New upcoming names for baby boys and girls? Other new Names?

Lil

If I was young and pregnant and the person I am today, I would name a baby girl Serenity.

If I had ONE rule I could impose on new parent's (If I were the god of baby names) it would be NO "unique" spelling! We have a friend who's got a granddaughter named Serenity (which is a VERY pretty name)....but it's spelled Cerynity...or something like it. I HATE that every single day I have to ask people, "and how is that spelled?" Because David is Daaved or Rebecca is R'beca. Makes me INSANE! Don't they care that NO ONE will every spell that poor child's name correctly?

Jasmine Breeze

:roflmao: Is it terribly rude of me to say that sounds like an air freshener?

I don't mean to be mean. I had a coworker once who was planning on naming her child Carrington, which is a perfectly nice name. Her last name was Green. I told her it sounded like a racetrack or a cemetery - Carrington Green. She was not amused. :redface:

I liked Emma and Emily when they first became trendy again but when I worked at Head Start there were so many I got tired of the name. Ditto for Jaden, a name I once loved and both Taylor and Tyler. Too many.

We actually had someone jokingly make a "hearing bingo" sheet (that little office game was scrapped when the bosses heard about it) but it had things on there like "Someone says "deadbeat", or "allegation of hidden income". Our center square was Jaden...because we have it in SO MANY hearings. It has to be one of the most common names now.

If I were to do it over again, I would NOT name my son after his biodad...which I did. I always intended to, and still do, use his middle name. But at about 13 he decided his middle name was too common (and no, it isn't Jaden :rolleyes:) and decided to use a shortened version of his first name. Luckily NOT the version that was used by biodad...that would have stunk!

My mother's first name was Emma. She hated it and used her middle name. I love Emma. Had I had a daughter instead of a son, she would have been Emma. I also like names with meaning - like Faith and Grace. For boys - I like Richard, despite the unfortunate nicknames. In fact, Richard Andrew was one I had picked out for years.

My parent's believed in naming children something that wouldn't seem silly when they were 85 and in a nursing home. They hated the thought of a little old lady named Buffy or a old man named Skip. They named my brother and I accordingly. My brother got the best end of that. Jabber and I share a middle name. :) I do not like my first name...which is NOT Lil or any form of Lil. I use Lil on-line because that's short for the name I chose for medieval reenactment. I love the name Lillian - Lilly - Lilliana etc. I would love to be a Lil in real life. Heck, Jabber doesn't even use my real first name (He doesn't call me Lil either, I'm basically Honey or Hey You)...it's not a horrible name - it isn't Bertha or Hildegard or anything - but it's just blah.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Lil my grand has a rather common name, say Mariah, spelled like Mairu. So not only will nobody know how to spell it, but they will struggle pronouncing it too. But Princess is wistful, creative and fanciful....that is very much something she would do.

Jumper is more practical. Mariah to her is spelled Mariah.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When I was pregnant with Rose, Bill and I had "the discussion". For a girl, I got to pick first and he got middle; for a boy, he got first and I got middle.

Her first name, in real life, is a combination of my grandmothers' names - Meghann (Margaret/Anetta). Middle name - she got two - first middle is Bill's paternal grandmother AND maternal great aunt - Elizabeth, second is my mother's best friend Jean who passed away from ALS - when Rose was 3! We weren't sure she would be around long enough to "meet" Rose (1700 mile distance, so all online). And, no, I am not worried about her name being here, buried this deep in a thread. Belle and Pat would be more obvious.

If she'd been a boy, Nathan for Bill's best friend AND my maternal grandfather's middle name, Joseph for my paternal grandfather and Dad's middle name.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If I had ONE rule I could impose on new parent's (If I were the god of baby names) it would be NO "unique" spelling! We have a friend who's got a granddaughter named Serenity (which is a VERY pretty name)....but it's spelled Cerynity...or something like it. I HATE that every single day I have to ask people, "and how is that spelled?" Because David is Daaved or Rebecca is R'beca. Makes me INSANE! Don't they care that NO ONE will every spell that poor child's name correctly?

Meghann is actually one of those names that can be spelled about a thousand ways. Megyn, Megan, Meghan, Maegen, and I even know a girl named Magen. My choice is the traditional Irish spelling. Also... Picked it out of a book I read once, that had a TV miniseries done on it... When I was 16. You'll probably know it... The Thorn Birds.

Lil

Jumper is more practical. Mariah to her is spelled Mariah.

Jumper is a smart girl. I'm sure little Mairu (which I'd pronounce May-ir-oo) will get awfully tired of telling people how to pronounce her name. Mariah is an awfully cute name though...so once you're past the spelling I can see why she picked it. :) The spelling thing is just annoying to me, dealing with children's names all day long and having to try to pronounce them without offending the parents. Sometimes I manage an entire hearing saying only "The Child" and "Your Daughter/Son" instead of using their names.

My mother always told me, with a perfectly serious face, so I think she was NOT joking, that she almost named me Sacagawea! I don't think my father would have gone for it and it would have been a 3rd name - like Jane Rose Sacagawea Smith...but WOW! So there's always one out there worse.

My office had a kid named Lucifer after all.

AppleCori

I had a really unusual last name while growing up, because my step-dad made it up. I have tried to find someone else with that last name and there is no one in the world, that I know of, with that name.

It got to be tedious it have to slowly pronounce the name over and over, correct people, spell it, only to have people give up or forget the next time.

They also gave my sister an unusual first and middle name.

She named her son a three-letter, common first name.

It put me off on unusual names and spellings.

I went for the “how will this sound in the adult business world” names.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LUCIFER? Good grief, that's worse than Damian. Belle did drugs with a Damian. I'm SURE his parents never saw The Omen.

As a child, I despised my first name. One, it was a boy's name. Two, it wasn't pretty like all the other Lisas and Heathers and Marys and Georginas and Jeannines. As an adult, I've met a LOT of others with my name - mostly a generation younger - both male and female. Now, I don't really mind it, since my entire family (Bill, Belle, Pat, Rose, and Charlie) all have those names you never see on a keychain. I'm pretty sure Charlie's will be, someday, due to Paw Patrol.

Lil

LUCIFER? Good grief, that's worse than Damian

Yep. Poor kid's middle name wasn't any better. I won't put it down here because searching the two together...well I'm sure it would lead to very few websites. Suffice it to say he was named for a fallen angel and a Greek god.

The father did say, when my soon-to-retire and no longer completely tactful co-worker asked, "In retrospect, it might not have been the best choice."

I had a really unusual last name while growing up

Yep, me too. Not one-of-a-kind, but German and oddly spelled and no one spelled or pronounced it correctly. Heck, there's a split in the family on the pronunciation, with some using a short-a sound and some using an "ah" sound. Might be why I'm picky about spelling.

BusynMember

Mariah is not her real name. I love the name Mariah! Grand has a common name that I never would have picked but it was not my choice. I call her Princess (for real) and Peanut.

I was almost Tammy. I loathe my real name with the heat of a thousand suns, but I think Tammy is almost as bad.

Last edited:

pasajes4

Worst name ever to give a girl...ABCD. It is pronounced Abcity. How awful for that child when she is trying to become employed.

Lil

Worst name ever to give a girl...ABCD. It is pronounced Abcity. How awful for that child when she is trying to become employed.

I had one of those! Only her's had a e at the end - Abcde. It was the (rather young) Mother's name - don't remember what the child's name was in that case.

BusynMember

That's horrible! Bet she changes her name!

I read this in anews column decades ago. A woman's last name was tree. Her husband insisted on naming his son Apple. She had a new baby and he was insisting on Cherry.

What is wrong with some people?

I also read about a couple who named their son Hitler. It was not American so they had to change the name. I'll bet you can do that here.

AppleCori

Many countries do restrict what their citizens can name their kids.

I wouldn’t advocate for that, myself, but I do think some people go way overboard in their quest to have a unique name for their baby.

AppleCori

I don't think our freedom would be restricted if we couldn't name a kid Hitler!

I remember hearing about a couple in the US that actually did name their child Adolph Hitler. The kids were taken away by the state, citing reasons other than the name, but that probably alerted the authorities that the parents were a bit off. Not sure what happened in that case, or whether the child still has that name.

I believe most states have a few restrictions, like profanity and such.

Lil

I do think some people go way overboard in their quest to have a unique name for their baby.

Had one of those too! Girl's name was Truly Unique [last name]. Swear to God - I don't know that you could name one I haven't seen. :laugh: We've had a number of Uniques. So they aren't, really.

Where I live there is a man named Soda Popp. Soda - I swear. Honestly - he's an older man too, like in his 60's! So it's not just the younger generation who did bad things to their kids names.

AppleCori

Where I live there is a man named Soda Popp. Soda - I swear. Honestly - he's an older man too, like in his 60's! So it's not just the younger generation who did bad things to their kids names.

Is Popp his last name?

I would have said his parents were fans of The Outsiders, but I don’t think it was written till the 1960’s.

AppleCori

Well, I looked it up.

Apparently, he is happy with his name.

Said it has opened a lot of doors for him.

I wouldn’t have liked the name, myself, but I’m glad he is OK with it!