Jackson...surgery could cure him

BusynMember

Jax spent Thursday at the vet all day sedated, getting xrays. They had to sedate him because he had to be placed in some uncomfortable positions. Makes me cry.

So he has a antlantoaxial subluxation of some bones in his neck.

Right. What??? Thats what we said.

The bones are not right and this causes weakness in some or all limbs and can cause paralysis. Jax can walk but his back legs wobble.

Next step is University of Wisconsin Veternary teaching hospital for an MRI. The spine doesnt show up on xrays. I didnt know that either.

After that there are two choices. Non Invasive and surgery. Non invasive does not sound very hopeful and has a huge relapse rate. Surgery helps 90 percent of the time.

We go with the odds.

But we are jumping ahead. He has an appointment set for next week and then we will know more.

All three dogs are now doing well at home.

Lil

I'm glad your dogs are doing good together now. Bringing in a new dog just sometimes takes time...or so I understand. Never done it myself.

Jackson is a very lucky little dog to have found you. Not many would take in a special needs doggy and pay for surgery to help him. :angel:

Lil

Yes, but you made it very clear that once he was yours, he was family and you'd do what you needed to.

Most folks, myself included, would not be so giving of themselves, knowing there could be trouble ahead.

BusynMember

We didnt expect this much trouble, but we never shied away from harder kids or animals. We adoped Sonic snd knew his birth mother took drugs while pregnant. We adopted older kids who are overlooked. We meant to help. We loved themtboth. And Goneboy at least has a better life than he could have had in Asia, even if he isnt around. Jumpers birth father is a drug addict and was in prison...she was a very worthwhile risk.

We are ok with a challenge because, the truth is, hub#2 and I like to do what we can to help. Doesnt always work well, but but we try. I am that person who can not pass up people holding homeless signs and I dont worry about if they are cheating me or not.

Hub doest do homeless signs unless I tell him I want to donate. He tries to distract me :)

I am a very flawed person but have a very big heart for those in need. And usually for anyone needing a hug. I love to hug.

However regarding Jackson we did not expect surgery and, no, we will not back out from going all the way. Thanks Lil ;)

Last edited: