Guys? I missed Grey's Anatomy AGAIN!!!

ScentofCedar

So, what happened?

I got to see the part where everyone was called to do triage. Then, I saw Meredith bumped into the water at the end.

I swear, it is the funniest thing!

This is the only show I watch AND SOMETHING IS ALWAYS COMING UP SO THAT I MISS MOST OF IT.

So, I will be watching tonight.

Barbara

Fran

Former desparate mom
It was intense, Barb. I am going to watch it again.
There are just so many nuances that I miss the first time
around. My teens squealed when it was over. They can barely
stand to wait a week.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
I can't wait, either! And I'm watching again tonite, too.

I have a theory about Meredith's accident. They took great pains to point out her mom's surgery has been delayed due to the Mass Casualty incident. I think her mom will be in surgery, and Meredith will 'visit' her there, while Meredith herself is....ah.....recovering from her under water experience.

That's my theory.

I LOVE how Christina told Burke NOT to tell anyone before she could tell Meredith! And I love how she couldn't tell Meredith cuz how yukky her "What" was to Christina!

Peace

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Excellent episode - I loved all the comments on the chief's hair! LOL

Wasn't the pregnant burn victim...not creepy, just like you wanted to hold her hand? Uh - so sad.

Nancy

At first I thought the little girl was deaf and that's why she wasn't answering Meredith.

Does anyone else notice the tone Burke takes with Christine? It's a condescending tone, like when he told her she was with her friends for 45 minutes and it never occurred to her to tell them about the engagement. I'm not liking the way he treats her. I wouldn't put up with it for a minute. She needs a backbone with him. She's so accomplished in her professional life but she is putty in his hands. She could find herself being emotionally abused.

It looks like all the relationships are going to fall apart though. Callie and George don't seem to be doing very well either. Doesn't look like business and pleasure are mixing very well.

Nancy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
This is from Shonda Rhimes blog. She's the creator, writer, genius behind GA. Her thoughts about this episode and it will shed lots of light...:

http://www.greyswriters.com/2007/02/shonda_on_walk_.html

Shonda on "Walk on Water"

"Holy crap, am I glad it is my turn to blog again! I have missed it, let me tell you! How is everyone? You still out there? Still good?

Or are you yelling and screaming at your TV sets and cursing my name for throwing Meredith into the water and then rolling the credits on you?

I don’t blame you for the cursing. But please remember that next week, things get even more interesting and then the week after that, they get REALLY interesting. I don’t want to talk about it. Or give anything away….

Which means there’s not much I can blog about. :censored2: it. I can tell you that this episode (as well as the next) was directed by the famous Bossy McBossy Rob Corn. And that before he had a script, he kept coming into my office to say in that quiet, calm voice of his: “YOU. ARE. KILLING. ME.”

See, it’s that time of year again. That time of year when I get all sick and flu-y and my brain goes stupid and so I start to lie face down on the carpet in my office threatening to flee the country because my ability to write has clearly leaked out of my ear while I was sleeping. Every year, like clockwork, it happens. And every year, like clockwork, it takes me by surprise. You’d think I’d learn. But I don’t. I don’t learn.

So Bossy McBossy is waiting for pages and I’m gathering my passport and calling the airports and Betsy (who sits in the office next to mine and keeps me sane) very kindly keeps coming in to remind me that I have pitched the entire 3 episode arc to her eight or nine times in vivid detail over the past five months. All I have to do, she says (using, I might add, the exact same voice one uses with a three year old who won’t give you the sharp objects in her mouth), all I have to do is WRITE DOWN the things I have pitched her. All I have to do PUT THEM ON PAPER.

HA!

Everyone knows the key component of serious, rampant procrastination is the inability to put anything on paper.

Okay, I am actually procrastinating by writing about procrastinating. On to the point, which is this: Rob Corn worked his behind off shooting this episode with pages being fed to him as he shot and for that, I will no longer be referring to him as Bossy McBossy. Instead from this moment on, I will call him by his new tribal name: Shoots With No Script.

Now, Shoots With No Script will tell you that I had very definite ideas about this episode. And I did. But they were all character-based. They were all about Meredith’s attitude and the little girl and Izzie and her tub of butter and Cristina and the notion that, in choosing to marry, she fears that she is LITERALLY being left behind in more ways than having to stay at the hospital while everyone goes to the accident site. They were all about Derek and Burke and their conversation about “these women” and Richard and his badly dyed hair. My thoughts were all about disappearing.

They were not about things that Shoots With A Script needed to know. They were not, for instance, about what the ferry should look like when we first see it. Because, if you know anything about me, you know I don’t want to think about hurting a ferry boat. I, like McDreamy, have a thing for ferry boats. Ferry boats are awesome and, in fact, very safe. Ferry boats are amazing.

Ferry boats are a metaphor for Meredith, you know.

What I was interested in was Meredith and how she was doing after being hurt by her mother. And the devastation of the ferry boat was the best way to physicalize Meredith’s pain.

The little girl? She’s also a metaphor for Mer. A motherless lost girl who can’t speak for herself and disappears? Okay, that’s too obvious. But you all know Meredith’s been doing a dance with death for some time. Y’all know that if you’ve been watching. She’s dark, our girl. She’s dark and twisty. And I worry about her.

Now, I’m really worried about her because she’s in the water and I want to be clear with you: I don’t put people in the water for no reason. Meredith’s got issues, she’s got serious Mommy issues and she’s broken and she’s in the water.

I killed Denny. I blew up Dylan.

I’m not entirely playing by the rules of TV here.

There’s a point. And it’s coming. Shoots With A Script and I have our fingers and toes crossed that it works.

Because what happens next…well, just wait and see…

Okay, I rambled and I procrastinated and I should just stop writing and let you go ahead and yell at me now…"

February 09, 2007 in Shonda Rhimes | Permalink

Fran

Former desparate mom
Nancy, I thought his tone sounded very authoritarian too. I figured he is powerless with her, as is evidenced by not being allowed to tell anyone until Christina did what she wanted. He
seemed to punish her because it's the only way he could. At least that's what I thought. She is such a force.
(best defense is a good offense?) :smile:

busywend

I figure it is Burke's way of letting Christina know he sees her uneasiness and wants her to see it, too.

mstang67chic

Going Green
You guyyyyyyyyyys............ I missed it again Thursday night so I'm watching the rerun tonight. I hate this weekly thread because I always seem to miss the Thursday night episode.

Ok, I'm NOT going to read anymore of the thread but I'll be back once the show is over. (They just got to the mass trauma scene)

amy4129

Suz-
The blog writer does write about Merideth is is Merideth....I found the little girl to be kinda creepy.
Amy

mstang67chic

Going Green
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That CAN NOT be the end!!!!!!!!! And they are making us wait a WEEK (I mean SERIOUSLY) to find out what happens????????????????????????

kris

it was a fabulous episode but i expected nothing less.

i disagree about burke & christine. he does have power over her. he disrespected her wishes....refuses to understand her intense need to not expose herself even to meridith, the closest thing she has to a best friend. he punishes her with-his silence & by giving her things that are way below her skill levels. in my opinion he's a bully. she has to play his way or she doesn't get to play.

i think that little girl will lead them to merideth. she will lead derek to where she got knocked off the doctor.

poor izzie....probably the most insecure of the group & the one with-the person who needs the most help!!!

i felt bad for alex when they pulled him off the pregnant woman's case. she clearly trusted him...with-darn good reason!

i couldn't tell...was george saying the woman's son had died or that he couldn't find him?

kris

donna723

Kris, I thought George was just saying that they hadn't found the womans son, but I may be wrong.

In real life, both of these marriages would have LOTS of issues to overcome and that plays in to it too. George and Christina are both interns... So George and Callie may be married and supposedly at home they are equal partners, but at work, Callie is still George's BOSS! And Burke is still Christina's boss too! That wouldn't be easy to contend with on any job!

And the little girl who was clinging to Meredith ... Maybe I'm the only one old enough to remember this, but she reminded me a lot of creepy little "Rhoda" in "The Bad Seed"!

ScentofCedar

Interesting that Izzy, who has been acting like a spoiled brat
lately because of the way she looks and the money, has been forced to function in this episode.

That is part of the reason I love this show.

Meredith and a ferry boat?

I wish I had seen the episode Thursday night. It is like you said, Fran ~ there are nuances we only catch
glimpses of on that first viewing.

So, how are the others of us seeing the water imagery? I missed that the mother's surgery had been cancelled. I
agree that the mother and Meredith will meet in some spiritual place while Meredith is under the water.

I don't think the writer CAN kill Meredith off ~ it is Grey's Anatomy, after all.

On Christina and Burke? If Burke were less stringent with Christina than he is with any other intern, she would
lose respect for him, I think.

It is very cool how this writer warms us to a character and then, portrays the character in a less than
flattering light while we switch our sympathies to one of the other characters.

From Izzy to George. Now George looks foolish but Izzy is redeeming herself.

And the emphasis is switching back to Meredith ~ who looked just awful throughout the episode.

THAT HAIR!

Barbara

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
"The little girl? She’s also a metaphor for Mer. A motherless lost girl who can’t speak for herself and disappears? Okay, that’s too obvious. But you all know Meredith’s been doing a dance with death for some time. Y’all know that if you’ve been watching. She’s dark, our girl. She’s dark and twisty."

I wonder if the little girl will end up being a figment of Meredith's imagination? Since Shonda is using her to be a metaphor, when she walked away, will we see her again? Is her purpose to the show over (the little girl's purpose)?

...and YES, she did look like Patty McCormack in "The Bad Seed." ...although I felt much sympathy for her instead of fear. I assumed she was mute with shock and pain, not evil....but come to think of it Donna---didn't Rhoda push her friend off a dock and the friend drowned ----oooohhhhh, that parallel is too weird to consider!!!

And, when Alex's pregnant patient recovers from the swelling and injuries, will she be beautiful and will they fall in love and drive Addison nuts with jealousy? Alex and the patient certainly made a connection with one another...

Suz