Is Beta OK?

Crayola13

Somebody needs to instant message Beta to make sure she's safe. I don't know how to instant message her. After what happened in my town, I guess I'm a little concerned that we haven't heard from her in 2-3 days. She mentioned her other son would be in town, so maybe she's just busy.

Beta

Hey! So sorry--really busy weekend and now at work, trying to catch up to a backlog of work. I am touched by the concern!

Things are stable so far. He's had a few moments when he has gotten testy with me or my husband, but he seems to calm down reasonably ok and seems to be making some effort (cleans up after himself in the kitchen, bathroom, keeps his bedroom neat, and has expressed a desire to try to find a seasonal job before we move). We've had a few actually pleasant conversations with him on just normal topics.

So...we are taking it one day at a time. Our first goals is to try to get a DL for him. He needs his eyes examined and contacts, and we don't think he'll pass the vision test without that, but we can't afford to do the exam/contacts right now. We'll just give it a try and maybe he will, by some miracle, pass the exam. He is supposed to apply online for a seasonal job in our town today.

I'll keep posting, and again, I'm so sorry if I caused any concern to you all. You are all my lifeline in this craziness (apart from God, of course!)

Crayola13

I'm relieved you're OK. I remember some of the threats he made a few months ago, but it sounds like he's calmed down to a large degree. I'm certainly glad.

As for getting an eye exam and glasses, we have a medical service that does things like that free of charge about three times a year. I don't know if your city offers a service like this.

Deni D

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Staff member
Beta I'm a bit anxious for you too. I'm wondering if your son will accept starting to see a counselor.

Crayola13

Thanks Crayola. That's something to check into that I hadn't thought about.
The other option would be Target where the exam is $55. After getting the prescription, get on Amazon and see how cheap you can get contacts. Even if he has an astigmatism, a box of six pair for each eye is $25.

newstart

Hey! So sorry--really busy weekend and now at work, trying to catch up to a backlog of work. I am touched by the concern!

Things are stable so far. He's had a few moments when he has gotten testy with me or my husband, but he seems to calm down reasonably ok and seems to be making some effort (cleans up after himself in the kitchen, bathroom, keeps his bedroom neat, and has expressed a desire to try to find a seasonal job before we move). We've had a few actually pleasant conversations with him on just normal topics.

So...we are taking it one day at a time. Our first goals is to try to get a DL for him. He needs his eyes examined and contacts, and we don't think he'll pass the vision test without that, but we can't afford to do the exam/contacts right now. We'll just give it a try and maybe he will, by some miracle, pass the exam. He is supposed to apply online for a seasonal job in our town today.

I'll keep posting, and again, I'm so sorry if I caused any concern to you all. You are all my lifeline in this craziness (apart from God, of course!)

So glad you checked in Beta because I was worried too. Your situation sounds promising. Thank you God.

AppleCori

Would your son qualify for state insurance or medicaid? You might check into it online. It would probably include eye exam/glasses if he qualifies, along with dental and healthcare.