I'm new here! 16yo son recently diagnosed with add/adhd, odd, and bipolar.

grnladybug

color me green
My 16 year old son was just diagnosed with add/adhd, odd and an unclassified form of bipolar. He suffers from depression.

I'm still trying to adsorb this as is he.

I wanted to find a place where I could learn and ask questions.

They have him on abilify and lamactil so far. He has been on the medications since Friday 3/6. He has had bloody noses every day since then so they told me to take him off of the abilify to see if the nose bleeds stop. He is also very lethargic with little energy. Has had a headache or two as well.

This is all so new to me.

This is such a confusing process and I only want whats best for my son.

The place I took him to seems nice and fine to me. Yet around town there is some negative feedback about this place.

Do they medications sound right for someone just starting medications?

Also, on the threads and in people signatures, I see acronyms I am unfamiliar with like, husband, and difficult child etc...??? Help! :)

I would add my familys details but don't know what the acronyms mean.

All help and support is greatly appreciated...

everywoman

Welcome. I won't comment on medications right now, as I am not sure what doses for those medications should be. I will point you in the right direction to help you make sense of the acronyms and how to make a signature. In the bar right above post reply you will see a FAQ link. It should answer some questions. You have found a great place for support.

grnladybug

color me green
Ok...I tried to find an acronym list but was unsuccessful.
I looked through the FAQ...

Can you translate from your signature...?

what do the following stand for...

husband
easy child
difficult child

I see those used a lot.

Thank you so much for the welcome and any help.

I did find where I can do a signature but just don't know the acronyms and if it is mandatory I use them.

BusynMember

Hi there and welcome! difficult child (Gift from God or our difficult child), easy child (well-behaved or typical child) husband (dear husband).
Sounds like things are pretty tough for you right now. How do YOU feel about your son's diagnosis? Do you feel they nailed it or do you think they maybe missed the mark? What does your "mom gut" tell you? What type of professional diagnosed your son and is giving him his medications? My psychiatrist (psychiatrist) likes to try one medication at a time, not two, because if you do it two at once--you never know which medication is causing side effects.
What kind of symptoms do you see with your son that alerted you? Does he have psychiatric issues or substance abuse on either side of the family tree? Is his socializing normal with his same-age peers? Does he "get it?" as in get the rules of life? How is he doing in school? What doses of medications is he taking? If that were my son, I would have preferred him starting slowly and with one medication at a time, preferably the Lamictal. Did you know Lamictal takes eight weeks to actually work?

You may want to post a signature like I did below. The more we know the better we can try to help you. Is there any drug use going on with your son?

Welcome again!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Welcome grnladybug,
Glad you found us but sorry you had to. The answers to MWM's questions will help. You truly have found a supportive place to be and are not alone! Again welcome and be sure you are finding some time to take care of you. Hugs.

grnladybug

color me green
Ok...I added my info to my signature.

I am busy packing up the hubby as he flies out for work tomorrow morning again. :(

I will answer and share more as soon as I can.

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome. :)

~ladybug

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Hi I just wanted to add my welcome.
I would, if you haven't already, start a very thorough journal of all of his moods, reaction, anything related to the medications.
Keep track off his ups and downs... anything that is a change from the normal.
Tell us more about what led you to seek help for your son.

DDD

Welcome. Glad you found us...sorry you had to. This is a terrific place and the only "mandatory" things I know about are avoiding vulgarity and political/social controversies. on the other hand, in the Watercooler on occasion we do get a bit "off" on hot topics like The Bachelor etc. :alien:

I percieve the Board as a neighborhood of supportive diversity. Almost all the time you will find caring people prepared to listen and lend a hand as you try to get through the strains of life with a difficult child.

Regarding your difficult child I am curious. Who did the diagnosing? Was it a pediatric psychiatrist? Did the professional do a complete neuropsychologist exam? How did you happen to choose that particular clinic? Lots of questions. :redface: My experience has been that medications are usually introduced one at a time also. The only time one of mine has begun two new medications was the youngest (now 18) who after years of searching finally was seen by an awesome adolescent psychiatrist. In the difficult child world there are a bunch of exceptions to the rules but you'll find we all ask questions and ponder a bit before trying to reach out with advice. DDD

PS: Did you post asking about nose bleeds the other day??

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Hi and welcome.

If he tends toward the depressive end of the bipolar-ish diagnosis (diagnosis), then Lamictal is probably a good choice for him as a mood stabilizer. Abilify can help with impulse control, agression and negativity -- so if that's what you've seen in your difficult child in the past, I would think this medication would be good. Abilify does cause sedation. When my difficult child 2 took it he did so at night to lessen the effect somewhat. Can't really speak to the nosebleed issue. Perhaps your pharmacist might be able to shed some light on that.

When you get some time, please tell us a little more about your difficult child's history, how you came to this diagnosis for him, and anything else you feel is pertinent.

You've come to a great place for information and support. The people here are like none other I've ever met!

HI, Welcome! My daughter, nearly 16 is on this combo and it works well for her. She takes 15 Abilify during the day and 100 Lactimal at night. I have also found much info and support at Child and Adolscent Bipolar Foundation Compssion

susiestar

Roll With It
Welcome!! Glad you found us but sorry you needed to!

I can't speak for the medications simply because I am not very familiar with them. I did take lamictal for a short period to help jolt me out of a severe depression when my difficult child was at his worst. I don't really even remember how I felt when I took it.

anyway, you have a lot going on. This is a WONDERFUL place to ask questions, learn, get support and find resources. We have members all over the world and there are a lot of people here who really CARE and are willing to share info and help.

For the nosebleeds you might get some Ayr saline nasal GEL. difficult child can use a qtip to put a small amount up into his nose to help keep the area there moisturized. It was a big help when I was having allergy nosebleeds. It has aloe in it so it is very soothing. If you don't see it on the shelf then ask the pharmacist for it (some keep it behind the counter because it is small and can be stolen easily).

Welcome!

Susie