How do I go about admitting a child to a Residential Treatment Center (RTC)? Need info badly!

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by nikiani, Jun 27, 2013.

  1. nikiani

    nikiani New Member

    I have a 12 year old that I've posted numerous things about. Basically, I need as much info from anyone as possible on the steps to getting him admitted to a Residential Treatment Center (RTC). He is in therapy and we are waiting to get a diagnosis in place. I need to get this moving as quickly as possible. He can no longer be in this house and his father and I don't know what to do with him. The pending diagnosis is Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), ODD, and antisocial personality disorder. I am in Wisconsin so if anyone has ANY info to help me with this, we would GREATLY appreciate it!
  2. Dixies_fire

    Dixies_fire Member

    I'm not sure what a Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is?
    But I'm thinking you want a hospital like a psychiatric hospital?

    My husban went in twice within the past six months. His therapist found the facility and admitted him the first time was voluntary the second time was not. I think your doctor has to be on board for insurance to cover it. I know that I am not much help and you posted this at 10am this morning, but that is all I have to offer. The doctor filled out his paperwork both times once he was admitted through the e r and from the er to intensive care then to the psychiatric hospital. His facility had long term and short term and had a wing for children both long term and short term.

    Good luck.
  3. Liahona

    Liahona Guest

    Does his therapist have any ideas? What about the wraparound people? They were the ones who helped me get difficult child 1 on SSI. Are there any short term places you can send him to first? For difficult child 1 to be admitted we had to send him to the short term place a few times first to prove to the insurance that he needed the Residential Treatment Center (RTC). What kind of treatment will your insurance cover? If you call the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and ask them what other families have done what do they say?

    *How are you holding up through all this?
  4. InsaneCdn

    InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

    DF: Residential Treatment Center (RTC) = residential treatment center. Typically, a longer-term facility than a psychiatric hospital handles. psychiatric hospital usually handles immediate crisis, Residential Treatment Center (RTC) handles long-term treatment.

    N: sorry I can't be more help on the real question, but I'm not in the USA.
  5. ForeverSpring

    ForeverSpring Well-Known Member

    There are people here who have used long term RTCs. Anyone help here?
  6. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    I apologize for not recalling your previous posts. on the other hand the feeling I get from your wording is that inappropriate sexual activity "may" be the issue of urgency. IF that or violent acts that are endangering others are involved I believe you can take steps to get him placed out of home via social services and/or law enforcement. Please note I do NOT have any personal experience with either of those major issues but I believe others here have had some success using those methods. I also think that some of the Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) children have come from foster/adopt programs and the parents have terminated their agreements once they realized the problems were severe and a threat to others.

    Once again "flying blind" i know there are Residential Treatment Center (RTC)'s with special programs that address children with sexual issues. What ever your problems are I wish you the very best. Hugs DDD
  7. Liahona

    Liahona Guest

    If you do contact cps for help be very careful it is like dancing with a gorilla. You will have no control and they could turn on you at any time. I have a friend who had a very bad experience with this. If Ian has hurt your daughters (or a neighbors kid) any one in authority will be required to report it, and it would be better if you reported it.

  8. ForeverSpring

    ForeverSpring Well-Known Member

    I didn't even think of that. Foster care.
  9. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    FYI, I just realized that I had read your other post "12 year old" and I felt that the other were right on target in offering helpful guidance. I'm rooting for you but I think it's going to be a hard road. Hugs DDD