My Mom Is Dying

susiestar

Roll With It
My mom went into the hospital on Christmas night. Her liver is failing and so are her kidneys. The doctor says she won't last the week. She is coherent when she is awake, but they were going to start new pain medications as she is hurting a lot. She also has cellulitis in one leg and any movement is extremely painful. I am not sure I know how to cope with this. My kids are all torn apart, as can be expected. I told her it was alright to let go whenever she is ready.

Copabanana

Oh, Susie. I am so very sorry. My son has liver disease about which he is in denial. I hope this day does not come for him, especially before I die.

I pray for your mother, and you and your family.

ksm

I'm so sorry...I hope you get to be with her and that she is comfortable and can feel the love you and your family has for her. Ksm

february

I’m glad you told her to let go when she’s ready, it makes them feel better to leave this world. Lots of love and prayers.

Nomad

Staff member
I’m so sorry. I believe you did the right thing by saying that. Sometimes with the pain medications comes the slowing of the heart beat... As best as you are able, get yourself prepared. I just prayed for you and your mom. Keep praying for wisdom, understanding, peace...whatever you need. (((Hugs)))

Nandina

I am so sorry to hear this. I hope they are letting you visit her. And it is wise of you to tell her it’s ok to go. This is all so very hard and my prayers are with you and your family.

susiestar

Roll With It
Thanks everyone. The weekday nurses mentioned the one visitor thing. The weekend nurses didn't care at all. I am trying to be there for the hours that either my dad needs a break or no one else is able to be there. She is lucid when she is awake. Yesterday I told her my brother was over at her house getting the front bedroom ready. She said "Oh No!" I asked her what was the matter. "Your brother unsupervised fixing something!" Which made me laugh and made my brother laugh when he came in.

We are preparing for her to go to hospice if she is ever stable enough to be released. We want the best possible care for her, even if it means limiting visits to her. I really don't think she will make it to hospice. She has stated that she does not want to be resuscitated for any reason. We are accepting that. I thought my brother would fight it tooth and nail, but he is respecting her wishes.

lovemysons

Oh Susie I am so sorry to read this news. I can’t even imagine what you must be going through right now. I am sure you are trying to be strong in front of your children but it has got to be so painful underneath it all.
You have been such a good daughter to your parents. I am glad you are able to be with your mom when your dad needs a break.
Sending all my love and prayers

susiestar

Roll With It
She died at 11:30 this evening. I was there alone with her. It was very peaceful. My dad and brother were on their way to the hospital. It was so quick. Telling my kids was the hardest thing I have ever done. Telling my mother's older sister, who is 90, was the second hardest. It broke her to pieces. She practically raised my mom.

Nomad

Staff member
I’m so sorry. How very sad. It’s a blessing she was coherent , able to make her own decisions snd you told her she could go when she was ready. Plus she was on medications to ease pain. And it was peaceful and you got to be with her. But...even with all these many positives to hold on to and that will surely help..it still hurts. Snd will for awhile. You have clearly been an outstanding daughter. Blessings and prayers.

MissLulu

Susie, I’m so very sorry to hear this news. I’m glad it was peaceful. I was with my mum when she died and that brought me comfort through my grief. I hope you will likewise feel comforted that you were with your mom. It’s so hard to lose your mother no matter what the circumstances. My heart goes out to you.

HMBgal

Sending love and support to you and your family. Heaven gained an angel. May her memory be a blessing to you.

Estherfromjerusalem

Dear Susie, I am so very sorry for your loss. You have been a great daughter and you couldn't have done more for her. I am glad it was peaceful. I was with my father when he died and although it was painful for me, it was a truly peaceful experience. May you find comfort in your good memories of her. I'm sending you my love, and a hug.

Love, Esther

susiestar

Roll With It
Thank you all. It was very peaceful at the end. We were so lucky to have her. And I am so glad that I stayed with her yesterday evening.

Crayola13

I'm thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. It's hard to lose a parent. The grief comes in waves. You'll think you're doing fine, then all the sudden, it hits so hard.