Is your home organized and comfortable?

Nomad

Staff member
I had a salt and pepper set of my mother’s I gave to a friend. I regretted it and embarrassingly asked for it back.

So...I understand.

In my case, i think it’s mostly because I don’t have too much belonging to my mom. We were close and she died so young.

Pictures are helpful. I would not part with them.

That Salt and pepper set might be the only time I regretted something like this. Sooo, I do think more thought and care needs to be put into these things passed down.

But overall...generally...I find culling stuff in the end a great feeling.

This thread prompted me to go into my closet and I found three items I haven’t worn in perhaps close to two years and I just do t see myself wearing. They are in the Goodwill box now. It feels great.

Elsi

If I lose my memories, will the ‘stuff’ really make a difference? And if there were not enough good memories to begin with, will the ‘stuff’ make up for it? Or will it just sit there as a painful reminder of what I never really had?

My cousins are very sentimental about my great grandmothers things they have. She was a witch to me and no amount of her stuff is going to change that. I frankly don’t want any of her stuff here reminding me. I still say lose the baggage - emotional and physical - and keep only the things that truly bring you joy.

AppleCori

Copa,

I would recommend not going through sentimental items until you have gone through everything else.

Why not start with the easy stuff?

There are things I won’t get rid of because of its sentimental value to me. We all have to make those decisions for ourselves in the end.

At some point, you will feel empowered to get rid of some of it and feel no guilt about keeping the rest.

Start where you feel comfortable now, and work your way, eventually, to the rest. Don’t worry about it right now.

This process should make you feel good, not bad.

ksm

If there are items that are sentimental, yet, because of size or circumstance, not feasible to keep, take photos and make a scrapbook. Then journal about the item and the memories it holds. The stories are the main things!

I have a metal snuff can that belonged to my grandma, my dads well worn bible, an odd cookie cutter with six sides...each side a different shape for different holidays. I have some letters. But I do have items I Ned to pass on or give away, but my son wouldn't be interested in those things. And my two DGDs are couch surfing and basically homeless. Ksm

BusynMember

Copa... Lots of us have no memories or no good memories of certain people that most people do. I got very angry at most of my family in my 30s sometime. My Dad had taken a ton of pictures because he liked to .They had my baby pictures in it and my few relatives.
I took some pictures of my grandma and me out of the album (remember when they had them?) I tossed the rest of the album in the trash. When my mom passed I wasnt offered anything. I have nothing of her, not even a photo, which mirrored our relationship. I did get my dad's car but that was it. I dont miss pictures of people I dont have memories of.

I do however have memories I have trouble getting rid of. I have everything (exaggeration but not much) that my kids gave me starting in toddlerhood and even have locks of hair. They are in boxes in my basement. Obviously clutter. Also I put family pictures all over the walls and cabinets. Dont forget the dogs! Their pictures are on the walls too!

We left a lot of junk behind when we moved, but the house would look less cluttered if I can just put away some of the pictures. Some are when the kids were babies. What do all of you about family pictures? Do you just display the newest pictures and put the older ones away? I do feel warm and fuzzy with my kid/dogs pictures surrounding me. But I just have too many up anyway.

Last edited:

Elsi

an odd cookie cutter with six sides...each side a different shape for different holidays

I have one of these that was my grandmother’s! They aren’t different holidays, though - just basic shapes (heart, star, diamond, spade, club, and moon). You roll it to make a line of cut out cookies of different shapes! I also have her tin of biscuit cutters. Those things mean something to me because I use them (well, not often with my low carb diet, but sometimes), and they remind me of baking with her.

What do all of you about family pictures? Do you just display the newest pictures and put the older ones away?

Yes. Though my pictures are growing, because there are some old ones I don’t want to ever put away, of those I have lost. And then new ones as the family grows. I have an album specifically for former ‘display’ photos that have moved out of rotation.

That is the ONE thing I regret losing when I left my husband. I only had time to grab a few special photos and E’s baby album. I don’t have many photos of the kids growing up. But I treasure the ones I do have.

Nomad

Staff member
Re storage units.
Be very careful.
My thought is set a boundary.
Perhaps good for a very temporary situation, like a move.
Or if one has a lot of large items if sentimental items, I would limit it to ONE small to medium one.
Limits and boundaries can be your friends.
I have two friends who got multiple storage units years ago. They have never visited them in 7-10 years. Never culled. Never reduced the amount of units. Never anything. They just pay the monthly bill on multiple units and might do so until they can’t afford it anymore Or die.

Tired out

WOW. I just saw this thread.
Yesterday when I started taking down my Christmas decorations I decided that this time I am organizing and clearing out. I am bringing down all the boxes of Christmas out of the attic I didn't use. Sorting. Purging.

Lil

I walked away and started my life over with almost nothing.

I have to say, that's starting to sound good, when it comes to "stuff" at least. Not starting your life over, but the idea of being free of "things". I think that's part of wanting to do the RV thing. We're free of the kid - he's in another state and on his own. We'll be free of our pets - we love them, but they won't live another 5 years. We'll be free of the house that we no longer enjoy living in. I want to be free of "stuff".

But you're right. I'm overwhelmed. It's gone on so long I don't know what to do with it all. I've been to the FlyLady website years ago. It always seemed to be geared toward people who's lives were more in control than mine...People who just needed to plan out their cleaning routine, not conquer a house that was out of control. Maybe it's evolved since then.

What if there are no memories? Or not enough? And there will never be more. And there is only stuff.

This whole conversation on the sentimental items is important to me. I do have a lot of things I haven't been able to even consider parting with. I have depression glass and fancy little dishes that were my mom's. She loved them. They sit gathering dust along with the lovely, delicate, antique cut-crystal glasses she bought me from some auction. I love them. I NEVER use them! They don't suit my lifestyle. Neither does the china I began collecting in college and continued to buy pieces for until about 15 years ago. I'm not even terribly fond of the pattern anymore. But I hate to part with it. So it sits in a drawer alternating with the Christmas china a friend bought me a few years back. Which is never, ever used. We don't host fancy dinner parties - or any at all. If we do have people over - it's more paper plates on the patio or my Corelle dishes at the most!

I have this lovely set of Santa's reindeer dishes that belonged to my best friend's mom. 8 plates, each with a cartoon deer - Dasher, Prancer, etc. I can't imagine parting with them. But I don't even display them. Jabber has some (really very unattractive) quilts his grandma made. Just because they aren't something we'd never use, doesn't mean he wants to get rid of them. I have a wool blanket that my mother was given that has her name embroidered on it. There's so many more things.

But I do have items I need to pass on or give away, but my son wouldn't be interested in those things.

This is a real problem. I have all these things, but my son never even met these people. He has no memory of them. He would place no value in them just because I do. I keep hoping that he gets married and his wife wants some of them.

It just seems so wrong, that there should be so few people in the world who remember and loved my parents. Okay...made myself teary with that one.

I would recommend not going through sentimental items until you have gone through everything else.

All in all, this sounds like the best option. LOL

When Jabber and I finally do our serious downsizing, we do actually have a bit of a plan. We will move some furniture to the cabin, which will be our "home base", but it's only 12x28. So there's not a lot that will fit. We don't know how long we'll really be full-time RV people, but we do know that renting a storage shed is cheaper than buying new furniture, so we'll keep at least some of our better things . Then if we decide we need to rent or buy a house in a year or two, we already have furniture and we'll have a place then for some of the sentimental items while we travel.

Nomad

Staff member
Food for thought...
I have friends that moved around the same time we did.

We did a garage sale, a small estate sale and donated a lot of stuff to charity. It was eye opening and hard as heck.

It opened my eyes to being more careful re purchases, the need for ongoing organizing etc. No lie, I may have had 100 pairs of underwear. WTH?

Anyway, my friend didn’t do any of that. She has a storage unit now. New house with a garage packed to the ceiling, a patio with multiple table and chairs that don’t match etc. Overstuffed closets and lots of stress. They were afraid they would lose money or something. They didn’t even try to get rid of the obvious stuff you don’t need. Clothes you have worn in five years. Furniture stuck in the garage for a decade! Why? This is a waste of space and in the end, a burden.

Now, they are starting off with this huge burden.

But she is determined to get rid of it. I have mixed feelings about it, but she is using our house as an example for him.

It is soooo freeing to get rid of the clutter. The house tends to look prettier and your mind tends to be more fresh/sharper as well.

BusynMember

Copa...anyone else....have you read about minimalism?

I spent a lot of time a few years ago swearing to do this, especially when we thought of living just in our RV. And our home we bought is two bedrooms and small and we DID throw away/give away ALOT when we moved there from our apartment.

Although I am not at minimalism and may never be I love the concept of a clear and airy home with few posessions and I am embracing lots of it. If I see a cute doo dad these days I can pass it up. I highly recommend reading about minimalism.

It is easy to get attached to things that are reminders of those we love. And getting rid of even a picture of my foster baby who was with us 22 years ago is like throwing HER away!

Last edited:

Lil

We did a garage sale, a small estate sale and donated a lot of stuff to charity. It was eye opening and hard as heck...

Anyway, my friend didn’t do any of that.

We did a garage sale when we moved from our 2 bedroom, 1 bath, 1 car garage apartment to our house with 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, 2 car garage with a family room/living room/dining room and office! The house is more than twice as large - and we still got rid of some stuff. But, that was 18 years ago and we accumulated more - much more.

There are also boxes packed away I know I haven't opened in 18 years. Moved them taped shut and never opened them. :rolleyes: THAT is something I'm going to HAVE to get rid of. Sad thing is, some are my mom's photos. Sure, there's some of my parents and I can keep those. But there are so many that are people who were important to my mom...and I don't even know their names.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
We have lived in 5 houses since we have been married - 27 years. Three of them we built ourselves and the one we are in now we bought when under roof.

Each time we moved we got rid of tons of stuff. But nothing like this time. I moved across the country. I was not about to move anything that I did not love. My company gave me a lump sum to move. I knew whatever we did not spend on our move was ours to keep or do what we wanted with.

This was a blessing. I gave a lot of furniture to our kids, sold a lot and gave a ton of stuff to Goodwill. Some went to the curb.

Even so, the move cost $11k (they packed us too) and when we got here we still got rid of more stuff. I had run out of steam I guess. I got rid of all my "red" and now my color is "blue" since we live on the coast. I still am getting rid of stuff - clothes and shoes mainly.

I'm with all of you. Sick of all the CRAP and I probably don't have as much as most since we have been purging always. It really is freeing so keep at it!!

Copabanana

I wanted to check in. To tell you I'm thinking a lot about this thread. But I am typing on my cell and my finger hurts. So brief. I will buy a computer very soon.

Inspired by you I am working on pictutes. I just learned to upload a photo and here it is. Our Stella thinks any (new) surface in the house is a new bed. For her. And here she is. Understanding she is the centerpiece of all. I call this:
1546117128890540794935.jpg
Where's Stella?

Copabanana

Stella says "thank you swot and nomad."

I say this: she is not a classic nor is she a perfect beauty. (She is cross eyed and is missing many teeth.) She is a Siamese mix. And I feel, very, very beautiful. Oh how we love her