Lithium is really helping difficult child at the therapist

TerryJ2

difficult child's lithium has been increased to 300 mg in the a.m. and 300 in the p.m. It makes a huge difference to have him on lithium, and the increases are working well (no welts like we had with-the Seroquel). He is so much more articulate at the therapist's office. He hates to sit in front, which is part of his 504, and wouldn't tell us why, but yesterday at the therapist's ofc, he said that one kid made a comment about his handwriting, and one time in math he made a mistake when he answered a question aloud, so he feels like everyone is staring at him. Forever. And then he can't focus for the rest of the period. Or sometimes all day.
But it's a huge leap, because before, he would just yell "NO!" and start slamming doors and we knew that there was something he didn't like at school but we didn't know what, except that he liked to sit in back.
One step at a time ...

InsaneCdn

difficult child liked to sit at the back, too ... to avoid being bullied from behind.
Teachers wouldn't believe it was happening, until one kid started attacking from in FRONT of him...

If YOU are seeing that much difference with the medication change... what is difficult child seeing?!
(not that he can articulate that, necessarily, but... does he see the benefits?)

TerryJ2

Thank you.
Yes, he sees the change, but he hates the side effects. He really doesn't care about the weight gain; he's still in normal range. But he feels "Weird" in his body. Sort of floating. The feelings of sudden falling have passed, though.
I hate that he has to feel that, but all drugs have side effects. It's a matter of risk/benefit ratio plus tolerance/benefit ratio.

by the way, he's better at taking his Omega 3 fatty acid now because I found smaller pills. I don't use krill oil, even though those are smaller; apparently we are overharvesting.

TerryJ2

Hmm, just changed my signature to up the lithium dose, and noticed the speech cognition info I'd typed yrs ago. It turns out it's actually auditory processing. I knew it was something but just didn't know exactly what. Thank you all on this board for helping me learn! We'll get that 504/IEP changed eventually. :)

DammitJanet

I was going to tell you fish oil came in a yogurt but he is on a dairy free diet. So much for that. Or maybe it is pudding. It also now comes in chewy vitamins like gummy bears. Those might be more palatable. Kids like candy.

Have you noticed any hand shaking? He is on a low dose so you might not. If you do they can give cogentin.

Wiped Out

Staff member
So glad to hear the lithium is helping and he is better able to articulate his feelings. That really is huge!

TerryJ2

Yes, it is huge!

Janet, his hands occasionally tremble but it comes and goes. It looks a little like he's had too much caffeine, or the way my hands tremble if my blood sugar is low.

I think he will have a chance to mature some while he is on Lithium.

This has happened to my kids from time to time when we found the right medication. This is such a big step because the biochemical stuff thwarts maturity and keeps the kids are in survival mode.

Jo