Lexapro solving easy child/difficult child 3's enuresis!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think we may be onto something! psychiatrist rx'd 5mg Lexapro for easy child/difficult child 3 because he thought that stress/anxiety was playing a role in her secondary enuresis that started about two years ago when her brother was very ill for several months. She's always been an anxious kid who holds everything in (she even had a palm tree phobia until she was about 6 or 7). psychiatrist thought she was so exhausted from her anxiety at the end of the day that she was sleeping too deeply to wake up to go to the bathroom like she used to be able to do.

Well, it's been one week on the Lexapro, and the past two nights she's either gotten up to relieve herself or simply woken up dry and made it to the bathroom in time! :woohoo:

I know it's only two consecutive nights, but that's more than she's been able to accomplish in the past two years on her own or even with DDAVP -- can't begin to express how excited I am at the prospect of this issue being resolved for her. She's already feeling better about herself and the thought of being able to go on sleepovers with her friends :smile:

Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone else is facing this problem.

Sara PA

I believe urinary retention may be a common side effect of antidepressants. Cymbalta was actually trialed for female urniary incontinence with the goal of getting FDA approval for that indication. I don't remember if approval was denied or the application was withdrawn when there was an increase in suicidal ideation among the subjects of the test.

So yes, antidepressants can help but don't forget they are antidepressants and forget to watch for the psychiatric adverse reactions.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sara -- we used to use imipramine for difficult child 1 for this, although his was a primary enuresis -- he had never been able to stay dry at night on his own (well, once in a blue moon if he was dehydrated!).

I am sensitive to mood changes in EVERYONE around here, so I'll be sure to watch her as time goes by. Maybe once her dad gets through his brain surgery and our life can resume some sense of normalcy (now that difficult child 1's disease is under control and difficult child 2 seems well on his way to being stabilized) -- whatever normal is!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Day 3 and counting! She proudly reported this morning she was dry again last night -- and had forgotten to use pullups! So great to see her smiling again!

:smile: