How to Plant a Garden with a Cat.......

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You know that cute posting about wrapping presents with a cat...........

Well, trying to do my garden with Minnie and Midnight under foot keep reminding me of it. They have always been a bit friendlier than you'd think a stray to be, but nothing like Bruce. I don't know what has gotten into them lately......but I can't go outside now that they aren't stuck to me like glue.

I try to water the flowers out front. Midnight is weaving in and out of the spray of water and my legs and the flowers.

I try to dig the area for the root veggies and the corn............. Minnie and Midnight must have ESP because they will pick the very spot I'm about to place the shovel to sit and ask to be loved on. I pick them up to move them and by the time I have the shovel in position again.......they're sitting right on the spot. So I change to a new spot. I'm about to put the shovel into the ground and there they are. I move them........ Rinse and repeat several dozens of times.

I try to whack weeds. Now the swing blade I'm using is sharp to say the least. Both are far too trusting........and they get too close. Or they try to rub up on my legs. I'm afraid I'm going to do serious damage to one of them one of these times. So I *attempt* to do it at feeding time (which takes place out front). It doesn't always work though. Digging out weed roots is the same scene as digging the garden plot out.

If I'm planting something...........OMG they are nosy. They sniff all around the plant (like they expect catnip). I scoop out the hole and they got to check out the hole, which usually means I've got to dig it out again before putting the plant in. Then they have to check the plant I guess to make sure it's the same plant they just checked. Then they're rubbing all over my hands and arms hoping for some lovin/. argh! (while I'm HOT and sweaty and filthy and the last thing I want to mess with is a furry cat) They chase the weeds that I toss.......

Tonight Midnight just refused to leave me alone. Well..........I forgot Rowdy was out on his lead, which by the way has yet to be moved so he can't reach the garden. He spots Midnight and decides he wants to say hello. Midnight hops into the middle of the garden of course..............and guess who attempts to follow? I'm fussing at him trying to keep him from squishing my broccoli and cauliflowers and he's just standing there looking at me like "What? I just wanna play with the cat". geez! So I have to put him back into his kennel.

I try to take a break for some water and to sit a minute and it's a competition to see which one can manage to smother me first, crawling / rubbing all over my legs, trying to climb into my lap, jumping onto my lap......you name it.

I suspect all this svcking up is an attempt to get inside. Every since I let Midnight in when she was having that weird bleeding issue (which is now resolved with some wormer).......I can't open the door without one of them darting in and trying to make themselves at home. I guess I should be grateful they don't make me chase them to get them back out again. And they can't seem to get enough affection out of me, when always before they were content with a bit of petting.

And NO they aren't coming inside. Bruce is more than enough. And he just can't warm up to the other cats......even when it's HIS idea to go out and see them. Not to mention he's not fixed.

I think tomorrow when I work on the garden I'm going to be armed with waterguns. But I have a suspicion after the watering can deal that it's not going to be much of a deterrent.

donna723

I can't imagine how frustrating that must be! If I go out to work in the flower beds, a couple of the cats will sit and watch me but that's as far as they go. There is one extremely sweet little kitty who drives me up the wall though! She likes me but she's absolutely crazy about the dogs, especially Katy and Trace, and just will not leave them alone! She's only around them when I take them out on their leashes to potty. Trace is so hyper, even for a Boston, that any little thing will distract him and he completely forgets that he went out there to pee! When I take him outside, this little cat comes running and wants to rub and nuzzle on him! She goes cheek to cheek with him, rubbing her face on his. And if I move him to another part of the yard, she follows so she can rub on him some more. And he wants to play with her but I won't let him because he gets too rough. And if she ever tried to claw him... he only has one eye left and I worry about him. And poor Katy - that cat absolutely adores her! Katy gets right down to business when I take her outside, and while she's trying to pee, this little cat is rubbing on her face! Katy would never hurt her but she gets really annoyed with her and tries to chase her off. This cat likes the dogs way more than she likes me! One thing she has done though is to make all the dogs a lot more tolerant of the cats than they were before. They still haven't figured out what she is but they've decided that she's OK.

keista

WOW you are really patient. I would have picked them up and thrown them across the yard - and I love cats.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa... Speaking of pouring water on your pretty garden, but... When was the last time you had a check up?

You know my animals (and mother in law's, and my parents') have been treating me weird since I got preggers... I just want to make sure everything's OK with you.

You could, however, be right... Or they're going into heat.

TerryJ2

What a scene! How DO they know right where you're going to place the shovel?
I would have given up by now and let them in. But he's not neutered? So does that mean they're not spayed, either?
Oh, dear.
Sigh.
I guess a portable fence wouldn't do much good, either.
They sound so cute, though.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It has been 3 yrs since my last check up. But I'm fairly certain I'm not preggers........or immaculate conception has occurred again. :rofl: Not to mention menopause was quite a few years back.

I admit, I'm not that patient either........I've tossed them several dozens of times, they just could care less and come right back. Right now they're making Bruce appear to be unaffectionate, and HE normally is the one driving me nuts.

Some of it might be that this spring/summer has been the longest I've been outside in years due to school and last year caring for easy child. Cats, especially stays, seem to adore me. It doesn't seem to matter to them one bit that I'm no cat person and barely tolerate them. Shoot I pull the car up at easy child's house and all her strays and her own cats rush to greet me. I sit outside at her house and it's the same story. Never seen cats act so .......... like dogs I guess.

I don't think I'm sick. Not really had any out of the ordinary symptoms other than the return of my arthritis......but pretty sure that's my joints rebelling against the heavy work I've been doing.

Neighbor across the alley used to put in a garden every single year. A huge garden. Willie for some unknown reason, adored this older gentleman. I remember the old guy telling me Willie doing the same things to him. And honestly, while Willie is no longer with us........I have a firm suspicion Midnight is his daughter, and I know for certain Minnie is his daughter.

While we're on this cat subject. easy child has 4 kittens who now have their eyes open, won't be but maybe 2 wks and they'll be ready for forever homes. We're both shocked that the baby momma cat did such a great job with them. They've been housed in a rubbermaid tote with a hole cut into the side and a lid which sister in law placed into the boys playhouse for extra protection. Of course 2nd baby momma cat is about to give birth any day. easy child has told sister in law once 2nd set of kittens are weaned she's taking both momma cats to the vet and having them spayed, and then they will be HER cats. Seems woman on the corner told easy child both baby mommas are her kittens.......of course heaven forbid she feed/water them or pay them any attention at all. She asked about the kittens and easy child told her she'd not only not be getting them, but she won't even let her see them. She figures this irresponsible idiot will just toss them out like she did the 2 baby momma cats. ugh

muttmeister

We used to have a cat when the difficult children were little who loved to garden with me. He really wasn't a nuisance but he'd lie in the row about 2 feet from me when I was weeding and as soon as I'd move, so would he. He followed while I was hoeing, and was very curious when I harvested. We had some great "conversations" out there in the garden. He was a lot of company and I think we both enjoyed it.

Jody

It was about 9:45 and it was cooler outside, I decided to take Broady out to sit on the porch. Right off he knocks down a freshly potted Salvia plant. Inside he goes. I figure I can fix that pot and just relax outside without my dog going crazy over the outside cat. Oh my goodness I go outside after putting Broady in his crate and the cat knocks over a pot of marigolds I fix that and am able to relax for just a few mintues when Cassy (the cat) decides to get bold again and won't quit rubbing on me. I give her just a little bit of attention, then she runs into the house and under my bed, which makes the dog crazy. Not a restful or relaxing night, but I wouldn't trade my dog for anything. Now that cat, is cute as can be, but I wish I could find a home for her. She's fixed and a solid gray with green eyes. She is very tiny.

Lisa I would have given up long before u. LOL. I would have had to excuse myself from the cats and gone in and had some iced tea.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
:rofl: Lisa, I was actually thinking of those animals who save their owners etc., they know something's wrong or weird LOL!

Lisa, why are you (a nurse!) going threee years without a checkup?? I know this isn't the topic, but I care about you, if something were to be wrong, early is better than later. You know this! I hate going, but force myself. I'm sceduled for a colonoscopy in 3 weeks, who wants to do that?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
UAN, yup, you're right. I'm hoping to get into see the gp soon as my tax return shows up in the mail.

As for a complete physical........that won't be happening until I have insurance to cover the costs of testing ect. Hopefully someone who has great benefits will hire me soon...........

L

Liahona

Your cats sound like difficult child 3 when he is sensory seeking. He'll rub up on you and get in the way so badly it drives me nuts.