Low cal Food/recipies/ideas

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
I think that the walking is helping me. I walk about 1.5 miles almost every weekday. I have never done that in my life. Of course I have a walking buddy which helps but some days we are so cold.

My therapist told me last night I look younger. I haven't seen her in a month. Then I told her I had been losing some weight. So that was a nice bit of incentive to keep going. We leave for Mexico in two weeks and that is also a motivator I cannot stand not being comfortable in my own clothes!

Jabberwockey

I've started walking at lunch along with doing the elliptical in the morning before work but I need to get some better strength training in. I've been doing pushups and planks but even the paltry amount of pushups have started to hurt my shoulders. We see the nutritionist next week and hopefully she will have some advice about that.

Copabanana

I think that the walking is helping me.
Well. I DID walk yesterday and felt good about it. Only a half an hour, but still.
I am not letting myself eat after 5 pm. And I am not eating much at all before 5 pm either. So, I am hungry.
But this is the thing: Walking made me into a hypocrite because this is what happened as a consequence:

There were two (smaller size) carne asada quesadillas sitting in the refrigerator (made fresh--by that I mean the tortillas were homemade, filled with cheese, meat, and salsa verde). I watched myself at 11pm (as if controlled by alien forces) get up, go to the kitchen, heat one up, eat it happily as can be, march back to the refrigerator and do the same with the other one.

Honestly. I watched myself, completely detached from any sense of self-will. And that was that.

When I think about it I blame the WALK. It tipped me over into wanting food.

Also, I had run out of the smoked salmon. I am seeing this as key for me.
For us, exercise more, eat a bit less, and reduce carbs and sweets work.
This is exactly what SHOULD work with me. But it does not any more. The only way I can lose weight is through either radically reducing my eating, or radically increasing my exercise. And because I am under so much stress, the lifestyle change I need is eluding me.

I am finding the dietary restriction easier, but am seeing this requires constant vigilance. M sabotages me.

Jabberwockey

Just a suggestion Copa, maybe you should focus on the exercise instead as it is proven to help with stress? That and the more exercise you do, the more you are able to eat and still lose or maintain weight.

Copabanana

maybe you should focus on the exercise instead as it is proven to help with stress? That and the more exercise you do, the more you are able to eat and still lose or maintain weight.
JABBER.

This is such an entirely RATIONALE and REASONABLE idea.

But I want to lose the weight NOW. I want to drop 20 pounds in 3 months. The only way I can do this is starve.

Jabberwockey

Except that trying to starve the weight off triggers the bodies natural reaction of storing fat and burning muscle mass. That is how the human body reacts to a drastic lack of food. Trust me, I would LOVE to be able to tell you how to drop the weight immediately but remember this, you didn't put the weight on in a day and it wont come off in a day.

If nothing else, remember this: The body is an engine and NO engine will run without fuel. Are their diets out there touting the ability to get you to shed 20 pounds in a month or two? Certainly. Do they work? Sometimes. Are they good for you? Certainly NOT! The best thing in the world for burning fat is muscle and you cant build muscle without exercising.

May I ask? What is so important about losing it in three months?

Copabanana

May I ask? What is so important about losing it in three months?
I am just SICK of being fat. We are looking to travel in 3 months. Can I reiterate how SICK I am being overweight.

Of course I did not put it on all at once. I went up 65 pounds in 6.5 years, 10 pounds a year. But it is taking longer than that to lose it. I am losing 7 pounds a year, and I have lost 22 pounds at this rate. I want to still be alive, by the time I lose the weight!

I am willing to accept that I will not get down to the 10 year ago weight. But I would like at least to get half off. The 3 month goal, would get half the weight off, which would get me to within the normal range for my height.

I accept that the other half, down to quite slim, I will have to get off by exercise alone. That has worked for me before.

But at this weight my cholesterol is scary high. That is my justification. I am not obese but my body cannot carry this weight, healthily. That is my rationale for this extremism.

I agree with you, Jabber, in every single thing you write. It is just that I am choosing to be extreme, as I see it as the only way that will work for me.

Jabberwockey

If that's what you feel you need to do, just be careful and take care of yourself in the process. I currently weigh 278 pounds and if I can drop 70 of that it will put me at less than when I first signed up for the military during my Senior year of HS. Even if I can only get down to 220 it still puts me where I was 25 years ago and I can live with that for now.

I'm sick of the weight as well but trying to starve myself into losing weight would only cause gorging, this I know. 30 pounds this year and next and I'll be happy!

Lil

It is just that I am choosing to be extreme, as I see it as the only way that will work for me

In the end, YOU have to do what you have to do. Just be cautious. Jabber isn't wrong when he says that crash dieting, extremely low calorie intake, can make your body hang on to every pound and your metabolism slow to a crawl. Exercise will definitely help get the metabolism up. If you want to lose quick, combine the exercise with the calorie reduction...but be aware that weight that comes off fast, tends to come back with friends when you relax your ways.

Believe me, Jabber and I know more about losing weight than most people have any reason to learn. Where we fall short is in the application of that knowledge. :(

Lil

I currently weigh 278 pounds

It wasn't two weeks ago you told me you were at 290! WTH?

I personally also fall short on the patience thing...it ticks me off no end that my husband not only loses weight lots faster, but weighs less than me to begin with. (Yes...I'm that damn fat.) :mad: Truly, if there were a magic pill...with unknown side effects...that would make me slim - or even down to pudgy - overnight, I'd take it without a second thought.

Lil

That's still 7 lbs in 2 weeks. Pretty darn amazing...especially with all the sweets you eat! I'm just really surprised!

Starving seems like a good idea, weight comes off. But you get too hungry. You suffer all day. Eventually, you can't crawl on your knees through glass any longer. Your hunger will get the best of you, then you will be so extra hungry, that the hunger pains(and eating) last for weeks or more! You need to eat enough so you feel satisfied, then you can sustain the diet forever until it is just a normal way of eating. Most who starve gain it all right back when they stop starving themselves. Slow and steady.....you can do it!

Copabanana

30 pounds this year and next and I'll be happy!
This makes sense to me. 10 percent of your weight lost each year.

If I were able to do this moderately I would be happy. In my case 10 percent of body weight lost each would be about 17 pounds a year instead of 7. SEVEN pounds weight lost in each of the 3 past years! Unacceptable. This is with a nutritionist. And some of that time with a personal trainer. I was walking every day sometimes 2 hours a day.

What I will do now is what I am calling a leapfrog approach. I will try to drop 3 pounds at a time, and then hold that. Then 3 pounds more. When I get down to the weight which would put me in the target window, I will stop, and then let whatever weight will drop with exercise, be it.

That is what works for me. I hope.

In the past through exercise alone I lost between a half pound and three quarter pounds a week, and my appetite moderated, and became quite lean and fit. As a consequence I felt a great deal of control and confidence over what I ate, because I became governed by what I wanted, not imposing some arbitrary diet onto myself. So, I am in complete agreement with what is both healthy and makes sense. And I know from experience that working full time in stressful jobs screws this up completely. I think the cortisol begins to override the whole metabolic system. We are defeated before we start. I believe that.

I agree Jabber and others. Exercise and moderation are key. Except when they are not.

Last edited:

Lil

SEVEN pounds weight lost in each of the 3 past years! Unacceptable. This is with a nutritionist. And some of that time with a personal trainer. I was walking every day sometimes 2 hours a day.

I can see how that would be incredibly frustrating. I remember how frustrated it was to take a year to lose 30, when I had lost 70 the year before and was doing even better with diet and exercise, working HARD.

Still, if it helps, keep in mind that 7 a year down - is DOWN. Not up! :)

For me, every lb down is a victory won and keeping it off??? That's winning the war.

I know, 30 lbs in a year sounds like a lot...but I remember telling someone how, after Jabber and I married, I gained about 15 lbs a year until I'd gained like 75 lbs! (Jabber and I are very much alike in that we LOVE food. We were happy and loved each other, regardless of our sizes and just happily ate our way up the scale.) They were horrified! How could I gain 15 lbs in 12 months and not panic! My answer was...15 lbs is a lot when you're 5'4" and go 110 to 125. But when you're 5'10" and you go from 250 to 265, it's not even a dress size. You don't even really notice it except on the scale. When you lose though, same thing. Hard to see it until quite a bit is gone.

And I know from experience that working full time in stressful jobs screws this up completely.

Amen!

Copabanana

Hi Lil

When I gained 10 pounds a year this was gaining almost 10 percent of my body weight each year. It was pure stress. I eat very moderately and always have.

I agree with you: It is the trend. And I pound is a victory. I know that.

I walked again today. Increased from 30 to 35 minutes. I was winded.
Even though I did blame the walking to increasing my appetite, I got over it.

I will bear in mind what you and Jabber and others post: If it is health we are after, as well as self-esteem and self-control, extremism does not work, if it will bring forth a backlash.

Lil

I've said it before and I'll say it again...It's incredibly unfair that brain cells can actually die, but fat cells just shrink down and lay in wait for you to eat Alfredo sauce. :mad:

d08ca040fdc5f12396751221ccd65262.jpg

susiestar

Roll With It
Nomad, have you considered adding protein powder to your shakes? You can buy vanilla flavored powders at any store and at Sprouts you can buy unflavored protein powder in their bulk section by whatever amount you want. My mother, when she is is paying attention to her diet, mixes protein powder with grapefruit juice every morning just before she has her first cup of coffee. She can't eat in the morning, never could without getting sick to her stomach. But she copes much better with the world with protein in her, so she found that this works for her. I would bet that adding some protein to your shake would make it a TON more filling for you.

I personally feel better when I eat meals that follow a 30% protein 30% fat 40% healthy carb ratio. I know my kids behave better and do better in school when their meals follow that plan also. I try not to follow any sort of fad diet because none of them ever work, but sensible eating does. I have followed a ton of fad diets before and not one ever budged a pound from my body. I don't really talk about diets much. I have gone weeks on very low calorie diets, gone gluten free, done various auto immune things, and not one ever helped. Mostly I follow this plan because I feel better and think more clearly on it.

Recently I was put back on a medication I have taken three times before to prevent migraines. This time I am taking it with another medication, both to prevent migraines, but in three months I have lost 4 dress sizes. I am eating reasonably, maybe a bit less than before but not a ton less. But it is nice. I have no idea if it will continue or not. The medication is topomax (topirimate) and it is an antiseizure medication that is also used often to prevent migraines. So far so good.

Nomad

Staff member
I take Topamax for migraines. Been in it for many years low dosage. At first at the higher dosage, I lost weight.
But later, after reducing the dosage and also as time went on, it is weight neutral for me. Doesn't help/doesn't hurt.

I think the added protein (to my juices) is a good idea BUT ironically whey protein increases my migraines a little. But there are other protein sources to try...pea etc.