Looking for alternative to Focalin

lmd02814

My ADHD and possible ODD difficult child is 12 and has major anger issues when coming off medications (the ODD??). He's great when he's on his medication (Focalin XR 20 mg.) which he takes around 6 a.m. By 2ish he's disrespectful, extremely impulsive and an out and out BRAT. No one can bear him. I've read good things about magnesium from this forum. A homepathic m.d. who we saw about 6 years ago recommended magnesium for him. I don't think I gave it a good enough chance. At the time he was 6 and totally out of control. We added Lexapro about two weeks ago 5mg but going up I believe -- not much improvement. I want an alternative to the amphetamines to calm him and give him focus. I was put on 36 mg. Concerta in Jan (ADD) and had to cut the dose in half because I was getting very irritible during the evening. husband and easy child hated me. I believe if I'm sensitive to rebound he probably is too. Any suggestions for a brand and dosage of magnesium to try? Also, any ideas on an approach for making the transition? I may wait till school is out for that. I don't know :faint:

Lothlorien

I would say you should start him out at 300 mg. You could move it up to 400 mg, but if he begins to have loose stool, cut it back. You should definitely give it a few weeks before you see a difference.

By the way....it's very common for children to experience what you describe when coming down off ADHD medications in the afternoon. Does the Focalin help? I'm curious if a patch would be a better altenative, if the homeopathic route doesn't help.