Meeting with principal?

Jamieh

I have been talking with my son's therapists about how to handle kindergarten. They all agree that I should probably sit down with the principal and explain all of his issues. He will start in August. I am wondering when I should do this...When would be the right time? Is it too soon to call and set up an appointment now and request a teacher who would be best suited for him? I want to get him evaluated for an IEP but they are reluctant to do it with just ADHD...not sure why. He will have a hard time focusing on anything in a class that is 18 kids. He is in a class of 9 and cannot focus right now. Any advice is much appreciated.

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
Does the principal also know about the sensory processing disorder (SPD)? THAT combined with the ADHD can be enough. Have you put the request for evaluation for Special Education Services in writing and sent it Certified Mail with Return Receipt Requested. Your request should list the issues he has that you feel will have a negative impact on his learning. I would not recommend you tell them about the therapies he's already receiving unless they ask during the evaluation process. Their receipt of your request starts a federal timeline for them to get the evaluations completed. If they refuse to evaluate him for ANY reason, ask for them to put the denial in writing with the name and contact number of the person/agency to appeal the decision. It has been many of our experiences here that schools will find reasons NOT to do what needs to be done. Since you seem to have one of those schools, you need to stick to written communication until an evaluation is done. "Just ADHD" won't necessarily get him services. They need to know the SKILLS he doesn't have or the "deficits" he does have. A label doesn't get an IEP. I would skip the principal for now. They don't plan anything until usually May or even during the summer. Take care of this IEP thing first.

Jamieh

Thank you! That helps. My youngest has an IEP because he is considered Language Impaired. I spoke to the preschool coordinator who was able to set up the evaluations for my youngest. She said before they would do anything we had to have a medical diagnosis of ADHD or Autism. So I guess my first step is to get in writing from his dr of the ADHD and sensory processing disorder (SPD) for the school system.

InsaneCdn

Start a parent report (see Susiestar's signature for the fastest way to find it...)
It's a way to pull together everything you already know.
Especially your own observations.

I agree with TeDo... you need to focus on the childs missing skills and necessary accommodations and interventions, rather than diagnoses (when dealing with school). If you have the book "The Explosive Child", it has a nice check-list of missing skills that are often an issue... I hadn't noticed or thought of some of these at all, until I saw the list.

He's too young to test for this yet, but if he is having trouble focusing in class... the problem may not be an ADHD-type focus problem... it could be an Auditory Processing Disorders (APD), especially the more subtle ones like auditory figure ground. Kids are usually about 7 before they can test for this, due to the complexity of the test. Might not hurt to have hearing screened, though... that can also be a problem. And any of these can be "on top of " ADHD etc.

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
That was obviously a verbal request. Put the request in writing asap. You don't need a diagnosis or anything from any doctor OR professional. Some schools (many actually) have told parents that this diagnosis or that diagnosis won't get an evaulation or an IEP. You need to make the request in writing detailing the skill issues and sensory issues without requesting an evaluation because he has ADHD and sensory processing disorder (SPD). Leave the labels out of the request.

JJJ

Assuming you are in the USA, the school can not require a diagnosis in order to start an evaluation of special services.

There is a link to the parent report in my sig.

BloodiedButUnbowed

With "just" ADHD he automatically will qualify for a 504 plan (similar to an IEP but with less legal protection for him and for you), and I recommend that you formally request that (in writing). You also have the right to request a special education evaluation at any time, and the school district MUST comply. This is federal law. If they determine that his ADHD will not negatively affect his learning then the school has the right to deny services. However, if you can document that his performance in preschool was negatively affected by the ADHD you will be in good shape to fight them if need be. I would get the 504 put in place immediately and in writing (via certified mail) request a SpEd evaluation.

JJJ

With "just" ADHD he automatically will qualify for a 504 plan (similar to an IEP but with less legal protection for him and for you), and I recommend that you formally request that (in writing). You also have the right to request a special education evaluation at any time, and the school district MUST comply. This is federal law. If they determine that his ADHD will not negatively affect his learning then the school has the right to deny services. However, if you can document that his performance in preschool was negatively affected by the ADHD you will be in good shape to fight them if need be. I would get the 504 put in place immediately and in writing (via certified mail) request a SpEd evaluation.

It is not true that the mere existence of a diagnosis qualifies a child for a 504. There must be documented need for supports. While the chances are good that a child with ADHD will need supports, it is not a sure thing.

Jamieh

I plan on meeting with- the school and probably will have him fully evaluated by them before he starts in the fall. I know he is going to need extra help on his work. Not the actual work part but the focusing part. He can do the work but he can't focus for very long.