Has anyone tried EMDR therapy?

lovemysons

I am curious because next week I am going to be involved in this treatment and wondered if anyone knew anything about this and what their experience was like.

Thanks!

Copabanana

hi lms

i have not tried it but it is a very highly regarded and safe treatment often used to treat trauma. i believe it involves the stimulation of rapid eye moments.

ksm

I had 2 sessions. I hope it works for you. Maybe I should have tried a few more appointments...

Newksm

lovemysons

Ya…I don’t know what to expect. This is all new to me. It may take me several sessions too ksm.
I have a lot of anger towards my mom these days for things she put me through as a child and even the way she continues to hurt me today. And then of course there’s PTSD from living in a war zone with 2 difficult sons for so many years and then losing one so tragically last year.

I hope it helps!
I’ll let y’all know what I think afterwards.

Copabanana

dear lms--first, good luck with the emdr.

there is a free offer with audible audio books that I am going to sign up for. for one month you get 2 free audio books. i am signing up for 2 courses on mindfulness. great books science of mindfulness by ron siegel and buddhas brain by hanson I think. they are each 12 or 13 hour courses. there are books too. i buy them used. if you are interested we can do the courses together. there are zero reasons that our mothers need to be in our heads--or anybody or anything else we don't want there. you can read about the courses on amazon. the siegel one was recommended to me, in particular.

lovemysons

Thanks for the course suggestion Copa. You’re so thoughtful.
I know my mom is a very selfish person and is not interested in my happiness. She’s always been this way. It’s like desperately seeking something you can never have from my mom. It hurts so much!

Blighty

I made it through several of the lessons/weeks, but admit I got distracted with life as it takes quite a commitment of time. Its a fabulous resource and at no cost.

lovemysons

Well dang! Every time I post on the board that I have therapy, a counseling session etc it’s getting rescheduled lol. Now I won’t have EMDR therapy till first week of January. We’ll see!

lovemysons

I decided against EMDR therapy. My husband thinks it is too weird and similar to hypnosis. He doesn’t want me to do anything more to my brain other than take the 5 pills I take every night since my psychotic breakdown and Bipolar diagnosis.
But counseling is helping me!