Knock on wood

JKF

Im proud of my difficult child. I don't want to jinx anything (knock on wood) but he seems to be doing well out there on his own. He's still at the shelter but hopefully he'll be able to get some housing in the near future. He seems to be trying and sounds good. Our relationship also seems to be better. When he calls we actually talk and laugh instead of fight. He confides in me and I find myself listening and giving him advice without judgement. I think we're getting along so well because now he's calling the shots in his own life. And you know what? I'm perfectly fine with that. Is it the life I would have chosen for him? No - but its his life and all I can do is accept him for who he is and try to encourage him and love him as much as I can. I know there are still tough times ahead but in this moment he's doing ok and that makes me happier than anything!

buddy

Really great to hear he's ok and you're so comfortable with where things need to be for now. That has to be hard work but it's paying off. OK I knocked more wood for you!

JKF

Thanks ladies! I'm trying to find the good in this situation. I really think that he needed to find out certain things for himself. Before he felt he had no control over his situation and that caused him to rebel even more. Now that the situation is in his hands he seems much more calm about everything. There are times when I still get freaked out thinking about him out on his own, living in a shelter and not on any medications but I remind myself that it's his life - not mine - and that he needs to make his own mistakes in order to grow. Like I said - there are still tough times ahead but I'm slowly learning to let go of the things I can't control.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
{I'm slowly learning to let go of the things I can't control.}

That quote from you could be the mantra for most of us, if not all of us here JKF..................and you're learning that, which is just GREAT!