Mood Disorder not otherwise specified was explained to me FINALLY!!!

BusynMember

Ok, so I have Mood Disorder not otherwise specified and asked my psychiatrist, who is a good one from the Univeristy of Wisconsin--WHAT THE HELLO DOES THAT MEAN? He explained it in a way that maybe anyone who has a child with this diagnosis. can relate to. I "buy" his answer.
He said that it's sort of a spectrum. If somebody doesn't have obvious mania/depression, but definately has debilitating mood swings, with anxiety disorder and panic disorder and some Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) they lump it all together and call it mood disorder not otherwise specified. That makes me think that soon enough, just like "Autistic Spectrum Disorder" soon the mood disorders will be called "Mood Disorder Spectrum." At any rate, those of you with kids with that diagnosis.--that's what I was told it is. Of course, because of the liable moods, often you need a mood stabilizer. However, in spite of having some really nosedive moodswings, I do best on an antidepressant and benzo. Anyway, this was just FYI (and, of course, maybe some won't agree, but it works for me).

jbrain

Thanks, MWM! My difficult child 1 was diagnosed with mood disorder not otherwise specified at her Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and I wondered what it was--no one ever explained it to me, just said she was depressed. She appears to be okay now--has not been on medications for nearly 2 yrs and seems "happy"--not manic, just happy with life in a normal sort of way.
Jane