Intermittent Fasting

Copabanana

Well, I got through the week with a net loss of 1.5 lbs thank you very much. I have whined before that I had stayed stuck at the same weight to the ounce for 6 months. So good for me.

Going forward:

1.5 pounds a week, if I can sustain it, on average, is fine.

Insane, it is not that I am disregarding your advice to start slowly, which I agree with, it is because my morale will so much be improved if I can lose 6 pounds before I start to work.

So, I will review here my intentions:

Today, eat dinner only. Coffee (1 large cup) and tea or herbal tea the rest of the day. (I bought Stevia).

If I need a snack after dinner, a bit of sweet potato. I am thinking this sounds severe, but I will try.

Walk 10,000 steps 5 to 6 days this week.

KTMom91

I did fairly well yesterday, and am off to a good start today. Corn Chex with blueberries and sliced almonds.

Dinner will be mozzarella and pesto chicken with roasted potatoes and green salad.

If I didn't hurt so damn bad I'd go for a walk. Working on that.

PiscesMom

Interesting post... I do a bit of intermittant fasting in addition to eating very low carb, high fat. It's a strict version of that old Adkins thing. I lost 40 pounds and have kept it off for over a year, reduced my joint pain tremendously (I have arthritis), improved my mental clarity, and feel better than I have in years. Contrary to the beliefs of many nutritionists and some medical folks (I am a medical person) this way of eating is very sound and will produce great health benefits. I'm happy to finally see a number of doctors learning more about this and teaching their patients about the benefits. This way of eating will reverse type II diabetes too. I know it's not for every person, but it's been great for me (and about 100 of my medical friends as well). Ketogenic eating will even help to control seizures in children when medications do not work. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there in case anyone else here uses this in addition to IF to control weight and improve health. I wish I could say I exercised, but nope, nothing more than just being a busy body and working long hours.
just starting reading this thread. i gained a lot of weight after my son's behavior got bad. I was up to 173 (!!!) and did Atkins, and easily got down to 135 or so, in about 6 months. I don't weigh myself anymore, but I really like high fat, low carb. i have read that low fat diets are bad for people with depression issues. One well known nutritionalist says something like think "satisfied" for "saturated" in saying that butter is good. Something like that. I use a lot of coconut oil - that is my favorite fat.
I am pretty skeptical of fasting and calorie reduction. Doesn't it just make you hungry and make your body conserve calories?

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
That's good to know as the only cruciferous veggies I've tried so far that I don't like at all are broccoli and KALE, and I only like spinach raw.

Copabanana

I am looking all over this thread for superg's post about losing 40 lbs by intermittent fasting and cannot find it! (To which Pisces Mom refers above.)

I cannot believe I did not either here of or pay attention before to the medical research on this method. Intermittent Fasting.

My son has long espoused the low carb high fat way of eating. He has, for years, insisted my arthritis would improve, my cholesterol go down, and I would lose weight by dietary change, high fat and limiting carbs.

He practices this diet to lower inflammation. He has liver disease and mental illness. He believes that he has more mood stability with this diet and drinks olive oil. His main protein source is fatty fish such as salmon when he can afford it and sardines when he cannot.

While I have not lost enough weight to see if my neck pain will ameliorate, when I was 50 pounds lighter I had no pain *duh. I am so greatly encouraged by this thread.

Thank you, ladies. This is so helpful, to feel not alone.
If I didn't hurt so damn bad I'd go for a walk.
Me, too. But I will walk today. By this time the heat should be too great to walk mid-day but we are having a cooler spell. I will walk!
Dinner will be mozzarella and pesto chicken with roasted potatoes and green salad.
Kt. This sounds delicious. M will not eat cheese with meat or poultry, but I sure will. I love Pesto.
I am pretty skeptical of fasting and calorie reduction.
Why?

I am pretty skeptical of calorie reduction alone. While I lost weight initially, I plateaued and despite rigorously maintaining a lower cal regimen, I cannot lose weight any more, with just caloric restriction.

I am having good luck this week with intermittent fasting and when I was young had success with near-fasting, at 600 calories a day.

In my adult life I have vacillated between 126 or 127 all the way to 172 to 180 on a few occasions (not counting in the last couple of years going even higher--which we will not mention here. OK?)

For some reason in the past, I was able to drop the 50 pounds, fairly easily, without dietary change. I think it was either reducing stress or increasing exercise. With each I am able to moderate my appetite too, without any suffering or trying. This time it is not working.

Thus, this thread.

Thank you very much ladies. I so do appreciate it.

BusynMember

Just popping in. I lost 50 lbs. From WW and working out. It took nine months. I gained some back when I got into my accident and couldn't chose what I ate and was too blitzed on morphine and fentanyl to count points. And too whacked to care. So I gained 15 lbs. And it may not sound like a lot but I'm only 5'0 1/2 in. Tall. I always include that half inch.

My family is slim to skinny and so was I until I started taking paroxaten. It starves you. I never knew how it felt to feel hungry just because. I gained 80 pounds and felt like a blimp. I kept reading online that you can't lose weight on my medication, that it changes your metabolism etc.

It's not true. Just makes you feel hungry. I decided to count calories, eat small meals and exercise, no big deal for me as I was already exercising. The combination worked but I gained some of it back so I went to WW kicked up my workout and lost 50 lbs. In nine months without hunger.

I consider exercising a mandatory part of weight loss. Makes it faster, I feel great, and I can still do most of what I did at 40. Well, thanks for this thread because I need to knock off that 15 hospital pounds and I've been lazy. I'm maintaining my weight but I want it gone.

I like to run. When I first tried, I had a hard time and I don't run FAST and I look like a flapping duck, but who cares? Going to start that five days a week again.

I'm doing low cal and healthy and work outs. Well see. For me I tend to have no appetite and lose weight under stress. Guess it's different for all. I think I'm more grnetically wired to be able to lose if I put forth any effort. I have a very trim family. I am the only one who struggles.

Those stupid antidepressants!!! L:eek:

Last edited:

Copabanana

Just popping in.
Welcome, SWOT.

You are an inspiration.

I continue with intermittent fasting. I eat one time a day, in the evening. During the day I drink a large cup of coffee and tea, black or herbal. My appetite during the day is minimal, much decreased. My energy is improved from when I began.

The evening meal is minimal as well. A large salad with olive oil dressing and a protein source.

On Sunday I slipped up, but I consider that if I slip up once a week it is considered part of the program, so as to keep my metabolism from slowing down as much.

I give credence to the science behind the way I am approaching this. This helps a lot.

I had vowed to begin walking again, but have not done so yet. This is the weak link. I am out of shape.

Glad you are here, SWOT. How is everybody: going, up all night, pisces, walrus, kt, insane (who did I miss?...)

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Haven't read entire thread but Copa have you had your Vitamin D checked?

I was exhausted and found out it was very low - 13 and was supposed to be at least 50 so was put on supplements and it helped tremendously!

I had never had a vitamin D deficiency but as I aged my body did not absorb it the same way. I am now on a multivitamin with D in it.

Copabanana

My son keeps nagging me about taking supplement, especially Vitamin D. I will start. Nor do I take a multivitamin. Time to start.

Copabanana

CB, if you are here, why not try this intermittent fasting with me? It is very easy, the way I am doing it.
I lost 2.5 pounds the first week.

This is what I am doing:

I do not eat until a very early dinner and I do not eat after dinner. That is it. The dinner I eat is largely a salad with protein, whether chicken, steak, cheese, nuts, fish, etc. I do not eat after dinner.

During the day I drink a large cup of coffee, and tea.

I recall you take psychiatric medications, and I do not remember if you are diabetic.

I do not know how you would have to modify the eating with these factors. There is a medical doctor, Jason Fung, who is a nephrologist, I think, who espouses this. I read his work and listened to his lectures before I started. I was quite impressed.

He works with diabetics and other quite ill people. There are all kinds of possible variations.

My appetite is much reduced and my energy is up.

BusynMember

Not eating and drinking only water after 6pm is helping me. Maybe it's better not to sleep on the calories? This has helped me in the past too.

When and how do you weigh yourself? I do it every day (I know every one doesn't do this) and it's as soon as I wake up and to be delicate...I admit I weigh myself in my birthday suit. Yes, gross. But I want to give myself every advantage.:raspberry: You?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I don't even own a scale. I go on how my clothing fits. I just discovered that half of my underwear are now too big. Luckily, I found out at home as I suddenly realized that the only thing keeping my undies up was the crotch of my PJ pants.

I get weighed at my psychiatrist appts every couple of months and am losing weight steadily.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm down below 200lbs for the 1st time in at least 7 years. I'm hoping I'll be able to continue to wear some of the nice clothes I got. The tops should be OK< as they are mostly tunics and meant to hang loose.

The pants may be problematic as they mostly have elastic waists. So far they are staying up, but the Jeggings don't fit tight, by any means.

Copabanana

Not eating and drinking only water after 6pm is helping me.
SW0T, based on what I have been reading this is excellent. By not eating after 6 pm you are fasting for 12 to 14 hours depending upon what time you eat breakfast. This allows your body to use up the short term glycogen stores, and turn to burning fat. It is considered very healthy to give your body a rest from eating.

InsaneCdn

Almost there. It's been at least a year and a half at working this weight down. Got on the scale yesterday. Then dug out my favorite outfits from the back of the closet. Today... I'm wearing a really good outfit that I haven't fit into for at least 20 years. It's a timeless classic, thank goodness. I have clothes again!

Seven more pounds to go.

KTMom91

So far today I've gotten in 7600 steps. I worked this afternoon - kindergarten - and was running errands before and after. Did well food-wise; ate meals and left the cookies alone.

TheWalrus

I Am The Walrus
I weigh 2-3 times a week. Five lbs can come on and not feel that different in my clothes. I also try to wear a Fitbit several times a week, just to see how active I am, how many steps I am taking in a day, etc. It is also a pretty good motivator. It is suggested to get in 10,000 steps a day.

Copabanana

I'm wearing a really good outfit that I haven't fit into for at least 20 years.
Congratulations, Insane. Seven pounds more? A piece of cake (I mean, a carrot stick.)
left the cookies alone.
Good job. What is a cookie?

Hi, KT.

I am going along, getting accustomed to the one evening meal, and eating lightly then. Was at Costco and just had a diet soda. Bypassed the hand outs.

Limiting myself to one large cup of coffee and the rest of the day herbal tea. My appetite is much decreased and my energy is back. (I have a big bottle of Vit D and will start tomorrow with a multivitamin. Thank you, RN)

I went to the nutritionist last night: In the 10 days on this plan, I have lost 5 pounds. She warned me that my metabolism will adjust downward to this decreased calorie count. I asked her, "what am I going to do to lose more weight, if I stop losing, 'cut off my arm?'" She laughed and said, "No. Exercise."

She agreed with the theory of fasting depleting the glycogen stores and forcing the body to turn to the stored abdominal fat.

Walrus. I see you posted just now. Hi.

Nomad. All of this is thanks to you. If you had not looked up that 5:2 diet, by Dr. Mosley. And you, Lil. I had not heart of the alternate day fasting until you told me about your sister in law.

Thank you all.

That makes me all the more committed to stick to this as long as can do so successfully.

I am hoping to start work by June 13th. I want to get to 164 by then, within 25 pounds of my goal of 139.

With this weight loss, I am getting hopeful that with exercise, I will be able to get to 132, which is a good weight for me.

TheWalrus

I Am The Walrus
Hmmmm...mine isn't any different than a watch really. Tells time, pedometer, activity meter, and goal tracker. It has no wifi or internet connection at all. A smart watch would be different but I would *think* it would be ok. Can't hurt to ask.