looking for special vegan breakfast recipes

muttmeister

My cousin and her daughter will be here this weekend. The daughter is vegan. I am a vegetarian at least part of the time so I feel I can handle most of the meals with no problem but I'm not so sure about breakfast. I've found a couple of recipes that might work but I'm looking for something really good. I live in a rural area so I can't buy a lot of exotic stuff; it has to be available in a regular supermarket (I can do things like soy milk but not seitan, etc.) Anybody have any brilliant ideas?

Calamity Jane

Morningstar Farms (in the frozen food section of the supermkt) has a variety of pseudo-meat vegan foods, like fake bacon, sausages, etc. They also make fake meatballs if you're also going to be doing lunch or dinner. They're pretty expensive (over $4/box). Also, there's a frozen waffle brand called Van's, which is vegan friendly. There's soy and almond milk if she likes cereal for breakfast, too. Hope this is helpful.

flutterby

Fly away!
Morningstar Farms products are good, but read the box. Some of their products are only vegetarian, not vegan.

Following is a good list of recipes. It's a PETA run site and neither difficult child who is >< close to being vegan (she eats free range eggs and yogurt from animal friendly companies, but that's it as far as animal products) nor I are supporters of PETA, but they do have a good list of products that are cruelty free. (Take what you need, leave the rest.)

http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-breakfast-recipes.asp

InsaneCdn

Breakfast. Hmmm...
Home-made oatmeal with almond milk. (raisins optional)
Home-made bread with PB and several jams.

Was going to say muffins - but most muffins are made with eggs.

LittleDudesMom

• 2 medium sized pre-baked sweet potatoes, yams, or potatoes*, chilled overnight in the refrigerator and cubed to desired size (skins on)
  • 1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
  • 1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 jalapeno, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or chipotle pepper flakes (optional)
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (and any other herbs or spices you like)
1. Lightly oil a large skillet with a dab of water to keep the heat of the oil down. Add green peppers, onions, and jalapeno, and cook stirring often until al dente (tender with a bite).
2. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and potato of choice and using a spatula stir and flip mixture often until potatoes begin to brown (15-20 minutes)
3. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with ketchup, if desired.
Makes 2-3 servings
* To cook yams, sweet potatoes, or potatoes, clean and poke all over with a fork (which allows air to escape so they don't explode - yes it happened to me once). Place on the middle oven rack at 400 degrees F. I like to line the bottom rack with aluminum foil to catch drips. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until they give when squeezed gently (and carefully - they will be HOT.) Cool completely at room temperature before putting in refrigerator overnight.

That's a delish potato recipe that everyone will love and a little better for you 'cause it's made with sweet pots rather than white pots which are awful for you! I'm sure you can find silken tofu in your local market -- use that to make her a special vegan omelet with morning star sausage and veggies (sub a little water for milk).

Sharon