"It's all about you isn't it!?"...

T

TeDo

I was helping (TRYING to help) difficult child 1 with school work today (most of you know the history here). He was putzing around a lot and to not cause a meltdown, I decided to let natural consequences go to work. We had to leave BY 3:00 to do Christmas with some family friends. At noon, I asked him when he planned to get to work so he could go with us at 3:00. He said he could always do some tomorrow. I showed him the family calendar on the wall to remind him he has Occupational Therapist (OT) and Speech tomorrow morning PLUS the school work that is scheduled for tomorrow will need to be done in the afternoon. Because I am his "1:1 para", I reminded him that I work during SCHOOL hours. "I will be available until 2:30 today and again from 11:00-3:00 tomorrow. I will NOT help you outside those hours."

His reply........"It's all about you isn't it!" with a totally incredulous look on his face. I bit my tongue trying NOT to reply at all because he would have turned it into an argument.

FINALLY...... It IS all about me!!!! LOL

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Aren't they precious?

I think I'd have said, "No, it is not all about me, because if it were, I would not be available to help you AT ALL. In fact, we wouldn't even be having this conversation!"

susiestar

Roll With It
Love it!!! Did you agree with him? I tend to do that and it drives my kids up a wall. Which I find entertaining. Small of me, I know. But in my opinion they are funny to watch when they freak out. Esp if you can stay detached and not get pulled into it.

T

TeDo

I could tell he was in one of those argumentative moods so I kept ALL further comments to myself.

Susiestar, I DEFINITELY gave that one a thought!

Hound, doing that was VERY tempting.

gcvmom, what I wanted to say REALLY bad was "No, if it was all about me, I would have a JOB instead of staying home to help YOU do YOUR work!!!!"

S

Signorina

What is it with these boys. Sigh, my difficult child too. Thinks my world centers on him & my life's work is to control him. I think it's an ego thing.

Really? My goal is to keep him somewhat on track so that at 22 with a bachelors degree he can launch himself and get the heck outta my home and my head!!!! And then-maybe then- my life can become at least somewhat about me.

buddy

Famous Q sayings:

"So is that why you did that, because YOU want me to suffer??"

"I think you should just give it up because I deserve another chance"

"the only reason I am acting this way is because you said we could not do..." (not the only reason we can not do X is because you are acting this way..., ugg)

Yes, they are so egocentric that everything we think or say or do is designed to make THEIR world positive or negative. That is why I think, I am either devil mom or the best mom in the world, not just a normal mom.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
His reply........"It's all about you isn't it!" with a totally incredulous look on his face. I bit my tongue trying NOT to reply at all because he would have turned it into an argument.

FINALLY...... It IS all about me!!!! LOL

Oh yes - I think biting your tongue was the best thing you could do at that point!

Last time my difficult child accused me of trying to get her life to go MY way - I lost it. (Not one of my better moments...I'll admit.) Yes - I have completely re-arranged my schedule, my life and my world around difficult child is because that was my plan all along. UGH!