Ho, Ho, Ho...pe it's over soon!

SRL

So, not all of us are merry little elves this season and if that's you, this thread is for you, whether you're a grinch by nature or just not in the mood to do this.

Perhaps you just aren't wired up to deck the halls and make the season bright. Maybe life has dealt you blow after blow this year and all the festivity heightens the pain. Or maybe it's your difficult child that's out of control and you are just hanging on to get through. Maybe you're a lurker or newbie dealing with some seriously tough kiddo and just need to know you're among friends.

Me, I'm just not the ultra-cheery holiday type. My family is downstairs picking up and anticipating something festive and I'm upstairs looking at a mountain of dishes and wondering where I put the cheese ball recipe. My 15 year old just had the nerve to ask me what I wanted for Christmas and I told him NEVER to ask that question of a woman at 5pm on Christmas Eve.

Whatever the reason, this thread is for you. Now, you merry little elves just shoo out of here and play some reindeer games or whatever it is you do.

slsh

member since 1999
Oh SRL - bless you!!! I thought I was the only one.:christmaslights:

Fortunately for the kids, I married Santa Jr. :rofl:

klmno

SRL- I just realized that I love you- and I am not alone. :D

May some higher power get us through this.....pleeeaaassee....

SRL

Hey, I just got them all settled downstairs with the appetizer spread and a Christmas movie.

Now I need to start the dish mountain, bake some cookies, and cook for tomorrow so I'm looking around for a cheery epic movie that would be suitable for the occasion. I'm thinking maybeLord of the Rings.

Nice catch on marrying Mr. Christmas. I didn't think to put that in the job description. Drat!

tiredmommy

husband has called this Duckie's "pinnacle year" which means, in English, that she is driving us out of our skulls today. Thank goodness she has multiple Christmas books and has finally discovered (with my help) the Norad Santa tracking site. She was actually quiet for almost an hour.

She spent an inordinate amount of time today walking around the house saying "I can't believe it's Christmas Eve" and "I think I heard sleigh bells!".

I told our priest that our very own brightest little bulb was about to burn out after our early service.

Add to this the inlaws being here for early dinner and complaining about husband's siblings the entire time and a raging wind storm in process and I'm done. Did I mention the difficult child cat woke me at 5:30 this morning after I finally got to bed around 1:30?

Andy

My difficult child stated he is so tired today that he will have no trouble sleeping tonight. My vote is to keep them up late in hopes that they sleep in tomorrow. How do these kids who struggle to rise at 7:00 on a school day happen to figure it out on Dec 25th? 6:30 a.m. or earlier every single year?

I still have Santa gifts to wrap for all of us!

One of our pastor's wives invited us to Christmas dinner. easy child is the godmother of their grandchild. husband doesn't like to go places but I think this is a situation that he will have to go if the kids and I do.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I recall the days when I actually got all those Christmas decorations out. Now they stay boxed in storage. Its just work.

And this year, the whole flippin' season has been basically work, most of which was geared towards having a successful and somewhat enjoyable season with difficult child, and, thus, hasn't paid off much. Best day I had was last Saturday - difficult child's one good day.

I just want it over with. I want whatever "normalcy" this abnormal family had to return. As abnormal as it was, it was better than this.

Thanks for the scrooge party, SRL. I needed it.

lizzie09

lizzie
OMG SRL that was a brilliant post!!! I thought it was just me!

Its all getting too difficult. Normality will return soon.

We are definitely not alone!

SRL

Oh this is just peachy. We got my husband one small gift and I can't find it. And I had just enough wrapping paper (barely) to wrap it too.

Steely

Thank you SRL.........you made me laugh. I am so glad I am not the only one!!!!! My little internal chorus is dancing to:

:bah-humbug::xmasdancers:

This day is almost over!!!! This day is almost over.
And repeat.

KTMom91

I'm not feeling too cheery this morning, either. I'd planned to bake a cake, from scratch, make the frosting, tra la la. Then I got up. I don't feel good. Sent Hubby out to Walgreen's for a cake mix. Baked the cake. Came to check on the other Warrior Moms while the cake cools. Plenty of time, right, since lunch is at my mom's about 1:30 pm.

It is 11:15 am California time. Miss KT just called. Lunch is at noon. My cake is not frosted. I am not even close to being dressed. And I am not jolly.

SRL

Hey, all you Christmas non-fans--I hope you all survived the day. :faint:

We just got back from the in-laws where we did gifts and had dinner. When we arrived there (45 minutes away) I realized I'd left the jello, hot fruit, cookies, beef dip and the blasted cheese ball (of my Christmas Eve recipe search fame) at home in my fridge. Of course this was the one year mother in law didn't make a zillion jellos like usual.

All that work and I came bearing two boxes of crackers and a can of aeresol cheese. You know what they say: Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like a can of Easy Cheese.

smallworld

SRL, you left me hanging -- did you ever find husband's gift?

There are now 364 days until next Christmas. But who's counting?

SRL

It was close: I found the gift after we'd already woke him up to do presents. We were tying ribbon around one of those predecorated boxes as he was coming down the stairs.

There are now 364 days until next Christmas. But who's counting?

:wildone:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We survived.
The ex-in-law's came over for a few hours in the afternoon, which was wonderful. The we went to Two Brooms' in the evening, and, despite having told her off that morning, it went ok. She even gave me $100 for Christmas, and I momentarily felt guilty. It passed quickly, tho.
Funny, when the ex-in-law's came over, we exchanged gifts with them. They always get something for husband and I, as well as easy child 2 and wee difficult child, so everyone had one gift except for difficult child, who had 2, because the ex-in-law's had brought a gift from an out of town uncle. Later, at Two Brooms, wee difficult child had 2 gifts and easy child 2 had 3. Wee difficult child noticed and said it wasn't fair. I was explaining to him how he had 2 gifts at our house and easy child 2 only had one, and exactly at that point Two Brooms literally yelled "Well that's not very fair" before I could tell difficult child "now you are exactly even". After her little fit of "fairness", I made sure to loudly FINISH MY STATEMENT and then also pointed out, rather loudly, that easy child 2 had been to 4 Christmas gift exchanges at that point and had 2 more to go. Wee difficult child had 2, with 1 more to go. If she wanted to continue talking about "fair"...
easy child 2 caught the drift and said "yeah, I'm pretty lucky". Two Brooms dropped it.
difficult child only had one melt-down, and it was relatively minor. All in all, a success, albeit not one I care to repeat in the future.