Mealtime cleanup...

Pink Elephant

Okay, so I'm good about breakfast and lunch cleanup, as I tend to do that right away, right after the meal is done, but come suppertime, I like to eat, put on a pot of tea, then settle into the TV room to watch the news afterwards, which of course postpones doing the dishes.

Anyhow, thought it would be fun to run this one by everyone and hear how you tackle the dirty dishes debacle in your house.

Could it be that we simply get lazy as the day presses on, and when suppertime rolls around, we've had enough of table, counter, and dish cleanup for the day?

Yep, you guessed it, I just finished-up tonight's supper dishes... like 3 (plus) hours after the fact! LOL!

Last edited:

KTMom91

I usually have the kitchen cleaned up by the end of the day. I don't like cooking and I don't like doing dishes. Sometimes pans hang out on the stove till the next morning, and I'll do them up while breakfast is cooking.

BusynMember

There is only hub and me at home. We use paper plates so they get thrown out. Any pots and pans and other silverwear go in the beloved dishwasher whenever one of us puts them in then turns it on. We have no set schedule for meals and we both cook although rarely elaborately anymore. Hub eats light...he always has. He won't have breakfast; I often just grab a Greek yogurt. I eat mostly healthy food so we take what we want when we want it. No formality. No rush. The sink is never overflowing.

I don't like dishwashing.

I truly have passions I love to but cleaning the hard way just takes away from the other things. I use any/all modern conveniences and since our place is just hub and me we don't worry about when things get done such as dishes. We are easygoing about when stuff gets done.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

I usually have the kitchen cleaned up by the end of the day. I don't like cooking and I don't like doing dishes. Sometimes pans hang out on the stove till the next morning, and I'll do them up while breakfast is cooking.
I'd end up in a rubber room if I were to try that. LOL!

Any sort of mess drives me mad.

Pink Elephant

There is only hub and me at home. We use paper plates so they get thrown out. Any pots and pans and other silverwear go in the belived dishwasher whenever one of us pius them in then turns it on. We have no set schedule for meals and we both cook although rarely elaborately anymore. Hub eats light...he always has. He won't have breakfast; IIoften just grab a Greek yogurt. I eat mostly healthy food so we take what we want when we want it. No formality. No rush. The sink is never overflowing.

I don't like dishwashing.

I truly have passions I love to but cleaning the hard way just takes away from the other things. I use any/all modern conveniences and since our place is just hub and me we don't worry about when things get done such as dishes. We are easygoing about when stuff gets done.
I'll admit I'm not a big fan of slaving away in the home, but messes, dust, and anything else out of order sends me over the deep end. :)

So anal I am about keeping things up, and keeping up with things.

AppleCori

I definitely get more tired as the day wears on.

I am a morning person, perky and happy in the morning and less so by evening.

But I hate getting up to a mess. That’s such a mood killer for me.
So,my house has to be clean before bed.

Luckily, my hubby is on the same page.

I have a dishwasher, and when someone uses a dish, they must put it in the dishwasher. Not the sink, not on the counter; rinse and put in the dishwasher.

I clean as I go when cooking, so usually there isn’t a lot of mess afterwards. Everyone rinses and puts their dishes in the dishwasher. I usually do the putting away of leftovers and the final clean-up, but often my daughter and hubby help. Just depends what everyone has going on after. I must clean the sink after, wipe down the counters, stovetop, etc. I can’t leave the kitchen undone.

What are you all having for dinner tonight? We are grilling chicken and having a garden salad and a fruit salad. Yey spring!

Pink Elephant

I definitely get more tired as the day wears on.

I am a morning person, perky and happy in the morning and less so by evening.

But I hate getting up to a mess. That’s such a mood killer for me.
So,my house has to be clean before bed.

Luckily, my hubby is on the same page.

I have a dishwasher, and when someone uses a dish, they must put it in the dishwasher. Not the sink, not on the counter; rinse and put in the dishwasher.

I clean as I go when cooking, so usually there isn’t a lot of mess afterwards. Everyone rinses and puts their dishes in the dishwasher. I usually do the putting away of leftovers and the final clean-up, but often my daughter and hubby help. Just depends what everyone has going on after. I must clean the sink after, wipe down the counters, stovetop, etc. I can’t leave the kitchen undone.

What are you all having for dinner tonight? We are grilling chicken and having a garden salad and a fruit salad. Yey spring!
Apple. I do my best work early in the morning, or at best, before noon, after that things begin to go downhill for me. A late start to my day and little gets done.

The kitchen and bathroom have always been the two rooms in the home that I'm anal about. I like both spotlessly clean at all times. No compromise.

Oh my, supper sounds good tonight at your house, Apple! :)

We've decided to go traditional today, a pork roast with baby potatoes, carrots, onions, a tasty gravy, and maybe a little something in the way of dessert after. Nice day for it. It's overcast, and the air is cool and damp, so something done in the oven will help warm the soul.

BusynMember

Old Hand...you are hired ;p)

I am thinking of hiring someone to do a deep clean once a week, maybe an anally tidy college kid. I don't like messes, but they don't make me crazy.

Last edited:

AppleCori

Apple. I do my best work early in the morning, or at best, before noon, after that things begin to go downhill for me. A late start to my day and little gets done.

The kitchen and bathroom have always been the two rooms in the home that I'm anal about. I like both spotlessly clean at all times. No compromise.

Oh my, supper sounds good tonight at your house, Apple! :)

We've decided to go traditional today, a pork roast with baby potatoes, carrots, onions, a tasty gravy, and maybe a little something in the way of dessert after. Nice day for it. It's overcast, and the air is cool and damp, so something done in the oven will help warm the soul.

I’m the same way in many respects.

I clean the master bathroom every morning after my shower. Make the bed as soon as I get out of it. Start any supper prep I can before noon.

I try to get hubby to go exercise in the mornings, but he is just not into going so early. We go in the evenings after work, and I do it, but I don’t like it.

We had a roast in the crock pot earlier this week, Thursday, I think, when we had snow. Nothing better than a meal cooking in the crock pot all day when it’s cold and overcast all day. But, I love the days when hubby grills out!

AppleCori

And, to answer your actual question, I usually clean up the dinner dishes right free we eat. I would rather get it done and over with. I can’t be happy if I have it sitting there waiting.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
The kitchen has to be clean when I leave for work.

As for dinner, I do the cooking and my husband is good about helping clean up. We have a dishwasher but I still wash quite a bit by hand. If I have a pot or pan that has something that's going to be a booger to clean, I fill it with water, put it on the stove and let the water boil. It loosens everything up so it's much easier to clean.
I do try and make sure the kitchen is clean before going to bed because I don't like waking up to dirty dishes. Doesn't mean it's always that way. If we host cards or a holiday gathering that goes late into the night, I'll let things sit till the next day. I would rather enjoy my company than clean the kitchen.

Pink Elephant

And, to answer your actual question, I usually clean up the dinner dishes right free we eat. I would rather get it done and over with. I can’t be happy if I have it sitting there waiting.
I'm never happy about leaving dirty dishes for later, but the end of the day thing seems to kick in with me real bad and it's just so easy to slide a little. Shame on me. :)