Intermittent Fasting

Lil

Lil. Can you accept that hunger could be hormonal?

Is this, Lil, I ask you really and primarily an issue of personal choice? I accept personal choice is an element, but is it really the driving one?

I'm not saying hormones play no part. I said:'

Is there a large genetic component? Yes. Do hormones play a part? Of course. When you are stressed you will hold on to weight. When your metabolism changes, you will hold on to weight.

I know teeny tiny women who eat McDonalds and sweets every single day and never get over 100 lbs. I know men - my son is one - who eats nothing but junk and plenty of it - who are thin. Genetics, hormones, metabolism - whatever you want to ascribe it to - it all has an effect.

I am a person who does not do hunger well. I'm not diabetic, by my whole life I could have done a Snicker's commercial. I'm not myself when I'm hungry. I never knew it until my Senior Partner at a law firm I worked for told the secretaries at our office, after we'd taken an overnight trip together, "You have to feed Lil. She gets mean when she's hungry!" In the last 15 years of so I've noticed occasions where, if I get too hungry - like skipping breakfast and it's 3:00 in the afternoon and I've been running around - I get nauseous and shaky. Again - I'm not diabetic - never have been. But there's something about me that makes that happen.

I'm just saying that you deal with what you've got. I have had friends who, when upset or busy or stressed, "forget to eat". I hate those people. The ONLY time in my entire life I was too upset to eat was when my mother died. After a day or two my aunts took me out and sat me down and forced a meal on me and the dam broke and I ate like a pig.

But, like a person with a handicap has to learn to overcome that handicap, a person who's hormones or genetics make them gain and hold weight (with the rare exception of someone who really has a metabolic disorder like a thyroid malfunction or glandular issue) has to learn to overcome that hormonal or genetic issue and take affirmative steps to avoid doing those things that make them gain, or keep them from losing.

I find that losing is much harder now, at 52, than it was pre-menopause. I'm sure it is hormones to blame for that.

I can only speak for myself of course. But I've lost weight successfully too many times to say it can't be done through self-control and exercise. It definitely can. I stop eating the sweets and high fat foods and exercise, I WILL lose weight. Maybe slowly, maybe quickly - but it will come off. The problem I have is that I don't have the self-control to keep it up forever...and the weight sneaks back on.

Fat cells never die. They just shrink down and lay in wait for you eat a Blizzard. (Not-So-Fun Fact: One Medium Turtle Pecan Cluster Blizzard has 900 calories and 48 grams of fat.)

Not true.
Muscle weighs more than fat.

I meant "lose weight" as synonymous with "lose fat". After all, losing fat is what we actually care about.

I don't think I'll do the intermittent fasting at this point. I wouldn't try it anyway until I'd talked with my doctor and dietician (who I'm sure is ready to wash her hands of me). But I will be stalking you ladies and seeing how you are doing.

If it matters - not sure of your ages - Jabber's sister is about my age, 52, and so I'm sure hormonal changes have to be starting to hit her too.

Maybe you'll at least inspire me enough to get back on my own program.

Last edited:

InsaneCdn

I'm over 50.
Not bragging - I've done my share of Ping-Pong with weight.
But I have now lost 3/4 of my goal. In a year and a half. I have 10 more pounds to go.

My biggest changes in "choices" were:
1) serious stress reduction, and
2) significant restriction of starches (and sugar), including elimination of wheat

Some days I'm starving - and stuff myself with veggies. Other days I hardly feel like eating, so nibble on fruit. In some ways, it's almost like the intermittent fasting approach except I'm not planning it, I'm just listening to my body.

AppleCori

Ha! Good thing I only had the SMALL Blizzard!

I'm sure the calorie count is infinitesimally less!:oops:

Ok, guys, off to the Y.

Well, since my daughter has her swimming lesson there, it's not like it is any different than any other week. But I do work out. I will just have to work extra hard to burn those extra 25 or so Blizzard calories from last night!:confused:

And it wasn't even that fun! I had a stomach ache afterwards. Not sure whether it was the Blizzard or the guilt from it.

I am not doing the fasting. Don't think it would work for me in the long run. I am just going to watch what I eat and increase the exercise. Next time hubby wants a Blizzard, I won't get one.

Apple

Lil

Ha! Good thing I only had the SMALL Blizzard!

I'm sure the calorie count is infinitesimally less!:oops:

Actually, rather significantly less :) 670 calories, 31 grams of fat (but only 16 of saturated).

Want to know something really scary - DQ six piece chicken strip basket - 1,250 calories, 61 grams of total fat, and 3,190 grams of sodium!
:916wildone:

DQ is one of the biggest diet offenders.

By contrast, you can have a Krispy Kreme Doughnut for 190 calories, 11 grams of fat. - that means you can eat 3 1/2 doughnuts for that one small blizzard - and 6 1/2 doughnuts for the one chicken strip basket.

Mmmm. Doughnuts.
Donut.jpg

On the up side, DQ's Dilly Bar only has 220 calories.

Yes, still more than a doughnut.

9c77b5ee_homer-simpson-dreams-of-donuts.jpg

(I really like doughnuts.)

Lil

But the Blizzard is healthy - it's dairy, right?
Right.

Try ... hmmm. Right. Most of the sweeter stuff I like is loaded with calories too. Like pecan pie - which is super healthy because of all the eggs ;)

When I was a 20 something and I did WW, they did "exchanges"; so many breads, so many meats, so many fats, so many fruits, and you got unlimited vegetables.

Wine is grapes. Tequila is cactus. Vodka is potatoes. Beer is grain. :beersmiley:

Seriously, that's how my friend and I counted our booze...which was great, because we got unlimited tequila. LOL

Incidentally, we still lost weight. The joys of being 20-something.

TheWalrus

I Am The Walrus
I also remember watching a documentary on the study of genetics and the role it plays in our bodies. I don't remember it all, but I remember they did a controlled study where they took these people who had significant amounts of weight to lose. They lived in these apartments where everything was weighed out and done for them, including type of exercise. They all lost weight. Problem was they couldn't keep it off outside that environment - many gaining it all back and more. The study concluded that our body remembers that weight (wasn't worded that way) and you have to fight to keep it off. There was a percentage to go by. Instead of every 3600 calorie deficit = 1 lb loss, you had to decrease those calories by 10% for very so many extra lbs in order to keep it off. In other words, some people might have to have a 4300 calorie deficit to lose a lb. and where other people their weight and body type might be able to eat 1800 calories a day to maintain, they may only be able to eat 13000 calories to maintain. It was pretty fascinating and explained why some people couldn't follow the general guidelines to lose and maintain weight loss. The more you have and the longer you have it greatly affects what you your body can take in to lose weight and maintain it.

InsaneCdn

The more you have and the longer you have it greatly affects what you your body can take in to lose weight and maintain it.
Agree.
If you have a LOT to lose, it also helps to plan to lose in smaller increments. If you have to lose 100 lbs, try dropping by 10 or 20 and then maintaining that weight for 6 months to a year. Then do it again.

Now that I stop and think about it, that's pretty much what I did without planning it - drop by 10 over 2-3 months, then hold it for 4+ months, then drop another 10.

Copabanana

But I have now lost 3/4 of my goal. In a year and a half. I have 10 more pounds to go.
Good job, Insane.
Ok, guys, off to the Y.
Good job, Apple.
The study concluded that our body remembers that weight (wasn't worded that way) and you have to fight to keep it off.
Yes. And the set point can travel upwards, which is what I think mine has done. Considerably upward. Like more than 40 lbs.
In other words, some people might have to have a 4300 calorie deficit to lose a lb. and where other people their weight and body type might be able to eat 1800 calories a day to maintain, they may only be able to eat 13000 calories to maintain.
I am determined. I believe I am one of these unfortunate people. But like Lil I was able to lose before. Where there is a will there is a way.

I fasted yesterday. Almost fasted. 500 calories in a window of 6 hours. The thinking is that by eating late in the morning and stopping earlier in the day/evening it lengthens the break-fast giving the body time to deplete glycogen stores, and thereby burning fat of necessity.

Hi Lil, Insane, Walrus, Apple. KT, you here?

Last edited:

Lil

Agree.
If you have a LOT to lose, it also helps to plan to lose in smaller increments. If you have to lose 100 lbs, try dropping by 10 or 20 and then maintaining that weight for 6 months to a year. Then do it again.

Now that I stop and think about it, that's pretty much what I did without planning it - drop by 10 over 2-3 months, then hold it for 4+ months, then drop another 10.

That's also something that WW talks about...at least when I did it. They suggested you look to losing 10% of your total loss. Then you go for the next 10%. I love the idea of losing part, stopping, then keeping that off for a while before starting on the next amount.

The study concluded that our body remembers that weight (wasn't worded that way) and you have to fight to keep it off.

This makes perfect sense to me. I have had years and years where I maintained a certain weight, with no gaining, no losing. When I did gain, I lost back to that level fairly easily, but then plateaued and could not lose more without a terrible struggle. I always said my body liked weighing that weight. Apparently, I was right.

Copabanana

I lost back to that level fairly easily, but then plateaued and could not lose more without a terrible struggle.
I love the idea of losing part, stopping, then keeping that off for a while before starting on the next amount.
I don't. I want to lose it all. I lost 17 pounds. It took about 16 months. Then I did not budge for 6 months, the same weight to a tenth of a pound until I started this fasting. I hope I push through.

AppleCori

Kinda like teeth--my kids have had their teeth want to migrate back to their original pre-braces placement. My kids have to use retainers for forever. One of my daughters is doing the Invisalign (years after having braces as a teen) to get her teeth realigned. They still look good to me but she is a perfectionist. At least she is paying this time!

I know that is definitely the way our bodies work!

Well, went to the gym and worked off 100 or so extra calories ( in addition to the regular workout). Only six more workouts to get rid of the extra Blizzard weight!

I'm better at the exercise part than the not eating part.

Now, I could probably live without donuts or ice cream if I needed to. Usually during the summer we make our own version of milkshakes or blizzards in the blender, but this year hubby doesn't want to buy ice cream because he will eat it every night if it is in the house. Hence, the impromptu blizzard run. I cam have it in the house and eat it occasionally--but potato chips are my downfall. And chips with dip--I love it.so I don't keep those in the house either.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Copa, pls get your thyroid tested. Have them test for t3/t4 and TSH. The first two are the thyroid hormones. The latter is a hormone your pituitary makes to tell the thyroid to make more hormones.

If you are hypothryoid (low thyroid), your TSH will be elevated as the pituitary can sense that thyroid hormones are low, freaks out, and starts nagging the thyroid by sending more and more TSH.

You describe a few sx of hypothryroidism in addition to the inability to lose weight: dry skin, being cold. Is your hair thinning? Do you have scaly patches on your skin? What about bodily aches and pains, constipation?

I have a basically non-functioning thyroid. It is basically nothing but a mass of cysts with a bit of gland tissue mixed in. That's from Hashimoto's disorder, in which my immune system attacked my thyroid. There are other things HT does, like dry mouth and eyes. Hashimoto's can be diagnosed by a needle biopsy. There is a specific type of cell that is characteristic for HT. If they find that cell on biopsy and don't find cancer cells. You'll be OK, just have to closely monitor thyroid levels as on occasion they can switch from low to too high, especially in young people,

It's a rare excuse for not being able to lose weight but its a legit one. I know I need my dosage of replacement hormones adjusted (after blood draw tomorrow), as my scaly forehead skin is back, the body pain is back with a vengeance, and my hair is shedding like crazy. I was finally able to lose some weight after the last increase in replacement hormones, but the combination of plateauing combined with the other sx tells me that the ol' gland is in trouble again.

If it is your thyroid, you'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel once you get the dosage of replacement hormones figured out. The thyroid is one of the master glands: its hormones influence many processes int he body, including conversion of energy.

KTMom91

I'm here! Worked this morning and now (at 2pm) I have 8700 steps in. Morning bus duty will do that.

Came home, had a sandwich, started laundry, and turned on the cooler. It's hot!

I can't do the actual fasting thing - I'm diabetic - but will be cutting back and be eating better food - not Mega Stuf Oreos - since our local Farmer's Market started up last Friday. Blueberries - the world's most perfect food!

PonyGirl65

Menopause gifted me with 15 extra pounds. I'm very thin, have been all my life. Ladies, I took a pregnancy test when I happened to notice my gut all the sudden in the shower one morning! (T'was negative, thank goodness)

So, I've been working on returning that 15 pounds back to whence it came. Varied success. Not ever being weight conscious I had NO clue. A friend recommended the book "The 17 Day Diet" and that is what I've been following.

If I am religious in my following, about 5 pounds a week come off!! But, sometimes I'm not very religious.

Um....so even after 2 weeks this time through, I still have another 10 pounds to go.

I decided I would try this diet ONE MORE TIME, and if it "didn't work", then I would work on acceptance of this is how my body is going to look from now on.

Copabanana

Only six more workouts to get rid of the extra Blizzard weight!
Oh dear.This is depressing.
t3/t4 and TSH.
Going, I do not have the other stuff that I am conscious of--dry skin or cold. But the fatigue, is debilitating. I did have a CBC 6 months which was OK. He did check thyroid, but maybe it did not include the t3/t4. I will ask. Thank you.
8700 steps in
Good job, KT.
I can't do the actual fasting thing - I'm diabetic
I am not recommending any treatments here but you might find interesting Dr. Jason Fung's work with diabetics. I sure did. His explanation of the disease and treatments was fascinating.
"The 17 Day Diet" and that is what I've been following.

If I am religious in my following, about 5 pounds a week come off!!
Wow!!!

I do not have much of an appetite today, my third day, but did not have the stamina to go without food entirely. Will eat an early dinner and call it a day.

Thank you, ladies, for your support (and friendship.)

Last edited:

PonyGirl65

I will look up that book, Pony, as I am not a patient person and 17 days sounds good to me! I can do anything for 17 days!

Yes, Apple, my thoughts exactly! Although I must confess, I was REALLY surprised how much I missed bread in that 17 days. Bread! What?! Yes. Bread. :)

It's a very good book and extremely easy to read. The guy gives excellent direction and provides menus & recepies too. That first 17 days however, includes LOTS of fish. I am NOT a fish eater, so it gets a bit tedious. HINT: It goes on to the NEXT 17 days, and then 17 days after that, etc. etc.

Peace

AppleCori

Oh nice!

We eat a lot of fish in the spring and fall, as hubby and daughter (and his sons also) enjoy fishing.

No bread sounds tough, though.

I looked at it on amazon and it sounds intriguing.