More Gluten Info.. start the printers

Well, the more I research this the more I am convinced!! Now All I have to do is get some Gluten free CEREAL!!!!!!!!!!!

We have recognized that Gluten-related diseases involve the absorption of complete
proteins such as gliadin or its peptide-fragments. Anti-protein antibodies circulating in
the blood and immune-complexes, combining antibody with food protein, provoke
the release of mediators which may cause multiple disturbances in all body systems
and tissue damage. These circulating problems influence brain function in a variety of
undesirable ways.

A family history of psychiatric problems is more common in patients with celiac
disease. Celiac disease is genetically determined involving two or more concurrent
genes. The genes involved are part of the immune-recognition complex, which
determine the "Self" identity markers, protecting one's own cells from attack by the
immune system. Celiac patients have an increased frequency of the serum
histocomptability antigens (self-markers) of the HLA-B8 and HLA-Dw3 types. This
genetic marker may indicate a predisposition for bowel absorption abnormalities or
immunologic propensities that result, not only in celiac disease itself, but other
contingent abnormalities as well.

Schizophrenia has been associated with gluten intolerance. The diagnosis,
schizophrenia, describes a variety of differing individuals who belong to complex
group of brain-disordered people often with a chronic or relapsing disease that leads
to dementia. The schizophrenic process distorts sensing, feeling, remembering,
deciding, and acting. It is unlikely that schizophrenia is a single disease with a single
cause. The milder, but similar brain dysfunctions observed with gluten allergy
suggests that food allergy may play a role in schizophrenia, with gluten as a set of
triggering antigens. Dr. F.C.Dohan consistently advocated a gluten-schizophrenia
link. (Dohan FC Cereals and Schizophrenia: Data and hypothesis. 1966 Acta
Psychiatr. Scand 42:125-42 and Dohan FC More on Celiac Disease as a model for
schizophrenia. 1983 Biol. Psychiatry 18:561-4)

Dohan stated:

" Many diseases are caused by genetically-deficient utilization of specific food
substances. Perhaps the best studied example is phenyketonuria... far more common
disorders, for example, atherosclerosis, and coronary heart disease, are strongly
suspected of being due to genetically defective utilization of certain food constituents.
" Similarly, considerable evidence indicates that the major cause of schizophrenia is
the inborn inability to process certain digestion products of some food proteins,
especially cereal grain glutens..."

Among Dr. Dohan's interesting an relevant recommendations is the idea of a "Gluten
tolerance test". Such a test has not yet been developed, but is the sort of evaluation
method that NP advocates in general. A gluten tolerance test could be initiated with
routine evaluations before and after ingestion of grain foods. More sophisticated
versions would measure gluten proteins and derived peptides in the blood, and would
track the path of these molecules into organs, especially the brain. Finally the impact
of these molecules would be evaluated by monitoring the function of the target organ
in real time. I have been eager to do real-time monitoring of brain activity,
topologically-computed in gluten-sensitive patients. These patients report changes in
their energy, mood, cognitive abilities and emotions which no researcher to date has
documented objectively. The problem of adverse brain effects of molecules derived
from food is a major under-recognized phenomenon of nutrition and molecular
pathophysiology. Research in the next 10-20 years will, I am convinced, reveal a
great deal about the extent, mechanisms, and importance of this consequence of
eating problematic foods to our mental status.

------------------
Nancy
ODD/BIPOLAR/ADD Girl 6 1/2 yrs
Off All medications

Fav. Funny quote-"Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll probably
still be a dog. <Sigh!> There's so little hope for advancement."
- Snoopy
With Out GOD, my life would fall apart!!!!!

Dogchopper,

You are such a wonderful researcher & do so much for this board, where would we be without you! Thank you again for all your work & information that you have found. You have helped me so much I will never be able to repay you.

Thanks again & thanks for being so generous with your time & computer talent!

Straw

P.S. I haven't gotten to read the article yet in full, but do you mind archiving these gluten threads so that we can have it for in the future when people ask about it? Thanks.