New Years Resolutions 2014

BusynMember

I don't have one yet. I'm hoping for ideas...lol. I did accomplish by 2013 goal of losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle. Now I'm fresh out of ideas.

Maybe it should be to let my son who left us stay gone and never engage him again. I don't know if he's still a FB friend or not, but perhaps I should make him invisible if he has not yet de-friended me. He does not add to my life and I need to get over it.

You?

Here is mine: See that picture of me on my avatar? That was taken last summer while I was paddle boarding on a lake in Nova Scotia at father in law's house. I resolve to do that as much as possible next summer, and things like that, more often, you know, smell the roses and breathe fresh air.

KTMom91

I plan to start small and walk the dog every day. I have arthritis in my hips and knees and it hurts to move too much, but I'm gonna give it a try.

SuZir

My resolution is to stop this endless humming and hawing about maybe going back to school to upgrade my master's to PhD after this or that and actually get the balls rolling. In fact already took the first steps before Christmas. Yes, I don't actually need that degree, in my current job master's are required but having PhD doesn't give you more money or anything else. And I will already be in my mid forties when I will finish that PhD so far too late for most places there that would help. I do know I'm kind of wasting tax payers money for going for that unnecessary degree, but then again, I'm a tax payer too, quite a good one in fact. And I want it. For me.

DammitJanet

Im not actually making a resolution. Or maybe I should do like the little boy in the ATT commercials and have a "New Years Revolution"...lol. I actually think I did have some form of a revolt last night.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm going to work on stepping out of my comfort zone more this year to challenge myself in positive ways. One thing husband and I are hoping to do is skydive this summer.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm not one for resolutions. For me they seem to have the opposite affect and set me up for failure.

Just remember........... if you set up your resolutions and manage to mess up........don't just throw up your hands in defeat. Start over or just try to do better the next time. Changes, especially any lifestyle changes, can take time to adjust to before it sort of falls into place and feels comfortable.

I hope everyone has a very good year.

Scent of Cedar *

I read this somewhere. That this person's resolution was to learn to love herself more. I don't know what that would look like...probably a little like what each of you has posted about her resolution, already. I think that for me, that means doing things I find risky or difficult, getting out of my comfort zone at every opportunity (or marking that I chose not to, if I don't), keeping a gratitude journal.

Just reaching down and trying to be more real, trying to be awake in the moment. One of the concrete things I am working on is being on time. I always run it right to the edge. I am going to try for five minutes early. Another is identifying fear and taking the action I am afraid of. We live near a high traffic, multiple lane freeway area, now. I have been afraid to drive in it, and this has limited my life and curtailed my independence. I am already reaching out a little further, driving places I am a little afraid of. Just the actions I have already taken have been beneficial. It's like I know I won't always be stuck in that fearful place, because I have already taken little steps to change my situation.

I was watching a Buddhist monk on Oprah one Sunday in her Super Soul series. She asked how he dealt with anger, frustration, disappointment, etc. He said, "This is my practice." Meaning, he knows who and how he wants to be, and keeps that as his guiding star, understanding his challenges to surmount things he wants to change about himself as an ongoing practice.

So, it wasn't like a set thing, where if you don't make it, you lose. All these good things we want to be or do or create, those are our practices.

I thought that was a good way to see it.

Cedar

Scent of Cedar *

Wanted to post on the "love myself more" idea.

It's working.

Something so simple as wondering how that would be, how that would change me, has already produced measurable results. As I come back into balance around the events of my life, I am still edgy and more irritable than usual...but yesterday, I found myself judging my appearance less harshly. I actually smiled at myself in the mirror as I was struggling with the mascara thing. I needed to go to the Social Security office (birthday #62 coming up) and brought my passport for identification purposes. The picture is twenty years old?

And I swear, I never knew I looked like that.

I've seen that picture a million times. How could I have focused only on the flaws?

When I see something about how to strengthen a marriage? I apply it to my relationship to myself.

Another thing I've been doing is to remind myself there is nothing I need to do.

Cedar