It’s been awhile but I’m back

Enmeshedmom

So I took some time off from my sons problems back in January when he did the unthinkable and moved in with his addict father. It lasted only a month and ended about the way I figured it would and he came home. He was working but still smoking a lot of pot and being disrespectful. Well fast forward to the end of March beginning of April he decided to experiment with lsd.... he did it 3 times, the first time I know nothing about the second time he called me to come and get him and the 3 time was horrible, he was having very scary hallucinations and crying. Since then he has quit smoking pot and says he will never touch lsd again. He is also being very respectful at home. The odd part is that now he is reading scripture all the time and saying he is now Christian. While I’m not opposed to him finding faith I am a little worried that he is having some sort of mental health issue from the lsd. Has anyone else experienced anything similar with a loved one?

elizabrary

I have not, but a friend of my brother's had a similar reaction when he overdosed on angel dust some years ago. When he came out of the overdose he became extremely religious, almost obsessively. He was diagnosed with a form of drug-induced psychosis. He never came out of it. I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm sure it's worrisome.

Enmeshedmom

Thanks for your response. I’m not sure if it is drug induced psychosis or just another obsession to take the place of his obsession with pot. I believe he has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and has for a long time, along with the frequent hand washing and double closing doors he also gets obsessed with subjects and trying to learn everything there is to know about them. I suggested he see the doctor about maybe trying an ssri for his anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and he said absolutely not. I really wish I would have done more when he was younger to try and sort out his issues but when I brought them up to the pediatrician and then our family doctor nobody ever thought there was a reason for concern. I don’t feel that I did a very good job advocating for him. I’m hopeful that this may just be a phase.

Enmeshedmom

He seems to be leveling off a bit, acting more normal (for him anyway). Still says he is born again Christian, which is fine. He doesn’t appear to be using drugs, isn’t acting sneaky and has been a lot more pleasant to be around. It’s nice and at the same time unnerving because I don’t know if it will last.

Enmeshedmom

I don’t know what to do anymore. He is acting really strange again and I told him again this morning that I think he needs to seek professional help. He said that he will see somebody but I’m not sure if it’s just to shut me up. I’m so worried about him.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I'm sorry Enmeshed. What is he doing specifically?

Maybe others can offer something if we know what you mean.

Enmeshedmom

Well he is talking and acting strange. He just came home from work early and said that they hired someone else and he left. I’m sure it is because of his behavior. He only wants to talk about religion and he just isn’t himself. He applied to a place he use to work at before he came home. I’m not sure if they will hire him back or not. He said he will talk to someone if I make the appointment and take him there so I guess I will try it

RN0441

Yes I think that would be a good idea. See if they can diagnose something. Not sure what else you can do at this point because you really don't know what you are dealing with.

Hugs because I know how hard this is!!

Enmeshedmom

Well there is a new twist to this story. My son has been talking to a local farmer in our area about god and the Bible, they are devout Christians. I decided to go there and speak with him because I have been so worried about my son. It all makes sense now, this man has my son convinced that he has demons directing him and a whole lot of other nonsense. He told me that my son does not need therapy or anything else that a doctor could offer him. I resisted the urge to tell him off because I knew my son would go back there and he did today. We had a normal couple days where he seemed to be getting back to himself and then he goes there and he comes home acting strange. I told him tonight what I thought in as nice a way as I could. He is really struggling spiritually and needs someone to talk to about that as well as other things but this guy and his wife seem to be trying to brain wash him. They were trying to convert me the second I walked in. I think after the experience with the lsd it made him just vulnerable enough to be easily convinced of almost anything.... except of course if it comes from me. He made a mistake tonight and asked a married women what she was doing later because he didn’t know she was married and that’s what made him feel so bad that he had to consult this guy. I tried to tell him that it was a simple mistake but he seems to think that he did something so wrong.

Copabanana

Hi Enmeshed Mom

All of this sounds so much like my own son who is older (30) but struggling, still.

He searches out and responds to spiritual content. I think he's trying to come to grips with his psyche and where he fits in life and in the scheme of things, with good and evil, and who and what controls us. In my mind 90 percent of it is whacky and it scares me If I say something he does not like he denounces me spiritually calling me evil and possessed and all kinds of other things. He denounces my religion in ways that hurt me.

So what I am trying to say is that I get how this must feel, how scary it is. I get how your son gets overcome by shame for simple mistakes. And how this is so painful.

I think it really is all about enmeshment on our part. I think your son is himself. And you are you. I think you and me get too much in their heads. Their heads become our heads. Our heads become colonized by them, their distress, their moods, their missteps. NO GOOD.

I think our sons in their way are trying to learn how to live and to work things out. As far as I am concerned my son is off the deep end. But where do I get a vote?

I understand the deep, deep worry. I live it. I understand how it feels that this does not get better. It just keeps spiraling around and around.

The only way out of this is to step out of their spiral. To not be sucked into that tornado. And if we are sucked in, to get OUT. Think of the Wizard of Oz and what happened to Dorothy. That's us.

We can go home to Kansas. We are Kansas. We can leave Oz.

Last edited:

RN0441

I agree that people can go overboard and get wacky with the religion stuff and I hate when evil doers use their twisted view of their religion to back up their insanity.

I do so believe in God and that he truly can heal the addictions that many suffer from. I know that he has acted in my life and that of my son and there are so many things that have happened that are not a coincidence.

I also believe there is a Devil and there is good and evil and it really is that simple. I didn't used to see that but now I see it clearly. I know that my son's addiction was evil at work and saw it firsthand.

I do hope that your son is not influenced by someone that intends him ill will rather than having his best interest at heart. But at least the man isn't feeding him drugs which is a good thing.

Crayola13

Time will tell.

A lot of people get involved in religion because it feels like a good decision at the time. As months and years go by, they learn that they weren't really serious about it, and that it was just a phase. But, some people continue to make religion a big priority in their lives, and it can help some stay off drugs.

Personally, I believe that someone can be tormented by a demon. However, I don't believe all illness and tragedy is caused by the devil. If your son wants to join a Pentacostal church where people cast out demons, maybe it would work. I believe God can heal a person's addiction completely, and maybe some people don't need rehab or counseling. For those who need rehab or counseling, God makes it possible for us to have those resources to help with addiction.

Enmeshedmom

Thank everyone for the replies. I agree on some level with each one of you. He told me yesterday that he is trying to grow up and I think that sat with me while I slept last night. He is fighting his way to becoming the kind of man he wants to be and I think that is not a bad thing. And I’m all for him finding faith even if it is different from what I believe but it seems like every time he goes and talks with this man he comes home so uncomfortable and anxious. He left at 6:30 this morning upset with me because I wasn’t giving him enough space so as much as I want to I’m resisting the urge to check up on him. It’s just so hard

Enmeshedmom

Just came back to read some of my old posts. Just over a year since this last one and I am happy to say that this phase passed. He did go back to smoking a lot of pot after unfortunately but today he has been smoke free for almost two months and has an appointment to meet with someone from the coast guard on Thursday. This time he quit because he wanted to quit, not because of me or the Bible. There is hope.

RN0441

That is great news! How did meeting with Coast Guard go? Are you near the coast? I wanted my son to join but he is in college so it's okay that he isn't. I think it will be a great experience!

Enmeshedmom

He has taken his Asvab and scored a 92 out of 99 and will go to meps a week from today, that is when he will have his physical and if everything goes well he will be sworn in. We live on the coast in Maine.

Copabanana

I am thrilled for both of you about this wonderful turn of events that your son has chosen. What could be better than the Coast Guard in Maine? I can't think of much. I am so glad for him and for you. This is just fantastic. Please, please let us know when he is sworn in and let us be part of this story. I am so gratefu that you posted.