How do you get rid of a giant zit?

KTMom91

If anyone has the punch line, feel free to share.

Miss KT woke up this morning with a huge red pimple on her chin, and taking a hot shower made it even bigger. It really doesn't look like a pimple to me; it's solid and she says it hurts when she touches it.

Right now she's made a paste out of baking soda and sea salt, and has it plastered on. Any suggestions on what else she can try?

mechelle

HEAT, whatever the infection is heat usually draws it out so it getting bigger only means it might be comping to the surface

Do you have any tea tree oil? easy child never uses his rx cream from the dermatologist because this works so well. One tiny drop on it tonight and tomorrow it'll be so much better.

H

HaoZi

Anti-inflammatory medications, tea tree oil or even toothpaste (actual paste, no gels or anything like that) can help dry it out.

trinityroyal

If it's solid, feels like a mass under the skin, or the area is hot to the touch it might be an abcess instead of just a pimple. If it doesn't start to clear up on its own within a few days, Miss KT might need an antibiotic.

Hot compresses, baking soda and salt are all good -- but if they don't work in a day or 2, get medical attention for her.

Mattsmom277

I read of the toothpaste thing so many places and so at one point a year or two ago, recommended S/O try it when he had a large pimple (it was more infected pore that swelled painfully to my eyes, but we called it the zit from he$#). I felt so bad. I forget what kind of toothpaste he used, but it swelled 3 times its size, turned a angry angry angry red color and hurt so bad! He literally couldn't leave the house, it was awful looking for another day or two. If toothpaste does work, be careful to find out which kind to use. I forget if it was because there was whitening stuff in S/O's, or maybe it was one with the white and blue/green gel blended together types. Whichever it was, it was a major mistake.

shellyd67

Did you ever see the movie MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING ??? WINDEX is apparently the cure for a big zit ! o_O I personally put a very hot compress on it and it seems to bring it to a head (gross, I know) and they I squeeze it to death and it seems to disappear within a day or two. GOOD LUCK ! Shelly

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Um... I know you're not supposed to squeeze them. But if it's really, really bad... I can understand.

witzend

Be sure that whenever anyone touches it that their hands are very clean. You have to be careful to not dig at it too much or she will get a scar. A warm compress is probably the best bet. Then add some Advil to decrease swelling. It sounds awful, but a fresh tube of Preparation H will reduce swelling. I'm sure it will gross Miss KT out, but it's the same stuff they put in that $40 tube. (Works great under puffy eyes, too.)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Zinc Oxide ointment.

No joke. Same kind you put on a baby's bottom. Will clear it right up.

Learned that one in nursing school and biochemistry class of all places. lol

Steely

Hmmmm..........now I know.....prep H. Good thing to have in my facial arsenal. :)

I personally put rubbing alcohol on it like every 2 hours, and that seems to clear it up faster than anything.

Dr Oz says that you shouldn't pop it, but put a needle sideways in through the pimple and to the other side - and that takes care of it with no scars. Ummmm. OK. If I could stand the pain of doing that I might try????

susiestar

Roll With It
BurnGel Plus - they sell it at Walmart where they have the calamine lotion. It is sold for burns but has lidocaine and tea tree oil in it. Tea tree oil alone is awesome and we use it for zits a LOT. but the BurnGel Plus is even better. The lidocaine makes it not hurt and the other stuff really helps with infection and healing. I have been using it on Jess for a year now and it is incredible.

Make sure that she uses a clean washcloth each time she washes her face. It will help with this zit and with acne in general. Plus she MUST use a moisturizer. I have oily skin and know the temptation to not, but it is crucial. When you don't moisturize your face you get little cracks in the skin - even if your skin is very oily. This lets bacteria in and causes more breakouts. Using a washcloth and letting it dry and using it again allows bacteria to grow on the cloth and be applies to your skin when you use it again. It is a hassle to have so many washcloths dirty, but it makes a real difference.

You can also put a bit of hydrocortisone on the pimple. It will help with swelling and redness. Not as much as BurnGel, but it can help.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I was gonna say divorce it....but I think that's a hemorrhoid joke.

To me? It sounds like something for a dermatologist to look at. Zits usually get a head on them. Boils can, but they take longer and can be filled with staph. Any more? Staph can have MRSA and is NOTHING you want to be monkeying around with because Dude thought he had a zit after getting stung by wasps and having an allergic reaction. He went to the ER for the wasps - and came HOME with MRSA from the ER. Didn't know it - had this knot - thought it was just a zit - tried to pop it, and did - ended up with staph all over his face, in his eye and had to have golf ball sized welts lanced and packed with gauzed after they cleaned them (and believe me they treated him like a lepyr) then he got put on antibiotics and something else.

For plain zits? Witch hazel is a natural astringent (stinks a little) and then we used this stuff they sold at the Dollar General and now WM called ClearZit. It's like heaven in a tube for Adult acne. Guess it would work on teens.

For Boils? Oh Gosh we used to use the inside lining of an egg. You peel it out, lay it on the boil, it dries up and so it dries out the boil. There is also stuff in WM (can't think of the name OH yeah - Drawing Salve) and that stuff is WICKED strong. Works like over night - but I'm telling you the lining of an egg? About the same. (no I am not a witch doctor)

But if it's something that doesn't go away in a day or so or GETS WORSE? or has MORE pain - Take Aleve and get thee to the dermatologist. It could just be something like a clogged hair folicle - which is painful - but still popping it? Not good.

(makes me think that all of her mean=nees can leave at light speed throught that hole the size of a hair and you'll end up with a easy child) hahahah.

graceupongrace

Sounds like cystic acne. Try products with salicylic acid, like Clean & Clear gel. They work really fast and reduce the inflammation. been there done that, even though I'm way past the age where I should be getting acne!

Mattsmom277

When reading Stars comments about the inside of an egg drawing stuff out to clear it up, I was reminded of something I had good experience with. it wasn't for zits or boils or blemishes. I was unable to breast feed easy child after she was born and milk was not drying up, causing it to compress and cause such pain it was literally agony for me. My cousin is a nurse and said that it isn't a wives tale to use cabbage leaves, it is actually something that works and is recommended by obgyn's. I was skeptical to say the least, but desperate. Sent my now ex to get a head of cabbage. Followed my cousins simple instructions and felt relief literally afew hours later, and all milk was gone and the back up cleared up within 2-3 days. Imagine if it works on blemishes or zits the same way? Would be very quick, less needed to extract from inside than with the breast feeding thing. I wonder if it might help a painful and swollen zit etc when it is obvious it is building up painfully with no sign of emptying to heal? For the breast milk thing, I simply was told to take a fresh cabbage leaf, put it on each breast, put on a bra and leave them for a few hours. Then I was told to go into a hot shower, not remove the leafs myself, just stand with very warm water directed to them that will force them to fall off. Literally I did that and when the leaves fell off, they drained and drained the built up hardened milk that had hurt so bad. Within a couple of days, it was over with completely. Perhaps give it a whirl by putting a piece of fresh cabbage leaf on her spot at bedtime, leave it there until a morning shower and see if it will drain which would take the pain of pressure away and help it start healing up and looking better?