How do you tell your child about a diagnosis

a_demann

So had school conferences today, they went well. Nothing going on that I didn't already know. My question to all of you is how do I go about telling J about his diagnosis so that he will understand? or do I wait to tell him and if so when is a good time to tell him, or explain to him what's going on? We didn't really talk about the neuropsychologist evaluation. or why we were doing it, all he knew was that he was going to go play some games and answer some questions. I don't know how much he really knows and understands, as of right now he knows he has to take a pill daily to help his brain slow down so he can focus and pay attention but now with the new diagnosis I'm not real sure how much to tell him and how to do it in away he understands without making him feel different. Especially if we add or change any medications. Any suggestions you may have will be greatly apreciated. Thanks

B

Bunny

The therapist and I told difficult child together. This way whatever questions that he had that I could not answer, the therapist could. That helped with difficult child's anxiety about what was going on and what the plan was. Plus, then he felt like he was part of the plan because it was discussed in detail with him.