My daughter's driving me insane

elizabrary

Hello all- this is just more of a rant than anything. So a catch up on the soap opera of Kat's (my daughter) life. She is pregnant by her fifth grade boyfriend who she has only been with for about 6 months- a great idea, I know. She off her medications for depression and anxiety because she's pregnant. Her baby daddy lives in another state but he had basically moved in with my daughter. He has a son with another woman who got upset when she found out Kat is pregnant by him, so she turned him in to his parole officer for violating his parole by being out of state. Yes, he's on parole for a drug offense. (I know, this story just keeps getting better.) So he was violated and put on home detention in his home state. My daughter starts losing her sh*t about this but what did she expect? There is also another woman who is pregnant and claims he is the father but he says he's not sure about that, which my daughter knew about. My granddaughter is a competitive gymnast who trains year round, yes, I pay for most of this. During competition season we have to travel nearly every weekend and my daughter has been acting like a raving lunatic during these trips. If every single thing doesn't go her way she absolutely flips out. Literally things like the music playing in the car. If I call her out on it she says I'm the only one who ever has a problem with her. She's so hateful that's literally impossible, but whatever.

Today she called me in extreme distress and anger telling me she had told KK (my granddaughter) that they were going to have to rehome their dog because they aren't home enough and it's not fair to the dog (I have been telling her this for 2 years). Of course KK got upset and didn't want her to rehome the dog so she told her they could keep the dog if she played outside with her at least an hour every day. Three days a week my granddaughter has gymnastics for 3 hours after school. Her grades have slipped recently (I can't imagine why!) so this is a terrible idea. But I just didn't say anything because there really wasn't anything for me to say. So my daughter got mad because I wasn't talking and got off the phone. I was sad because I love my granddog but honestly she needs a better home. So I called my daughter back and told her she should take the dog to the shelter tomorrow because she doesn't want to put that kind of pressure on KK. She flipped out on me screaming, "Can't you just act like my f*cking mother for once? You claim to be so sensitive, well could you be a little sensitive about my feelings just one f*cking time?" And she blamed the whole situation on her former boyfriend who she was with for years because he brought the dog home. She's crazy and irrational, so I just told her I loved her and hung up the phone.

Well, mere moments ago she called me telling me that the other woman had her baby and she saw a picture of it and it looks like her boyfriend's son. And I was like, well you knew this was coming. She was bawling her head off and so I asked her what was going on lately, why she was always so upset. I was calm and rational, so that really set her off and she started screaming, "I don't know why I even called you. You can't ever f*cking be understanding, blah, blah, blah." So I just hung up. How in the world I ended up with such an ungrateful, hateful, narcissistic, irresponsible child I will never know. Good Lord, I'm about turn my phones off again. Send me positive energy. I'm so over her.

Tired out

I am sending you positive thoughts..Positive you need to block your daughter for a couple of weeks.
Thought does KK WANT to do competitive gymnastics? I am not a fan of those all consuming sports.

elizabrary

Thought does KK WANT to do competitive gymnastics?

Yes, she loves it. She has to or she couldn't keep going the way she does. She very athletic and school has always been somewhat difficult for her. Her coaches are great- they stress fun and not winning and create a very supportive, team atmosphere. So far it's been a great thing for her. Her coaches actually coached my daughter when she competed for a few years in grade school. Their gym has grown and been very successful over the years.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Eliz

I have no experience with this situation but just wanted you to know that I feel for you and I think you are handling it all beautifully!

One Hurt Mama

Eliza, when I read your post, I was immediately reminded of a time last year when my daughter (only child, age 36), absolutely FLIPPED OUT because a friend of mind sent her a lovely card saying that she would be praying for her. My daughter was 28 weeks pregnant at the time, and had been diagnosed with melanoma, and I was crazy with worry and had asked some of my friends to pray for her. I had NO IDEA that doing so would cause my daughter such extreme distress and outright ANGER, and I tried more than once to explain it, but she would have none of it, SCREAMING and CRYING, calling me a ***ing :censored2: and saying that it wasn't ABOUT me, and that who was this person sending her a card anyway, and that she hated me more than she had ever hated anyone in her life. Rationally, I know that her behavior toward me was likely a transference of her FEAR, and that somewhere down deep she was fighting for her very life and that of her unborn baby, but it still hurts me to the core to this day. I will never forget it. I have not received an apology, of course, nor do I expect one, and I FOR SURE will never bring it up again!

I did not mean to hijack your post, Eliza, but hope this can bring you just a little comfort. Our daughters apparently feel safe enough with us to act their WORST. Their VERY WORST. They know that no matter what, our love for them will never die.

Hang in there, and keep us updated.

Sending you big hugs!

One Hurt Mama

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
WOW!! I'm so sorry, you do not deserve to be treated that way.
All you can do is step back from it for a while. The only advice I can offer is to not offer her any advice or suggestions on how she should handle anything. I used to offer my son advice and I received the same treatment your daughter dished out to you. What I do now when my son "has an issue", I simply tell him, "that's too bad, you're smart and I'm sure you will figure this out"
It's ironic how when their lives become more chaotic than "normal" they reach out to us, their parents, seeking advice but no matter what advice we give them, they will not listen.

((HUGS))

BusynMember

No normal 35 year old or 25 year old acts out on Mom this way. Nor should we put up with it. We do them no favors teaching them they can abuse us. Its bad for them. And when there are grandkids and they hear her treat you that way they may pick up the bad mouth with you or her or teachers.

i have been lenient to a point in my life but if my one mouthy kid loses it at me, I disconnect our contact for several days. He is 41, too old for that.

He knows this will happen and that I wont bend on the disrespect issue so he is really much better now. My other kids are always kind.

Please dont go overboard trying to help your adult daughter. She is old enough to know how to behave even if she doesnt. Apparently she wants no advice. At almost 40 she doesnt need it. She really needs to figure life out. Or not.

So sorry she is this way to you sometimes.

Sending love and light!

Last edited:

Crayola13

It would help if the doctor could find medications that were safe to take during pregnancy. I saw a tea called Earth Mama that claims to help with irritability during pregnancy. I don't know anyone who has tried it, or if it helps.