how to get adult child to see doctor

ironnugget

Hi, I am new member here. I have a son of 39 years old. He is living with me after I pick him up on street in San Diego. He has sign of depression with psychotic features. I advise him to see doctor. So far I am not successful. Recently he intend not to eat and only drink some soda. Can I get some help here? where should I get help. I am very frustrated. thank you very much.

ksm

It is so hard to force an adult to seek help. I would document what he has said and what he is doing so you can show the authorities if it becomes a crisis.

I have resorted to bribery...to get daughters to stay on birth control. Not pills or weekly patched, because they would not be compliant. But the 3 month shot or an implant. For them, $ talks.

Even if he goes to the doctor...will he take the rx as prescribed? I am sorry you are going thru this.

Ksm

BusynMember1

I'm sorry you are going through this too. in my opinion we can't force another person to get help. They will when/if they want to. Many people just don't and some don't at first then change their minds later. As much as want it to be different, all adults do what they want and we have no control over them, even beloved children. We CAN control ourselves, get help for us to learn to stop worrying about others, and even learn how to live a good life despite having a a loved one who refuses to do the same. It is very possible for us. Many here do it.

If your son is an addict, I recommend Nar Anon groups for real time support and tools.

Hugs and love.

Copabanana

. He has sign of depression with psychotic features. I advise him to see doctor. So far I am not successful. Recently he intend not to eat and only drink some soda. Can I get some help here? where should I get help.
Your son may not be eating because he has a delusion. A delusion is an extreme and rigid false belief that is a symptom of psychosis. Just as you have done, I would urge my son to go to see a psychiatrist at Mental Health.

My son has similar problems and that is what I do. I urge him to get treatment. I have been unsuccessful in getting him to accept treatment. Here in the USA typically, unless a person presents an imminent danger to self or others they cannot be forced to accept mental health treatment.

Almost all of the parents here on this forum have been in your shoes. We struggle in the same way. We love our children and we have been unsuccessful in helping them to help themselves. This is why we stay here and post. To deal with this.

I am so sorry you and your son are in this hard situation. I hope you stay with us here and post. It helps.

What I suggest is trying to understand why your son may be afraid to eat. You shouldn't try to talk someone out of a delusion but you can help them find a way around the fear. First, you need to know what the root of the fear is--not what's causing it, but what your child is thinking. His false belief. For example, if he's afraid to eat because of some fear about the food, you could suggest things that he could eat that he might not fear are contaminated. Or you could offer to taste the food first, to show that it's not harmful. These are only examples. Until you know what he is thinking it's hard to know how to help.

Crayola13

It is so hard to force an adult to seek help. I would document what he has said and what he is doing so you can show the authorities if it becomes a crisis.

I have resorted to bribery...to get daughters to stay on birth control. Not pills or weekly patched, because they would not be compliant. But the 3 month shot or an implant. For them, $ talks.

Even if he goes to the doctor...will he take the rx as prescribed? I am sorry you are going thru this.

Ksm
I can see resorting to bribery about the Depo Shots.