Grey's Anatomy & Autism

Steely

Did anyone see last Thurs episode, where the Autistic or Aspergers Dr asks 2 people to squeeze her to calm her down?

This was a scene that was undoubtedly done with a lot of research into Autism, and in my opinion, the writers had read Temple Grandin's book. It was really interesting, and yet I wonder how much was dismissed or lost on the layman.

It will be interesting to see if they are able to bring this doctors mental health issues full circle into the public realizing & validating the needs and conditions of AS or Autistic people.

PS
And if any of you have not watched The Big Bang Theory - you have to. Leonard embodies our AS kids as successful adults. It is also really well scripted with writers who seemingly to understand the AS condition.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Yes, I saw it. She's been on the show a couple of times. The chief referenced her autism in one of his frustrated diatribes about the staff.

I thought the holding scene was comical (Christina's face!)...and became very touching (no pun intended) as it became obvious that all 3 women needed a hug at that point.

Suz

Lothlorien

Christina's facial expression was too much! I really love when shows like this get away from the norm and enlighten people. I was just telling husband about the whole Temple Grandin thing and the cow hugger that she invented and how it all related with her autism. Then bam! It was on the show that night.

M

ML

Society is starting to get a clue. It is very exciting for those of us worried about understanding for our kids as they get older. We are fortunate to live in todays world when enlightenment is beginning to emerge :)