Intermittent Fasting

TheWalrus

I Am The Walrus
Congrats on the job!! How exciting! I am so happy for you.

It has been a BUSY afternoon so I am logging in late.

I never care if it is water weight or not, either. It is weight, extra weight, I am carrying around for some reason and I am glad to be rid of it. And my water weight is usually bloating so when it is gone, that is great for me.

Herbal tea? As in green tea or something else? I like green tea and peppermint tea. And water, water, water, water....

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I'm here Copa, reading along, enjoying what you all have to say. You guys are doing a great job!

I'm continuing on my plant based, whole foods diet.....it's a tad drastic, I know, but it was initiated by a health issue with my husband, so this seemed like a good way to get really healthy. We also stopped sugar and dairy.

Giving up cheese is tough, but today I was looking for recipes online and a number of them had diary......... and then I read an article in the paper about a local company which makes vegan cheeses which the author of the article said, "don't suck!" I had to laugh (because they usually do!) But, they have an exclusive contract with Whole Foods so as soon as I can, I am running to Whole Foods to check it out. I'll let you know if the cheeses are any good.

This way of eating, for me, ends up working out quite well.....and a terrific bi-product is that excess weight falls off easily. I think a lot of that is no sugar and no "white" stuff, rice, bread, potatoes...and no meat....

I had so much energy today, and that has been such a wonderful result too, because those last few months of my working life were so stressful and I was so fatigued from it all, that all this energy makes me so happy...I no longer feel like the 100 year old woman.......and like some of you have mentioned, in the last 2 years no matter what I did, I could NOT lose any weight, in fact, I gained weight!

I'm beginning to fit into my "thin" clothes. Today I bought a sun dress (which I wouldn't have even considered in the last 2 years) for my husbands birthday party next month.....YAY!!

We're doing it ladies!!

Copabanana

Glad you are here, ladies. Hi Walrus and RE.
As in green tea or something else? I like green tea and peppermint tea.
I do not like much green tea. I was drinking mint flavored chamomile and ran out. Now I am drinking anise flavored chamomile. When I run out I will grab mint from the yard. M makes a very healthy remedy, a tea of mint leaves and aloe vera which we boil together. It was the only thing that saved me when my stomach was bad.

My favorite is black tea. But I drink it with milk and splenda. I did not know before that artificial sweeteners affect blood sugar or something like that-which is not good. I am allowing myself one large cup of coffee a day (morning) with 2 spenda.

I thought I would miss my black tea in the afternoon but so far so good. (I did not know but black tea has something in it that relaxes one. It really has this effect on me.)

I love black tea!! Love it. I am a Scot. Early memories were milky tea. With aunts reading tea leaves. And shortbread and scones and oat cakes.
excess weight falls off easily. I think a lot of that is no sugar and no "white" stuff, rice, bread, potatoes...and no meat....
I worked with a really nice lady who is 7th day adventist, and a medical doctor, a psychiatrist. She was a lifelong vegan, and I believe most 7th day adventists are. She told be about something called the China Study that had proven the life-extending properties of this lifestyle.

The last month or so I have been eating a lot of salad. And actually craved it for breakfast, too. I never believed I could omit meat and dairy--but now I believe I could. I do not think I would thrive though. *I think I would do best long-term on the Crete diet.

My views are this: I believe that there are a number of dietary lifestyles that are healthy, not just one. I think to some extent it has to do with one's body, the bio-chemistry of it, and also what one can live with.

Some people even think there is a genetic component, having to do with ethnicity and our geographical origins. They argue that our people came from a specific place, with specific food cultures, partly based upon climate and availability. Those people think we should not steer far from our dietary heritage.

I know that on both sides of my family there is an emphasis on meat and potatoes, and on the paternal side sweets and breads (generations of bakers.) While I love salads, the foods I yearn for are those that are traditional for me.

Copabanana

High potassium foods *google: beans, dark leafy greens, potatoes, squash, yogurt, fish, avocados, mushrooms, and bananas. The current daily value for potassium is 3.5 grams.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Hi Copa, (and everyone!)

She told be about something called the China Study that had proven the life-extending properties of this lifestyle.

You might be interested in a Documentary which stars the Dr. who wrote the China Study. It's called Forks over knives. It's the documentary my husband watched which convinced him to give the plant based diet a try. The 2 Dr's who are in the documentary both have sons who also did documentaries about food and health. I've watched them all, they are all very informative. I've always been kind of a health "nut" but my husband hasn't been and his transition to this way of eating has been a miracle of sorts. I believe it's because he feels so good and truthfully, looks good too!

I believe that there are a number of dietary lifestyles that are healthy, not just one. I think to some extent it has to do with one's body, the bio-chemistry of it, and also what one can live with.

I completely agree.

I have an extremely sensitive system, I have a number of allergies and food sensitivities, certain foods that everyone can eat, upset my stomach, or I have a histamine response..... so I've always had to be somewhat careful with what I eat. I worked with a nutritionalist when I was 39 and he told me all those years ago I would do best with a plant based diet, but I was just not in a place to make that kind of a change. I am now and I can see the difference in how my whole system is just screaming, "THANK YOU.......FINALLY!"

They argue that our people came from a specific place, with specific food cultures, partly based upon climate and availability.

My parents were from 2 different cultures, one cold and one tropical, my Mom made heavy foods like sauerbraten and dumplings and my Dad made lighter meals, with shrimp, fish and a lot of rice.......I grew up enjoying both, but although I loved my mothers cooking, I fared better with my Dad's. As I got older, I developed so many food allergies, for awhile, I was pretty sick.......I worked with a lot of different healers and I had to adjust my diet throughout the years, little by little.......trying many different diets and many different ways of looking at food........and I now think this is the best one for me. But I certainly don't believe it is for everyone......we each have to be responsible for our health and well being and find our own way.

Although I have an enormous sweet tooth, sugar is not my friend. I could actually see my face get swollen (inflammation) when I would go on a sugar binge (chocolate mostly) and that really bummed me out. When I was younger I didn't have that kind of reaction, but I think it's accumulative. Now I don't crave sugar and I'm never really hungry.....I eat half as much as I used to and I exercise twice as much. At 66 years old, I don't just want to live a long life, I want to live a healthy life. At this point, my husband and I are not on any medications at all, we are both in excellent health and my belief is that we have to actively work at that with diet and exercise......attitude, laughter, rest, relaxation, fun, and as free of worry as we can muster.

It takes up a good part of my day now.....finding recipes, shopping for food, growing some veggies, doing research, reading about health, working out, hiking, meditating, doing yoga.......geez, it's now my full time job!

Last edited:

KTMom91

I'm here!

Did pretty well on my eating today - no snacking, just meals.

I found some sweet potato tots at Sprouts, and they are SO GOOD! We had those tonight with basic hamburgers.

Copabanana

sweet potato tots at Sprouts, and they are SO GOOD! We had those tonight with basic hamburgers.
Hi KT. Glad you are here. I love a dinner like yours tonight.
I don't just want to live a long life, I want to live a healthy life.
I admire your commitment. I do too but one, I am just getting any control over myself and life--by that I mean, making myself do the basics. And while the basics should be taking care of health...I am once again putting work ahead.

Because it was the work (my attitude toward it and self-care) that got me this fat to begin with. Before I went back to work the last time I weighed 50 pounds less than I do today. I just seem unable to walk and chew gum at the same time.
geez, it's now my full time job!
As it should be, if one thinks about it. Food, preparing it, growing it was our full-time job until very recently in human history, was it not? It is just now that you are able restoring proper balance.

I am thinking now of the slow food movement. I got interested about 8 years ago, and never committed myself to it.

Somehow with this stint of working I have to hang onto myself. Working in prisons is really toxic to me. I love parts of it, but I seem unable to be healthy in relation to it. I have gotten myself into a mess with money, and see myself working until the missing money is restored. M is shaking his head. I think he feels ambivalent about this choice for me. He says, he worries if I can do it. I think it is more, he worries if I should.

I am glad I have you guys so that I can verbalize this stuff, so that even I have to pay attention.

For now I will go ahead. I have made a verbal commitment of 6 months, or at least said I saw no obstacles to completing 6 months, but nobody knows the future. So that is not really a commitment. It was an intention with an out. But if I could do the 6 months it would put me in a stronger position, money wise and I think emotionally as well. I will see that I am back and I can do it. I can decide from a position of strength to do something else. The groundwork has already been laid.

Thank you for "listening" to me. All of you (and those who are missed) sleep tight and a good and safe day tomorrow.

Last edited:

TheWalrus

I Am The Walrus
There was a study on artificial sweeteners and they actually make it harder to lose weight even though they have no calories. I switched to Stevia. More expensive but more natural and better for you than aspartame. It is sweeter so it doesn't take as much.

I love tea, too. Sweet iced tea. I make it half green half black tea with Stevia.

KTMom91

I drink iced tea all day every day. I've never liked it sweet. I don't like sodas, either. Guess I prefer to eat my sugar rather than drink it.

AppleCori

I'm still here!

Still working off that dreaded Blizzard, which wasn't really that great anyway.

We have been grilling out this week and eating salads--our usual nice weather dinners--so been doing pretty good this week, other than the Blizzard event.

Been working out and getting outside more this week, too.

Congrats on the new job, Copa!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Because it was the work (my attitude toward it and self-care) that got me this fat to begin with. Before I went back to work the last time I weighed 50 pounds less than I do today.

I understand this Copa. The last 2 years I was working were extremely stressful for me. Many factors contributed to that stress, however, my health, my diet, my well being seemed less important than simply coping, getting through some of the days. I couldn't get it together, I was using sugar as a way of self soothing. I love to bake so I was consuming a lot of brownies, cookies, homemade chocolate pudding........I looked forward to those as if I were addicted. I gained 20 pounds in 2 years. I'd never done that before.

Working in prisons is really toxic to me. I love parts of it, but I seem unable to be healthy in relation to it. I

How will you stay healthy in this environment? Do you have a plan?

Food, preparing it, growing it was our full-time job until very recently in human history, was it not? It is just now that you are able restoring proper balance.

Yes, I agree. It is only now, without work, without parenting, without so much responsibility that I can focus on my own needs and what it is I want. My former enabling of my daughter kept me immersed in her life for many years before I learned to let go.......... then there was the raising of my granddaughter, and on top of that, a stressful, very responsible job where I was the only employee, so my sense of duty was profound.

Balance is the perfect word Copa, you're right, now I am able to restore the proper balance. I think I have been searching for that balance for a very long time. This lifestyle change is something I'd thought about for a very long time, but was just not able to pull it off until now. I feel so grateful that I can put my energy into myself, it's been a long, hard battle to do so.

Last night I spent hours researching recipes. I feel excited to be doing this now.......putting my entire focus on health. We've been at it for about 3 months now so it's already become a habit. And, I've lost 15 pounds!

I am glad I have you guys so that I can verbalize this stuff, so that even I have to pay attention.

I agree. It's important and it helps keep us accountable and real.

More expensive but more natural and better for you than aspartame.

Walrus, I'm glad you switched to Stevia, I've read quite a bit about how bad aspartame is for you.

I love tea, too. Sweet iced tea.

I love iced tea too, but usually drink it unsweetened, except when in the south.....I don't know how they make it, but Southern sweet tea is delicious. Likely full of something I don't want to know about, but it is different than anywhere else and soooooooo good! When at home, I just drink green tea and water, nothing else.

Still working off that dreaded Blizzard, which wasn't really that great anyway.

I had to laugh, AC, when I was eating so much chocolate, I used go try to calculate how much I would have to hike to get that brownie off.......it was a bit depressing!

Copabanana

Checking in before turning off the computer. Not so great today. Was OK until dinner. Steak and banana bread!! Did not weigh myself. Thought I should lighten up (no pun intended on myself.) Except regretting it.

Bye. Sleep tight everybody.

Copabanana

Good day, people (morning, afternoon or evening)

Not so good yesterday. Fasting most of the day, with the idea of eating a healthy dinner of greek salad and steak, making a banana bread for M.

Son showed up. I ate the steak and the banana bread.

Still on track. Will try to keep on track today. Weaning myself off of morning coffee, so as to break my Spenda habit.

Copabanana

How will you stay healthy in this environment? Do you have a plan?
RE is asking me here about my plan for self-care (actually to avoid abandoning myself completely) when I return to work in 2 weeks to prison.

Actually, no. I am panic stricken. If I had thought about this better--from a position of actually caring for myself, wanting to protect myself, wanting to ensure my well-being, I would have achieved health and healthy patterns, first.

Instead I did this (submitted the application) from a mindset of desperation (unnecessary)--the sense that there was and would be total catastrophe if I did not return to work. Yes. I have depleted resources, not working--and not thinking pro-actively. Yes. The expenses of repair to properties, has been huge. Materials, and employing 2 men. But the wolves were not yet at the door.

I am stressing here that I am living (still) out of a poverty mindset. And more. I am living from a self-brutalizing mindset. While I would never in a million years treat any other person this way, I treat myself as an inadequate, lazy, shirking, nothing who has to get into shape. I take the eyes and the viewpoint of the harshest boss and critic, in anticipating how I will be seen.

Instead of taking my own point of view, as responsible for caring for and protecting myself.

How it has manifested in the last few days is this: telling myself by the time I start, in 2 weeks, I have to be able to easily walk ten thousand steps daily in the heat... Panicking that they will see that I pant sometimes (mild Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) was diagnosed last year); don't see good (get those new glasses); lose five percent of my weight!!! Have adjusted to getting up at five (going to bed at 9).

Already I am worried about being treated mean by co-workers.

The problem is: In my own mind much of the time I do not take my own side. I come to see myself as they may: Fat and sick and old (and slightly ditzy and vulnerable--OK. This is really cruel, and really looking at myself as prey. I am feminine. Not ditzy, because ditzy, I just looked up, meaning harebrained and stupid and foolish. I am none of those things. Only human. See how this gets out of control?).

You see, I inspire envy and I inspire contempt. (But in fairness, where does the contempt come from--is it about me or somebody else?) What are my crimes?

I feel and show compassion where there is little.
I travel to my own drum.
I am unpretentious and in some ways, humble.

Those have been central choices of my life. Not in rebellion, but with purpose. (Oh, how I am beginning to regret this choice (in some ways) to go back to prison. Is this what M was afraid of, or did he want to begin caring for myself, by working for myself where I could have more protection, control, and potentially esteem and care (by my own self)?

Can I not feel compassion for myself (even in a cruel setting)?

If I decided to embrace myself now to prepare to return to work (this idea the gift from RE) it would have to begin with a different (radically different) mindset towards myself.

First, I would slow down now. (The only things that must be done are the TB test, buy a few clothes and a bit of makeup, and get eyeglasses.)

These things are optional: practice driving to the prison; practice getting up at 5 am. Because once that day comes I will get a grip. I have before and I will again. (I do not have Alzheimer's yet. Am I buying into this ageist thing? )

As far as wheezing, I may wheeze. (I do not hear myself.) And I may find the distances to walk in the heat, difficult, at first.

I can choose to stop. Or I can treat myself kindly. With patience. I can stay centered in myself. Looking out for myself, reassuring myself. I do not have to abandon myself. I do not have to beat myself up.

I can learn this.

Prisons are some of the most cruel places in the world. I have been treated very, very cruelly in the past (by staff). I do not have to tolerate it. I have nothing to prove. I can speak up for myself and I can leave, or stay as I choose.

I can choose for myself.

Last edited:

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Can I not feel that compassion for myself?

Reading your post brought tears to my eyes Copa. It's too bad you can't see yourself through the eyes of this board.....then your self compassion would rule.....

Many years ago I had a wonderful therapist, his name was David......in one session when I was talking about myself in my usual way, I looked up and he had tears in his eyes. I asked him about it and he said, "you are so cruel to yourself, I wish you could see yourself through my eyes."

Those tears he shed for me moved me deeply. The kindness he showed me, I could not show myself at that point......but the memory stayed and as the years went by, that moment kept coming back to me, it became something I held onto.....I wanted so much to feel that compassion for myself.

Fast forward to that codependency course I took a couple of years ago. I learned to take care of me in a way I hadn't understood before. I learned to put myself first. My daughter was the catalyst for that change. I believe in karma and I believe she and I had things to work out, the biggest for me was to let go of her and focus on me. She gave me a gift.

That gift kept growing in all areas of my life. What was happening is that I began seeing myself as David had seen me all those years ago........little by little.....small choice by small choice......one step at a time.....

I saw it at work. I had many of the feelings you just expressed in the work place. It began to change. I perceived things differently and responded differently and those around me responded differently too. I was not looking through the eyes of my old self, who had abandoned myself, I was looking through the eyes of someone who felt the same compassion for myself that I had always shown to others. It changed everything Copa. Everything.

And, it began with my daughter. It began with letting her go into her own destiny and seeing my own intrinsic value. Not the value placed on me by my family or society or anything else.....my own self worth.

Your weight, your eyes, your breathing, your age, they are not who you are. Who you are is someone who oozes love, caring, intelligence, wisdom, beauty, grace, empathy and compassion for others.......that is who you are.

TheWalrus

I Am The Walrus
I think after so long of guilt, obligation, hopelessness, people can sometimes slip into habits of targeting themselves. That, "I can't do anything right," mindset. You are being completely unfair to yourself. You are only viewing negatives and dismissing any positives. Confidence and love for yourself is so, so important. You can't take care of anyone else if you don't take care of yourself. I don't have insecurity and never have. I do, however, get a little social anxiety (mild) from time to time. My approach is the, "Never let them see you sweat approach." I fake it until I make it, and it eventually subsides. But I do not ever let anyone intimidate me or make me feel inferior. I may feel like a caged animal on the inside, but it is always cool cucumber on the outside. Then I torment myself replaying it in my head over and over in the privacy of my own home. LOL

People do all kinds of journals - gratitude, prayers, venting their woes, blessings, etc - perhaps you should do a positives journal. Keep a list of your positives. Make it a habit to write in it and read back over it each day. Train your mind to see the good in yourself, change your focus away from the negatives. Just a thought.

TheWalrus

I Am The Walrus
P.S. NEVER weigh at night. That is your weight plus all of your food and liquid intake for the day. Weigh in the morning before you eat or drink anything. I do it naked so I don't weigh my clothes. :laugh: