major development with DS

Beta

Beta,

Is there somewhere your son could walk to for work just a couple of days a week to get re-acclimated? When my son came home from the streets, he was pretty shell shocked for a few weeks. Living outside is scary. He may be acting out just to be able to control something, anything. Just a thought, none of my business really. My heart goes out to ya'll. There's nothing wrong with easing back into it.

I think he is a little "shell-shocked" We're just focusing on getting healthy food into him, sleep, stress-reduction, and kindness. I think living hand-to-mouth causes you to develop a cynicism and hardness and suspiciousness just to survive. It will take a long time, if at all, for him to normalize even at all. On the positive side, we've seen some small efforts on his part to make this living arrangement work and he has expressed a desire to get a seasonal job, such as for the city, doing outside labor. He absolutely refuses to consider any job involving interacting with the public, which of course, would be a disaster and totally out of his capabilities, both now and maybe always.
We're working on the goal of helping him get a DL. His vision is probably not good enough to pass the test though and we can't really afford to pay for an exam/contacts at the moment. We'll probably encourage him to try and see if he can pass the vision test by some miracle. He could walk to work here. We live in a small town.

Beta

Beta, I lit a prayer candle for you and your situation. I think things will get more peaceful soon. When we go to church later I will light another one. I'm New to Catholicism, but I've noticed that God seems to take prayer candles seriously. I don't know why it's more effective than just saying a regular prayer, but it is.

Thank you, Crayola, for your prayers.

Beta

This is definitely a "stretching" experience. God is definitely (trying) to work some patience and gentleness in me. We don't like having him live with us, but we're willing to try to make it work, as long as he is trying and not destroying our home and the peace of our home.

Beta

Thank you BusynMember--that's a sweet thing to say. I think the same of you too. Actually, I think anybody on this site is a good parent--otherwise, we wouldn't bother, would we?

Will check into the Medicaid idea.