"Iam Adam...." author/mom on cnn now

buddy

I thought she was grace under pressure. She did not expect the blog to be so public and it got linked to something so that's how her name came out. She is being criticized for her breaking privacy for her son, but her son said if it will help someone he is ok with it. He is going to be pushed out of his short term acute care hospital soon. She is scared.

DammitJanet

She should be scared and she had the right to break his privacy, she is his mother and he is a minor. I was thinking of answering that Huffington post deal but I dont think they would have liked me much and I was at a doctor's appointment during that time. They seem very liberal and I am a pretty conservative. I should probably call Sean Hannity. I have had to turn off HLN because I want to throw something through my TV.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I thought it was something we all worry about when you have children with violent outbursts. Someone posted that this mother was horrible for letting people know he had difficult behavior. I am pretty sure anyone who sees his behavior will recognize it. I wish parents would stop being criticized for trying to reach out.
Living in fear of your child hurting your other children or you is a heavy burden to live with day in and day out. I hope there becomes a better way to handle such troubled children and adults without sticking them in old institutions like the old days. Some sort of residential living where the kids have a chance to be educated and treated but in the way of violent behavior it will be restrictive.
Unknowledgeable people like to say mother's are just dumping difficult children but if you walk in their shoes for a few days, you will know the terrible life this is.
Janet, I didn't get a conservative or liberal feel from the article I read. This is pretty much a non partisan parent screaming for the medical community and federal govnt for help.

DammitJanet

Someone said that the Huffington post tended to be a more liberal minded type media. Im not saying this piece was. I didnt see the podcast but I did read the woman's letter and I thought it was very well done.

witzend

I find that Huff Po can be fair, and they tend to allow people on both sides of the story to comment without a problem.

LittleDudesMom

In regards to this mother sharing her son's story, until we remove the stigma and allow other's to share in the issues we deal with, folks won't be able to "look out" for these kids like a real community. It always comes out after something like this - "Oh, he was a strange one",
"I knew something like this was going to happen", "I was always concerned about him". But you know, no one every steps in and reports or acts. It's easy to point a finger after the fact, but harder to put yourself out there if you are concerned.

We need to be more aware of the young people around us and what they, and their families, struggle with. None of us should be ashamed of the issues our children deal with. If someone were to blame me for my son's actions years ago, I couldn't have given a, well you know. It was more important that others knew of the struggle so I could get help. I never felt embarrassed about sharing my son's issues.

Sharon

B

Bunny

I think that what she did was courageous. She brought an issue to the fore front and people are now talking about how to help the mentally ill population of this country. Do I actually think that anything will get done? No, because the insurance companies seem to run the show when it comes to health care, bit it physical or mental, and they don't want to have to foot the bill for long stays in residential treatment facilities and expensive medications that will help one child, but will make another psychotic.

I had a few friends send me a link to ther blog post as a way of saying that I am not alone (which I knew because I am a member here, but it's always nice to be reassured by others). People who have never had to care for a mentall ill person, be it child or adult, will never, NEVER understand what we go through on a daily basis. This mom simply tried to make people understand.