After a period where things seemed to be looking up for my son, things went due south in a hurry, starting about a week and a half to two weeks ago. I won't get into all that right now, but it's gotten really bad for and with him. He's been staying with my husband and me for maybe a week, which hasn't been too bad behavior-wise other than the fact that he's no longer working (again, not getting into that right now) and still using. But he's made a greater effort to help out around the house and be polite and courteous, so there's that. Now for the meat of this post. I last saw him late Friday afternoon when he was leaving supposedly to meet up with a friend to get a motel room for the night. His last words heading out were "See you tomorrow (Saturday)" I didn't hear from him all day Saturday and when I tried to call him around 7 to see if he would be home for dinner, he didn't answer. I called again around 8 and still no answer. Finally when I called a little after 9 he answered and said he was in the ER of a neighboring county needing to detox. He sounded terrible, and although he seemed to be coherent for the most part, his speech was thick and slurred.He said after he and the friend he supposedly got a room with went their separate ways at whatever time on Saturday, he went to another friend's house. I have no idea how or why he ended up going one or two counties over after that. I don't know why he didn't call me to let me know that he was going to the hospital, as he usually does, but he's an adult and not required by law to do so. He told me what hospital he was (supposedly) at and the room number. He said he didn't have a number for me to call other than his cell at the moment but that he would call me when he knew what was going on. That was the last time I spoke with him. I wasn't super worried at first, assuming he actually was at the hospital, but when midnight rolled around and I still hadn't heard from him, I got concerned. I called the hospital he had named, was transferred to the ER, and was told that his name wasn't in their system. I've called his cell several times between then and now and he's still not answering. I don't know if he's in another hospital, if he was lying about being in a hospital at all, if he's in trouble somewhere, or what. I don't know if I should just wait this out and see if I hear from him today (Sunday) or report him missing. And if I do report him missing I don't know if I should wait until later on today or call right now. I don't know if I should be frantic with worry because he may be hurt or in danger, not overly concerned because he's (allegedly) in a safe environment (hospital), or furious because he's jerking me around and being selfish and inconsiderate. I think I'll just try to get some sleep and wait and see what my husband thinks before I do anything.