How you cool and heat your house

BusynMember

Told you Id think of a dumb topic, Pink :)

Okay, so I will go first and I will refer to our new house that should be ready next week and not the apartment we are in now. I will also go back to childhood, Pink, and that part is for you :)

Our house has gas heating and central air. On its own it is cool! Our apartment is always hot, even in winter.

Ok, back to my childhood. I think my parents turned the heat low because I remember cuddling by the heating vents on the floor and my brother did it too.

My parents had a window air in their room. Otherwise there wasnt any. I suppose many didnt have air back then. My room to me felt like the sun. It was on the second floor which didnt help. Sometimes, when the heat kept me up at night, I filled a pail with cold water and threw it on my mattress. I probably got yelled at for that, but I cant remember if I did and I didnt care. I needed to sleep.

At sometime when I was in high school we did get central air. It was much better then. But it was not turned down too low so it was still warm. But it wasnt unbearable like I felt it had been before.

To this day I like it very cool when I sleep and heat will wake me up.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Not dumb at all, and so befitting of the time of year, SOT. Love it! Thanks! :)

We're real lucky and have CAC (central air-conditioning), so our house stays comfortable, but when we can we open things up and let in the fresh air and cool from outside.

It's funny, but as a kid I don't remember it being hot and uncomfortable in our home, even though I know it was, because I remember mom keeping things opened up all through the day and night, so the house definitely was hot, but we must be more numb to heat and cold as kids. In the winter kids think about snowmen and such, while over the course of the summer it's all about beaches and swimming and such.

With that said, our summer season so far has been miles cooler than typical years, and believe me, I've been lapping it up likes it's going out of style. Me and the summer heat do not get along.

BusynMember

Pink, I love how you were so happy in your childhood that you see the sunshine in everything about it. Thats so awesome.

Pink, it has been stifling hot in Wisconsin this year. By that I mean upper 80s and 90s. Thats hot for us :). Yeah, laugh at us, Floridians :p

I dont remember if my mom opened our windows or not. It is kind of puzzling that I have extremely vivid memories of certain childhood events, some very early, but very little day to day memories. I dont remember playing outside or seeing my mom clean up or tend to us or even holidays...they were the pits. Just the five of us, my grandparents, and sometimes the uncle that I loathed (shudder). No aunts, cousins,laughing at the table, no fun. I am happy for you. Your mother sounds delightful. So do you!

Pink Elephant

Well, thing is, SOT, there were a few not so good things I remember from my childhood, too, but the good definitely trumps all, and so I am able to run with the fun memories over the less than fun. Indeed. I am grateful for that. :)

We are usually up in the 80's (°C), even into the low 90's (°C) this time of the year, but as I say, it's been quite cool to date, but that doesn't go to say that in a week, maybe two, that our weather won't be wicked hot and unbearable.

It definitely was hot in our house growing up, because I remember changing baby sibs diapers, and mom would have them in plain cloth diapers... no rubber pants. Mom ALWAYS used rubber pants, so there's not a doubt in my mind our house was hot and uncomfortable. Seemed us kids were always sucking on popsicles and things, and drinking cold stuff, too, and life was all about us, so we were bliss. :)

Even with my own kids I recall how their rubber pants would stick to their legs in hot weather. Their skin so damp and tacky, the rubber pants would grab and tug and stick to their legs when pulling them off to change diapers, and I remember how the pants would get hung-up on little feet, too, because the elastics around the legs of the panties would be damp. I used to sprinkle baby powder inside the pants before putting them back on again, as that helped make the pants slide back on more easily. Hot, hot pants.

AppleCori

I have Central heat and air.

I sleep well at about 67 degrees (though I can go anywhere from 64-69 if needed). I like the temperature during the day around 70, but can go a little lower without discomfort. Unless I am doing hard physical labor, then I want it cooler.

When I lived in the Central Mountains of Arizona, I had baseboard heaters and a wood stove for heat and a swamp cooler for A/C.

Pink Elephant

Now, Apple, a swamp cooler would add a lot of moisture to the air in a home, wouldn't they? I've often wondered about what sort of damaging effects the high moisture content in a home could cause over time.

One thing about heat, I fair way better in a dry heat, than humid heat. We get those days where it feels like a storm is rolling in, but the storm never comes, and the air stays humid. I hate those days.

We keep our home around 63°C -67°C (daytime summer months), and even cooler in the winter. Nighttime especially over the course of Autumn and Spring, the house is typically chilly, aside from the rooms we use, like the living room where the fireplace is usually going.

AppleCori

Now, Apple, a swamp cooler would add a lot of moisture to the air in a home, wouldn't they? I've often wondered about what sort of damaging effects the high moisture content in a home could cause over time.

One thing about heat, I fair way better in a dry heat, than humid heat. We get those days where it feels like a storm is rolling in, but the storm never comes, and the air stays humid. I hate those days.

We lived in a high, dry desert at the time, so added humidity was a good thing. Both the summers and winters were mild, so the swamp cooler wasn’t used too often. I would often have a big pot of water on the wood stove in the winter to add moisture to the air.

BusynMember

Its probably a dry 95 today. I just got back to the house after a walk to the store. I am not sure I dislike humid heat over dry heat. I feel like i just stepped out of an oven!

Not liking hot heat is why we decided not to make our winter home in Arizona. I rather it stay in the 60s and 70s and from what I saw, Arizona hits the 80s with regularity even in the winter. I dont want winter but I dont want summer either. More like a nice spring by water in Jan., Feb. and March.

AppleCori

Its probably a dry 95 today. I just got back to the house after a walk to the store. I am not sure I dislike humid heat over dry heat. I feel like i just stepped out of an oven!

Not liking hot heat is why we decided not to make our winter home in Arizona. I rather it stay in the 60s and 70s and from what I saw, Arizona hits the 80s with regularity even in the winter. I dont want winter but I dont want summer either. More like a nice spring by water in Jan., Feb. and March.

Prescott AZ is pretty mild. Highs are generally 50’s in winter to 80’s in summer and 60s to 70s in between. I loved the weather there.

AppleCori

We keep our home around 63°C -67°C (daytime summer months), and even cooler in the winter. Nighttime especially over the course of Autumn and Spring, the house is typically chilly, aside from the rooms we use, like the living room where the fireplace is usually going.

63-67 Celsius?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Gas forced air heat and central AC in my apartment. Unfortunately, the heat is the only thing that is gas, so I am stuck with a nasty, PITA electric stove that has led to me hardly ever doing any real cooking.

Pink Elephant

We lived in a high, dry desert at the time, so added humidity was a good thing. Both the summers and winters were mild, so the swamp cooler wasn’t used too often. I would often have a big pot of water on the wood stove in the winter to add moisture to the air.
I remember doing that with our old wood stove. We had a heavy cast brass kettle and I'd put cloves and cinnamon sticks inside. Such a lovely smell.

Pink Elephant

ROFLMAO! SOT, what are we going to do with you! LOL!

Okay, I'm not great with temp conversions either, but as luck would have it, I actually posted the temps in Fahrenheit, so, 63°F equates to roughly 19°C. Chilly for some, but not for us Canucks. LOL!

Pink Elephant

Oh yes, I cannot sleep when it's hot, not even warm. Our room has to be cool, even cold, and with a window cracked if the temp outside is below that in the house.