Incase you weren't aware of how the new health care law effects Mental health (good)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Wow! Bet this means that a lot more providers will get into mental health treatment and more services will become available...

exhausted

I hope it stands as is. Getting the help we need from a high cost insurance through both mine and husband's works (same plan through district and we are dual covered) has been so hard. Only X amount os visits and X amount care-3 days max a year for inpatient when difficult child is suicidal. Just inhumane. Thanks for sharing Tiapet. Lets hope and pray it stands and just gets better.

Nancy

It will be repealed for sure. But that doesn't matter, it's just a political ploy. The supreme court ruled it legal and the political jerks can't overturn that.

Nancy

DammitJanet

May help some but the psychiatrists I have talked to are not happy. It is also going to really hurt those of us on Medicare and Medicaid. They try to sugar coat it and say it wont but it already is. My psychiatrist who had a stand alone practice had to shut his down and join a huge practice that is part of one working under a local 3 county hospital system. This is so he simply gets a salary and doesnt have to pay his own insurances. The amount he was looking to get from the public health insurance such as Medicare and Medicaid were just estimated to be way to low for him to turn any type of profit and he was one of the good guys in private practice who took those on Medicare and Medicaid. I sure wish they would fix the stupid law about which type of therapist they would pay for. Even the people at Medicare cant figure that one out. There shouldnt be an issue but there is. It needs to be changed at the congressional level but so far, they have been fighting for the last 15 years to get LPC into the wording and they cant get it in.

It isnt just mental health either for us. I called to make an appointment for some physical therapy and was told that yeah I could make the appointment but I should know going in that they have now capped it at 1200 lifetime for people on medicare and medicaid! If they back date that, I have more than used my allotment. And, if I ever plan to have knee surgery, I will have used up my lifetime cap if I do this PT now. I dont know what to do. Gamble that something may change before I need the knees replaced and do what I need to do for me now or bank it.

witzend

It will be repealed for sure. But that doesn't matter, it's just a political ploy. The supreme court ruled it legal and the political jerks can't overturn that.

Nancy

Yay, Nancy! This is the correct answer. However, I think that when they start making political hay out of something that is so beneficial to us, we still need to let them know that we're watching, and we will remember when election time comes around.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I have mixed feelings.

In theory, this looks awesome for MH issues. But - anything that is THAT COMPLICATED is going to have major hiccups.

I'm just praying the hiccups get worked out quickly.

BusynMember

Congress is voting to repeal it tomorrow.

Well, they won't be able to. And if Obama wins again, once the ACA is in place, it will be very hard to repeal. People who would not otherwise have insurance are not going to want to give it up. I have always felt we should offer health care to everybody so I'm crossing my fingers.

However, I do see both sides. But it's hard not to have any insurance.

Tiapet

Old Hand
Across the twitter feed (which is where I am getting all these links and information that I subscribe to) it is said that the (please don't kill messenger - just relaying THEIR words) republicans in the House will repeal the bill but when it gets to Senate it will not be overturned!

busywend

I like it. And sure it will be complicated and have its issues that can be worked out over time. Just like all the other public services. They all need tweaking these days. Times change and policy should change with it.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
If Romney gets in, he is hell bent on repealing it, even though it was his idea in the first place.

Everyone was against social security, Medicaid and Medicare back in the day...it's been tweaked several times over the years to go along with the changing needs of society, the last by Clinton. I think we are facing the same thing here with the ACA.