How is everyone? Check in!

BusynMember1

We are good. Go to work but stay in our offices only a few times a month. Jaden is getting used to Amy. Doing better. Amy is not sending her kids back to school in the fall. Our relative babysitter is going to help with a. Homeschool curriculum.

Kay is in COVID Arizona in her RV. Cousins tell me she is paranoid of getting sick so she doesn't do much. Her husband works part time at a fast food place. Kay complains on FB that he socialized too much and she is afraid he will bring COVID home. She never posts about us or Jaden.

I hope everyone is safe and happy. Much love and prayers.

newstart

So nice to hear your update Busy. Sounds like things are smoothing out a bit in your family but with troubled kids things are never really smooth. So glad your grandson is doing better.
I had dinner with my 38 year old daughter this evening. She brought over the food so we grilled and talked. She seemed a bit more balance for today. I am enjoying today because tomorrow the shoe may fall off so I am never too excited when things seem smooth with her. I believe her creepy boyfriend is not living with her and she is sleeping much better. I feel that the boyfriend and my daughter still communicate on a regular basis which keeps her stuck but not as stuck as when he was living in her home. She had started to spend time with a 43 year old woman that is not good news and she has recognized the fact that she is not good news and told me today she can't spend time with her anymore. I have met the woman twice and she is not an awful person but not a progressive one either, and we found out she was a hoarder, a trait my daughter cannot stand ~ I am very clutter free, raised my kids clutter free so I was happy to see that stuck with my daughter.
Looking forward to hearing from others on what is new in your world.

Nomad

Staff member
My problems in some ways haven’t been as very difficult as many have here...so sometimes I hesitate to speak up. But, they have been difficult and I’m all to familiar with that anguish.
Our adult daughter has Bipolar and other health issues. She lives in the city we use to live in ; a good four hours a way. She is on disability. This allows for the essentials like a roof over her head. She use to be very abusive to us verbally, but that has improved a lot. She is moody and impulsive and some days can call us literally 20 times a day or more. She works odd jobs now and then.
Our son was a Difficult Child in twelfth grade. The unexpected year from hell.Depression, anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and a little ODD too. We got him some help...but his rages left me shocked and shook up.
intetestingly and wonderfully,he ended up doing very well. Finished college, works well at a great job and has a lovely family.
But very recently remnants of that twelfth grade year are showing through. And as a mother, I find myself worrying probably needlessly and unproductively. He is anxious about the virus and how it might influence his work. He has been kind of ugly toward me and I’m shocked.
I myself am doing fairly well. Pushing myself to get involved with life taking classes and so forth. But these difficult kids sure can kick you in the butt.
Im grateful that they are both better...and wish to concentrate on that. But of course some days I wish for a bit more stability etc. I will count my blessings.

susiestar

Roll With It
We are doing fairly well. Wiz wanted to move out of state and was job hunting there when covid hit. He did not move because it would have been a truly dumb thing to do. He is still working at his job and they still love him. He is mostly stable and works to not be around us if he is having a bad day.

J is having more health issues and anxiety problems. Not surprising after Hubby's death. We all have some depression going on. She is open to medication and therapy, hopefully it will start to work soon.

thank you is doing well in school but he lost his job when covid hit. He is a saver and decided to wait until after school started again to get a new one. It was a super hard year for him. Not only did he lose his father about 2 weeks into his first semester, he also had a problem with his laptop and had to send it away for repairs - and it took almost 2 MONTHS! He got way better grades than I expected after having to deal with all of that. He finished up his classes online and is planning to take online classes in the fall.

I am coping. Not as well as I could, better than I thought I would. I was smart enough to go back on an antidepressant a couple of months after Hubby died. We all miss him greatly, and I hope time will start to help with this soon.

We don't go many places. We don't go shop just to browse. I am glad I don't have school age kids because no way would they go back to school during this. I don't envy parents who have to make that choice.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
We are doing pretty well.

Son is stable. Working part time and in school full time. Seems school comes fairly easy for him. He did not fry his brain as much as we'd thought! Very good news! My husband is very smart so he got some good genes I guess. Still worry about him socially as he has no friends or girlfriend. He was the kid that always had a girlfriend in grade school and some in high school and tons of friends before he went off the rails. He says he's not ready but naturally I worry about him socially. I think I'll always worry about him but our other two are happy and healthy thank the Lord.

I'm working from home again after going to the office for one week and one day. Numbers in Mobile (where I work) are up so closed office again as a precaution. Husband had to take a 25% pay cut for the month of July. Had to in May also. Luckily we live within our means so it doesn't affect us in our daily lives but we are trying to save for retirement. Husband will be 60 in October and we both plan to retire at 65.

We have lived in Alabama 2 years this month. Time has flown by. Miss our boys in Chicago. My son and his wife bought our duplex so as of yesterday are first time home owners. So happy for them and happy not to own anything in Illinois any longer!

Sending positive thoughts to everyone in these difficult times!

newstart

We are doing pretty well.

Son is stable. Working part time and in school full time. Seems school comes fairly easy for him. He did not fry his brain as much as we'd thought! Very good news! My husband is very smart so he got some good genes I guess. Still worry about him socially as he has no friends or girlfriend. He was the kid that always had a girlfriend in grade school and some in high school and tons of friends before he went off the rails. He says he's not ready but naturally I worry about him socially. I think I'll always worry about him but our other two are happy and healthy thank the Lord.

I'm working from home again after going to the office for one week and one day. Numbers in Mobile (where I work) are up so closed office again as a precaution. Husband had to take a 25% pay cut for the month of July. Had to in May also. Luckily we live within our means so it doesn't affect us in our daily lives but we are trying to save for retirement. Husband will be 60 in October and we both plan to retire at 65.

We have lived in Alabama 2 years this month. Time has flown by. Miss our boys in Chicago. My son and his wife bought our duplex so as of yesterday are first time home owners. So happy for them and happy not to own anything in Illinois any longer!

Sending positive thoughts to everyone in these difficult times!

It is always good to hear your positive updates RN. I am so happy things have smoothed out for you, after reading your posts for a long time I know you had a mighty rough road. I am so glad your son did not damage his brain with all the drugs. There are many people that were once drug addicts or alcoholics that are leading a good decent life. My sister in laws brother was a hopeless alcoholic and is now a successful business man. It is always so wonderful when people make a turn around. Missed seeing your posts, so happy to see your name again.

MissLulu

We are okay here - things are stable, I guess. Difficult Child is living nearby but not with us. He has a stable job, a nice girlfriend and there haven't been any recent dramas (that we know of!) He's keeping in touch sporadically. Yesterday he sent me a text to let me know that there had been a report of a Covid case in my town (it's a small town and this is the first case we've had). He texted to say "be careful and stay safe", which I thought was nice.

We currently have our middle son staying with us. He is on semester break from university and has come home to work over the break. I'm happy to have him here because he normally lives in our capital city, where there are many more cases of the virus.

My husband and I are both working form home at the moment - no change for me (I always work from home!) but it's big change for him and he really likes it. He does have to go in to the office or remote sites a few times a week, but he's home much more than he used to be. Things have quietened down for me. The publicity engagements for the new book are all done and I'm back to sitting at my desk writing, which is the best part of the job, really!

Good to hear so many of you have kids who are going okay at the moment. I think it's hopeful for all of us when we see other DCs doing well.

I still have good days and bad days. My biggest problem is my own head noise, but I feel like I am slowly improving in that I'm more detached from the drama at least.

So good to see so many people posting! I come here every day but don't always post. I've been trying to contribute more lately.

Copabanana

I have enjoyed reading your updates. My state, which is California, has very high Covid numbers and my town is especially bad. I isolated very seriously initially. When things opened up, I began to shop for myself, and then when the numbers got bad again I retreated back home. I am getting used to living day to day.

I live alone now, but I see M most days. My son is living in the Metro a couple hours north of me, with his best friend and some other people. He's working a few days a week. I presume he's still in love with his marijuana, but I've let go. He is still wrapped up in his conspiracy theories, which trigger me. I limit contact with him.I think it's mutual. I've seen my son maybe for 3 minutes in the last 6 months or so. Usually, it's okay for me.

I have been doing what's required to go back to work which would be a big step for me, if it happens. I've been here on the site over 5 years and only worked a few months of that time.

I don't know what would be Plan B, if that doesn't pan out. I continue my spiritual practice and to take as many art classes as I can. I'm grateful. I'm still working on organizing my home. I want to start back walking everyday but it's still real hot.

Thank you Busy for starting this thread.

Last edited:

KTMom91

I had surgery to repair a hernia on Monday. I was given a COVID-19 test prior to surgery and did not enjoy it one bit. I'm recovering, though the incision hurts like crazy! Our district hasn't announced whether or not we'll be returning to school next month, and I don't know whether or not I'll be going back if they do start school.

Hubby helped his stepmother clean out his father's things, and is feeling conflicted. His father moved several states away over 15 years ago, so he hadn't seen him in that length of time. They rarely talked on the phone. I think he wishes their relationship could have been closer. Hubby has been working from home for the past few months. No idea when he'll return to the office.

My mom is doing well, as is my mother in law. Miss KT is thriving since her divorce was final, and she goes back to work next week. She's been off due to COVID-19 and is bored out of her mind. She's discovered some video game with pandas and Captain America (I think) and plays against her friends.

I have a new granddaughter, L, that I haven't yet met. My older two grands will not be returning to school this year no matter what their district decides, according to their mom. She is not comfortable with sending them back.

The dog is perfecting her tearing up cardboard skills. Tonight she dissected a Starbucks carrying tray. All the cats are fine, napping all day during the heat and dancing all night when it's cooler.

I love reading the updates!

louise2350

We are good. Go to work but stay in our offices only a few times a month. Jaden is getting used to Amy. Doing better. Amy is not sending her kids back to school in the fall. Our relative babysitter is going to help with a. Homeschool curriculum.

Kay is in COVID Arizona in her RV. Cousins tell me she is paranoid of getting sick so she doesn't do much. Her husband works part time at a fast food place. Kay complains on FB that he socialized too much and she is afraid he will bring COVID home. She never posts about us or Jaden.

I hope everyone is safe and happy. Much love and prayers.

louise2350

So far, so good here in Massachusetts. My daughter is back working at the daycare she works at along with her two children attending. I'm concerned about that. So far we haven't heard any news on kids returning to school. One of my grandchildren will be starting Kindergarten in Sept. but my daughter hasn't had any word about it. This virus is getting to me and I hope and wish they'd start a vaccine for it and soon. I heard either the end of this year or the beginning of next year they should have a vaccine. I know they are working on many vaccines - just want an effective and safe vaccine to be distributed as I'm sure all of you want. I'm keeping busy by reading which I've always loved to do. I speak to my daughters on the phone and the grandchildren. Hope everyone is staying healthy and managing to deal with all the changes this virus has brought upon us.

susiestar

Roll With It
So far so good, here in OK. I have no idea what our schools will be doing next month. I don't even know if the university in our town will open up. Our city just made masks mandatory if you are out in a public place. The city is providing 100 masks per business per day to be handed out for free. But the police can and will be called if you go into a business without a mask. Wiz was stationed at the door to tell shoppers that they couldn't come in without a mask, no matter what health condition they said was the reason for not wearing a mask. He enjoyed telling people what to do, lol. He even saw a couple of those fake licenses to not wear a mask that are being printed off the internet. We are careful, and so our my parents. As far as I know, Hubby's parents are fine. I called them a month ago to check on them. I don't feel a real need to keep in touch with them anymore. If the kids want to see them, they can. Mostly they don't as their other grandparents never felt a need to establish a bond with them on any real level. Not my problem.

thank you is job hunting. Jess is waiting for the funeral home to need help again. They want her back, but they have been hit VERY hard by the covid restrictions. thank you's job closed when the university closed.

Lots of businesses have opened up here. Almost everything really. There are a lot of places I used to go routinely that I just don't visit any longer. I mostly stay home now. It is boring, but it is the way life is now. Maybe if a vaccine ever exists I will feel safer about going places.

Beta

I enjoyed reading your updates. I feel like I have been off the site for forever. Josh is still in Phoenix (a hot spot) and seems to be okay. He is drawing Covid unemployment until the end of July. I hope he will be able to work after that and that the bottom won't drop out again. He texted the other night to say he hoped we were okay and staying safe, which was a nice surprise. I try not to text him too often but allow him to initiate it most of the time. I worry about him being there in Phoenix. Our other son is in Washington state, on a nearby island, and I worry about him too.
We hope to be starting work soon. I have been looking for some type of office/clerical position but nothing has come about so as of now it looks like I will be a Walmart employee. Not my dream job but you have to pay the bills.

Copabanana

I will be a Walmart employee. Not my dream job but you have to pay the bills.
Dear Beta Walmart is on my circuit when I shop. When I go there now I will think of you, but I'm trying to not shop because there's a big Corona surge here. Your update sounds good, about how you've settled in, and Josh too. I think it's a big deal he reached out in a caring way. It seems to me that he feels better about himself and from that place he can treat you better, too. Did he move into the new, subsidized housing?

Deni D

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Staff member
I like reading everyone's updates.

I'm lucky, I'm retired and don't have to worry about work.
looks like I will be a Walmart employee
Beta, I hope you are not in a bad area.

I've had some health issues but because I decided to go on Medicare and a supplemental insurance I can now easily address them. No more spending more than an uninsured person because a have a $1000 a month policy that only covers catastrophic events. I've got sleep apnea from a recent test, but I knew that for years. I'll see about that machine and how I can handle it soon. I have extra heartbeats and will be having additional testing for that in a couple of weeks. And for some reason high Lyme antibodies even though I had Lyme years ago. All of these tests came about because I got this crazy vertigo waking up a couple of mornings two months ago wondering if I woke up from a seizure. And now it's kind of taken hold of me. I'm lucky I'm able to go for the tests and do what I need to do. Also I'm going to my chiropractor for back and leg pain from what I think is not moving around as much as I'm used to and no working out lately from the vertigo. He's also treating the vertigo as if it's crystals that form sometimes. I feel like I'm very lucky and kind of pampered that I can address these things now without worrying about how many thousands and thousands of dollars I'd have to pay for them. I sound like I'm not a relatively healthy person, but I am. Even through out all of this I've been taking care of everything around my house inside and out. And I've been going to my camper and doing my things that have to be done and helping others. I can do a lot more on my butt than I though, by sitting on a kneeling pad and scooting around to avoid the altitude change that gets me these days, ha!

As far as the COVID thing goes, I'm being careful. More than some people I come in contact with would like, but then I do me and tell them I respect their decisions and expect them to respect mine. I posted on here a few months ago about seeing one of my friends of 35 years being brought out of her house in a body bag after she went to the hospital for emergency surgery and then to a step down facility where she contracted COVID. And then how her nephew brought her home for hospice because there was no one at the step down who he could even contact to talk about her condition for over a week other than hearing she's fine but not the same, and how she lasted 4 days after that. That last night with him being up all night listening to her try to breathe. I am in north west New Jersey, and travel to north east PA. There is leaps and bounds more testing now available than when we were in the thick of it, so yeah many more positive results, except people still don't get their results for up to a week. And there's much better care from what I hear, Remdesivir and not the jump to throw people on ventilators we had a few months ago. But still, it's not the flu, it's much more severe than the flu and in a lot of cases many long lasting side affects afterwards. So I'm careful for myself and those who are around me. I don't go to restaurants, outdoor or indoor (PA) and have only been to a couple of outdoor events, a flea market and a farm open house because there were not many people there. I still don't do regular grocery stores but the crappy fruits and vegetables from the delivery service is getting on my nerves so that may change soon. As far as the mask wearing, I thought it was mandatory around here when I guess is wasn't, now it is. When I'm someplace I have to wear a mask the allure is not so great these days. I have enough open spaces where I don't have to wear a mask to bother with being in places where I do so much. We distance ourselves more than that 6 feet at get together's outside at my house, in the neighborhood and at the campground so I'm getting real life contact with people these days. Come winter, well that will be a different story again. Right now I'm loving that my friends are working from home, I see them more often than I used to. In the past 20 plus years I used to be the one working from home, and taking care of my special needs child, isolated, with no one around for the most part.

The dog is perfecting her tearing up cardboard skills.
This is so funny. Good job to your puppy!!

Last edited:

Beta

Copa,
Yes, Josh got subsidized housing. He has an apartment, even has a pool, which is good because it's over 100 degrees there!