Now she's adding cutting to her game~!

Mom2oddson

We just got off the phone with the rehab place, they are still fighting with the insurance company to keep difficult child 2 there longer....

They let us know one of the reasons they need to keep her there longer is because difficult child 2 is cutting and/or marking herself any way she can.

Why is the insurance company so blind they can't see that the girl who tried to kill herself 46 days ago ISN'T better??

I'm going to have to change my profile.... difficult child 1 wasn't a difficult child at all compared to this. He was a walk in the park.

husband and I are so lost and hurting.... We don't know what to do. We don't know how to help difficult child 2. Drugs, suicide attempts (where she told the crisis doctor she would succeed next time) and now cutting.... What do you do? How do you help them? Is there anything you can do for them?

Thanks for letting me vent. ....just realized that my user name doesn't apply anymore.

smallworld

Sorry to hear about this situation.

What medications is she taking? Is it possible they're making things worse?

I hope things improve soon.

Mom2oddson

Because of the suicide attempt...the doctors have taken her off of the abilify and aren't giving her anything at this time. Because of the drugs and her not taking her medications regularly, they want to see where she really is at.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When difficult child 1 was cutting - I didn't see it myself, but suspected, since she was also cutting up other things like shower curtains, bedding, etc. - we tried taking away razors, scissors etc. She found other things - pulled a nail out of the baseboard, found a pointy screw, safety pins... She even used a nail file to sharpen a plastic spoon. Once we found out why she was cutting and she got some help and the right medications, it stopped (slowly faded). She talks about it now, asks questions, and so on. I still worry about it but I see a lot more of her than I used to (which isn't always a good thing).

I think the docs taking her off medications to see where she was at was fine, but now that it's obvious something will need to be done for her ASAP.

difficult child 1 was rather sporadic about her medications for a while. We made it clear that we were going to stand over her while she swallowed, and she has mellowed some so she complies... Till about a week ago. She spent the night at a friend's and forgot her medications. The hallucinations and anxiety were so bad she called at 8 AM to come pick her up. No arguments since then...

I'm sending lots of hugs and some rhino skin for you, because I don't know what else to tell you.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Just wanted to send you some hugs for your hurting heart. When my difficult child was cutting, it was definitely more of an attention seeking behavior and...many of her friends did it too. Obviously not the case with your difficult child 2. My difficult child's cutting never coincided with her suicidal feelings - those times were very different in nature.

I hope that the docs are able to see through what is real and what's not and help her in any way they can - soon! Hugs~

BusynMember

Wanted to send (((hugs))). My daughter cut and did drugs. The good news is, she did quit. She told me it was hard to quit cutting--that it is like an addiction and she did it to cover up the emotional pain. I don't know your daughter's background, but sexually abused kids tend to cut. That isn't the only reason, but it's a common reason. My daughter had been assaulted sexually when she was eight.
I don't blame them for taking her off the medications because if she's using other drugs, and not taking the medications as directed, they won't help her. I hope things get better for you soon and that they allow you to keep her in treatment for as long as she needs it.

DammitJanet

Im sorry you are going through all this with your daughter. To have this cutting thing thrown in has to be really hard to hear. I am a recovering self injurer. I used to cut to relieve that inner pain or self loathing. It is a really tough thing to deal with. I still have periods where I want to slip back into old patterns.

If you ever want to talk just PM me. Im always here.