I think my son is homeless

Helpless29

My son called at midnight , first time I heard from him in awhile , he sounded bad , maybe on drugs or coming off them. He said he needed a picture of his ID because he was getting a hotel, I sent picture . I thought he was staying with a old girlfriend but guess not , maybe living on the streets not sure what he’s doing to get money , I could only imagine. I called some shelters today for youth , in case he called me again to tell him where he could stay . When I called the youth shelter , as I asked the lady a few questions, I just cried uncontrollably, I think the lady felt my pain & try to comfort me but at this point , I was crying so much , I couldn’t even talk. The thought of him being homeless struck me so hard . I don’t think it will be awhile before he gets picked up , as far as I know there is still no warrant number in system . I gave up on that after numerous calls over the past few weeks. I keep telling myself to be strong but I can’t stop crying.

BusynMember

My daughter told one.if two cousins, the only family members she will still talk to, that her and Lee refuse to dump the dilapidated motorhome a d live in a shelter. Her reasons were things like there are dumb rules, no pot allowed (and.pot isn't even a drug!!!,) and how the people are dangerous. She would live in a tent before a shelter!!! I have had to tell these cousins not to tell me what Kay says or does because her words scare me and rip hope from me.

I do not know if we can entice our kids to take advantage.of services offered. Your son probably knows where.he can stay and go to eat....there is a strong community on the streets. It helps me.knowing that they do take care.of one another.

I have also sometimes thought jail might help Kay but she never had been.there. Lee her husband spend time in jail for domestic abuse but just a night or two.

I feel so badly for your hurting heart. Keep us posted. Prayers for you and your son.

Deni D

Helpless, I'm sorry you are going through this. Sorry to hear your son is taking you on such a wild ride right now. Something struck me about him needed the picture id for a motel. Most motels won't rent to anyone who's not at least 18, in my area I think it's over 21. And for younger people they want a credit card to hold for security for possible damages. So I'm wondering if he is going through a shelter service. One time my son was put up in a motel, not a great place but a least inside, by our county services because they don't have a shelter for men. Hopefully your son has been in contact with homeless services and that's what the picture ID is about.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I'm so sorry. I know the worry and "what if's" is unbearable.

I hope that this ends soon for all of you.

Please keep us posted. Hugs.

Helpless29

Helpless, I'm sorry you are going through this. Sorry to hear your son is taking you on such a wild ride right now. Something struck me about him needed the picture id for a motel. Most motels won't rent to anyone who's not at least 18, in my area I think it's over 21. And for younger people they want a credit card to hold for security for possible damages. So I'm wondering if he is going through a shelter service. One time my son was put up in a motel, not a great place but a least inside, by our county services because they don't have a shelter for men. Hopefully your son has been in contact with homeless services and that's what the picture ID is about.
It’s a broken down hotel that he’s been to before, I googled the number after we hung up & it was the hotel , he is 18 teen & the hotels here in Chicago will let let you . He dosent have a credit card but I think at this place as long as you have the cash , they don’t care.