TerryJ2

difficult child had a cup of coffee tonight at the school science expo. I was very upset with-him but didn't let it ruin the evening. We gave him his Vistaril and 1/2 clonidine but he is still awake. I just caught him watching TV. He is reading now.
He has a huge math test tomorrow. In a nice voice, I told him I expect him to get an A. He said he will.
Hmm.
I am starting to panic because easy child and husband will be in Honduras for a week in March, during Winter Break. I will have difficult child alone that entire week. I know one day we will spend in Difficult Child, dropping off easy child and husband at the airport, and I plan to go to one of the museums with-difficult child (he will balk but I am going to insist). The other days I have to stick to a routine so he doesn't mess up like he has been with-his schedule. I can have the tutor over a cpl times to play basketball, etc., and go to a movie, but other than that, I am at a loss. He is so hard to keep occupied.

I am so tired but can't sleep. This hoovers.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That little stinker! Doesn't he know Joe is a no go at night? Sheesh.

Can he tolerate the other 1/2 of the Clonidine? Just trying to think of what will help.

tiredmommy

Ugh. I had a late cup and can't sleep either. Of course I don't have a big math test in the morning...

I hope he's not too difficult in the morning.

As for spring break, is there someone that can stay at the house with the two of you? He may honeymoon with a neutral party in the house.

gwenny

Sorry you are having to go through this. I know caffeine and candy is a huge trigger for my difficult child. I hope he does well on his test tomorrow.

Thank you Terry for always responding with such kind words I truely appreciate it. I could never find 1 person to understand but now I have found this wonderful community.

Janna

Coffee. Addictive. D, too, takes with him in the morning. Unleaded of course. He likes the Sugar Free liquid creamers and Splenda. Now he's in the routine of it, loves it (I think he just loves the creamer LOL).

I know you MUST be totally wiped. *sigh* I'm sorry

K

Kjs

geeze, isn't it frustrating when they are up. Then complain they are tired when they have to get up!

My difficult child is up a lot at night. He turns on his TV. I get up and shut it off. I know if he had someone to talk to he'Learning Disability (LD) be texting them. then I would need to take the phone away too. but come 6am, he can't peel himself out of bed. What about your difficult child? Does he get up ok after sleepless nights?

Hope that A comes through for you.

house of cards

I remember when Major was doing the night time wandering, I laid down on blankets in front of his door. I actually caught him trying to step over me. Then I got a little smarter and slept down stairs on the couch. I would hear him and go to catch him and he would sleathily go through the dining room and up the stairs. I got better at catching him by going through the dining room. One time he even hid in the closet.

I have no problem with him being awake in his room, but it bugs me big time when he thinks he can do anything he wants, eat anything he wants...just because he wants to. There are other kids living here that are just as deserving of that last Pop Tart!! ugh

I wouldn't know how to deal with Major without the break I get from husband, I get stressed out and nasty when he is gone for a night....I'd get a new video game and bring it out on day 2.

WSM

We use two motion censing alarms from radio shack. We see difficult child into bed and place the alarms across the door, one on a table at elbow level and one on the floor. How we place them he can't get out of bed without one going off (so he can't go out windows). When both go off it's pretty loud. It has been successful at keeping difficult child in bed.

Sometimes when we have to get out by ourselves at night, husband and I will leave late for a restaurant or a movie and we put him to bed early-ish (8:30, rather than 9:30) with a light and books. The other kids don't want to babysit him if they have to watch him all the time (and you do have to keep him in direct line of sight or he will steal something or pocket something like syrup or paint to pour all over his room). But this is acceptable to them. And once every couple months we get to go out. By ourselves, alone.

We have two alarms because difficult child discovered that if we had one on the table he could crawl under it. And if we kept it on the floor, he could crawl on the dresser over it. The two alarms together provide a wall of about 6 feet that will set off the alarms.

It's been very good.

We also put a nannycam at the other end of the hall trained on him. He doesn't much care if he gets caught on tape, he just lies and excuses himself. But it gives us a good idea of what he was doing when he's sneaking around.

We haven't had any night incidents for over six months.

This would be more comfortable for you than sleeping across his door on or the couch.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102584

Janna

Hey Terry,

Just wondering how you made out today? How are you feeling? Any rest today my friend?

Thinking of you.

XOXOXOX

TerryJ2

Thank you all.
LOL! What do you mean, you all don't have a big math test today?
What a bunch of slackers.

I will talk to husband about an alarm. I highly doubt it will work because of the two dogs. One is deaf and one is blind. :(
So it looks like the couch for me.

Yes, I do need to wear him out. I've got the paperwork for the YMCA downstairs. I am still catching up from being sick last wk. Argh.

He was good this a.m. I was shocked. I made him tea with-caffeine and sugar. I figured since he knows it works, he would want it to stay awake. He only took one sip.

Today when I picked him up, he said he felt very hyper. I asked if he had any coffee, tea, or wheat today and he said no, absolutely not. I asked if it felt different than when he was on Zoloft, and he said yes, it's regular hyper, not the fast heartbeat he had b4.
When I ran through the list of caffeinated items, wheat, medications, etc. I added, "What is doing this? What do we do?"
He said,
"My body is doing it. I'm ADHD. Why do I have to be totally calm and boring, anyway?"

Hmm.

Last edited:

TerryJ2

ROFL!!!

Hey, he got an 87 on his math test! Woo hoo!
I just got an email.
And that's on 6 hrs sleep.
Maybe he will get a D instead of F for his final grade ... ;)

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good job for difficult child on the test. As for the up in the middle of the night-yuck! I remember when I found this place, it was the middle of the night and difficult child NEVER used to sleep!

Steely

Wow, that is great on his math test.

Does his mood get worse on less sleep?
If not, I hate to say it, but some people thrive on less.

He could also take some Benadryl on those nights when YOU need sleep.

Hugs.

TerryJ2

Thanks, Steely. We gave him Vistaril, which is supposedly stronger than Benadry. If not, we should go for an OTC antihistamine to get him to sleep!
The clonidine helps a tiny bit with-sleep.
It helps a LOT with-his anger and aggression, so he is not as combative any more. And the Adderall helps, too.