Need some guidance

KateRN2007

8 years ago, we adopted our daughter from CYS after it was determined that her biological parents did unspeakable things to her. Needless to say, she has been a challenge. Has lied from the moment we adopted her. Yesterday, at the age of 13, she stole $300 dollars from me to buy an iPhone from another kid, whom evidently, stole it from his mother. This transaction happened in school...I am not sure what I should do. Do I call the cops on my 13 year old that has a diagnosis of reactive attachment disorder, PTSD, ODD, Depression and anxiety? I am so lost and feel like I have no one that understands...

Albatross

Hi Kate,

Welcome. I'm sorry you are going through this. Many of us have had our children steal from us, including me. It is heartbreaking and knocked the wind right out of me.

You mentioned that your daughter is 13 years old. This particular section of the board is for those of us whose children are adults. You will likely get more responses if you post in the general parenting area of the forums.

Nomad

Staff member
Welcome.
There is an interesting book called “Yes, your teen is crazy,” that might be at least a little helpful.
But I do fear there is more going on here than typical teen acting out.
I would have her return the phone to the parent.
Is she in weekly therapy?
I would definitely consider this.
Does she have any talents or healthy interests you can explore? Sports, drawing, etc. Getting her involved with something healthy might help to keep her away from trouble.
Set boundaries in your household as it sounds like you are likely in for a tough ride.
I would remove a privlege for stealing from you for a period of time. But tell her (and mean it) if she ever steals from you again you will call the police (and do so immediately).
Consider therapy for yourself too as this stuff is very hard.
PS Perhaps Runnaway Bunny or a moderator can move this to General. This Forum is for adult “kids” over 18.