posting the information - it might get a little lost here in the recipe thread - would you consider moving it to it's own post on this forum to make sure that folks see it?

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thought I would post a recipe I made for dinner tonight. It was from one of my WW cookbooks. Everyone loved it (well, except difficult child who never eats anything with protein unless it's processed).

Quick Chicken Cacciatore

3 TBS all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
4 (1/4 pound) skinless boneless chicken breast
1 TBS olive oil
2 onions chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped (I used three)
1 (8 oz) package sliced musgrooms
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes

1. Mix the flour, 1/4 tsp of the salt, and the pepper on a sheet of wax paper or a plate. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.

2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet, then add the chicken. Cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate.

3. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and saute until softened. Add the mushrooms and saute until they soften. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until the liquid evaporates. Stir in the tomoatoess and the remaining 1/4 tsp of salt, then return the chicken to the skillet. Reduce the heat, cover , and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.

Per serving: 271 cal, 7 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 69 mg Chol, 555 mg sod, 19g carb, 3 g Fib, 28 g prot, 67 calc. Points 6.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I just made this and it's very good.

Chicken Marsala

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour for coating
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded 1/4 inch thick
    • 4 tablespoons butter
    • 4 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 cup sliced mushrooms
    • 3/4 cup Marsala wine

Directions

• In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.
    • In a large skillet, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan, and lightly brown. Turn over chicken pieces, and add mushrooms. Pour in wine and sherry. Cover skillet; simmer chicken 10 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink and juices run clear.