New Diagnosis Unsure of Path Forward

susiestar

Roll With It
Wiz comes by to chat every couple of weeks. about 3 weeks ago we had a pretty long visit. He casually mentioned that he was given a schizophrenia diagnosis a couple of years ago. I was really shocked. It is a disease that has always scared me. He did not do well on any of the medications he tried. His psychiatrist and therapist both feel he does better off of medications. He is very high functioning, just like with his Asperger's.

I don't know how to help him. I think all I can do is be here if and when he wants to talk about this or get other kinds of help. Any ideas that you can think of? Wiz generally does better when left to handle things by himself, rather than having us ask a bunch of questions or try to impose ourselves on his life. That sounds strange. He just is making good choices as far as I know, and I don't want to push him away. Given that the only other person he knew as a grandmother type figure is in hospice care, I am worried about him. Any suggestions?

Copabanana

My son was diagnosed by one person with Schizoaffective Disorder and at least one other has said he's psychotic. I don't know what I think.

My thinking is that these diagnoses are handed out way too casually.

If I had the sense my son was handling his life pretty well, I would try to back off. From everything you've written over the past few years, Wiz seems to be doing great. The way he handled his Dad's death, was exemplary, I remember. I seem to remember he was a real support.

susiestar

Roll With It
He is doing really well. We lost my mom a few days after Christmas, and that has been hard on him. It is part of why I worry. But he is doing well. The people he works with just love him. He seems to be doing well, but I worry. I have not said anything one way or another about it to him. Thanks.

Copabanana

Dear Susie

I am so very sorry about the loss of your mom. I am so happy for him and for you that he is loved on his job. The way he's turned himself around is truly miraculous.

Copa