Mouthwash

bby31288

I was wondering, can you get drunk off the alcohol in mouthwash? I am asking because I was in Target the other night, and wandered down the toothbrush isle. There were two young boys, maybe 10 & 11 or 12 and they were looking at the mouthwash, reading the labels. The one boy said here this one. They took it and I presumed purchased it. It made me wonder, I have found in difficult children purse an empty trail size bottle of mouthwash and thought she was just being hygenically (sp) good...but now I'm wondering???? any opinions

CAmom

Well, I don't know about drunk but a family member who had trouble with alcohol was known to drink almond extract (meant for cooking) to get the high, so I imagine mouthwash would also do the trick...

Merris

I know that mouthwash is completely banned from Alcohol treatment centers. I believe there is alcohol in some of them, but don't you think it would make you sick first?

envisablepuppet

Yes you can get drunk off the alcohol in mouthwash. It's quite common. I don't know how much it takes and in my humble opinion I would think it would be very hard on the stomach. I have heard of alcoholics using this as a last resort.

I'm not sure a trial sized bottle would be enough but, I don't think so. I do know that alcoholics will resort to it.

Nowdays with the awareness I think a lot of the manufacturers of mouthwash have either eliminated alcohol from their products or reduced it greatly.

I know it used to be possible to get drunk from it but I'm not sure if it still is or not. I'm guessing it is.

Lea

You would have to drink an awful lot of mouthwash to catch a buzz. Ugh, I could not handle it. And there IS much less alcohol in it than there used to be.

Extracts are pretty potent, but again, those bottles are hardly a shot's worth. They are not THAT potent.

Rehabs ban ANYTHING with alcohol in it. An alcoholic, if desperate enough, will consume absolutely anything with any amount of alcohol just to catch a buzz: stick deodorant, cough medicine, cologne, and yes, even rubbing alcohol. Being addicted to alcohol is a scary thing.

KFld

I'm sure you do have to drink a lot of it, but to those young kids, they probably see it as a huge thrill.

Uck!! That would be much worse then drinking cough medicine. I can't even stand rinsing with it for 30 seconds. It must really burn going down.

donna723

In the prison where I work, they order a special alcohol-free type mouthwash to stock in our commissary to sell to the inmates. Not sure how much alcohol is in it but our guys would drink anything! They also have alcohol-free hair sprays and aftershaves. They would all be so nasty to drink though, I would imagine that the only people who would try it would be the ones that couldn't get anything else. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

A lot of the OTC medications have alcohol in them too, or at least they used to. My ex used to LOVE Nyquil(sp?).

I used alcohol free mouthwash after I had my tongue pierced. It was Tom's of Maine, I think.

It was NASTY. I'd have rather gargled with baby powder.

DFrances

Banned
It is a known fact that Listerine is about 40% alcohol, which means it's just as good as whiskey. You can tell when someone is drunk off of mouthwash because of the smell, and the stuff is so toxic. This is the favorite drink of bums.

Ephchap

Yes, alcoholics definitely resort to mouthwash. That and Nyquil are banned from treatment centers.

I can't imagine needing a buzz so badly that I'd drink mouthwash. Ughh.

Deb

BusynMember

How sad is it that such young boys want to get drunk?
Yet my daughter was getting drunk and at least smoking pot at that age.
I keep a sharp eye on my eleven year old. Thanks for telling me about the mouthwash. Now I learned something new. I'm so naive.

Ally

In our town the stores closest to the Indian reserve used to keep the Aqua Velva and mouthwash behind the counter.

susiestar

Roll With It
This thread reminds me of Kitty Dukakis and the isopropyl or rubbing alcohol that she drank. Alcoholism is a really scary disease.

Susie