OK, 'Fess Up - Week 2 of HL, how are you doing?

Martie

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!!! Way To Go guys.

I do not "diet" but I am back on my gym schedule. I have lost 2 lbs that I gained around Christmas. NOW I am ready for new loss territory :smile:

I know that "everyone" recommends not weighing too often, but I weigh myself every morning. I know only the long-term trend is "meaningful" but if I have gained a lb (even if it is water weight) I find it motivating to eat less that day. If I have lost, I FEEL great (even if it is water weight.)I just thought I would share this as an example of "whatever works for you" is a good idea.

Best wishes to you all.

Martie

PersonalEnigma

I didn't do that well this week. I kept track of what I ate for one day... I did eat more responsibly until a couple days ago when I went on a snacking binge (stress...).

I did do one good thing though. I went to my fitness class on Tuesday. It was an hour of arobic-type work (with some social breaks and a bit of weight work added in) with babies included. It was a lot of fun but WOW am I sore... It really tired me out. I figure these classes will either get me fit or kill me :wink:

DammitJanet

I forgot to check in!

I havent weighed anywhere and probably wont until I go back to the doctor on the 7th. I guess I have done ok. I havent had any candy at all and the only sugary thing I have had was some dry cereal yesterday when my stomach was so upset and I didnt have any saltine crackers in the house. I needed dry and crunchy!

I did buy the Heart smart butter stuff with olive oil in it for me to use and the kids can use the cheap stuff...lol. I have to have some buttery taste on my rice and veggies.

Who knows. Im gonna be so ticked if I was doing better eating jelly beans...lmao.

If we are really in-tune with our bodies, we know when we are doing something healthy or something to sabatage ourselves!!!!

Sharon

I haven't read through the rest of the postings yet, but I just had to comment on the self-sabotge part.

I think we DO know things that are wrong for us. I think too that we sometimes actively engage in self-sabotage.

The battle, whether our challenges have to do with weight or mood or whatever the challenge is for us, takes place first in our minds.

However we got where we are, those same old messages are playing against us every minute.

I think they might even become stronger as we begin to break through into healthier ways of being.

Self-sabotage.

Very important to remember that as we all go through the changes we have set for ourselves.

Barbara

Congratulations to every one of us for continuing to be involved enough to keep posting. Some of us have done well, some not as well as we had hoped ~ but we all are still here.

My issue isn't weight. SOMETHING is the matter with me though, and I am committed to finding out what is behind all this. So, my efforts during this time have been concentrated on research. I have posted about some of the things I found.

I did morning pages about three of the days.

I found some wonderful sites which encourage and provide support for meditation, and for overcoming the hurdles to cherishing ourselves enough to commit to change.

I stopped smoking.

Again! :smile:

I am eating differently ~ way differently. No sugar, no wheat, no dairy.

Not even cream in my coffee in the morning.

I have narrowed the selection of classes down to a ballet, or a karate or tai chi class within driving distance. (I am thinking that part of what is happening with me is related to my fear of driving down here. I am here, in the house, or with my husband, every minute of my life. No shopping unless husband drops me off, no time to wander around and explore the things I am curious about, no real sense of autonomy.)

That has to figure in to a sudden exacerbation of an illness whose main symptom is the feeling that you are smothering, don't you think?

So I am still on the path, too.

Barbara

Barbara,

Why do you think we engage in "self-sabotage???" It's just so destructive to our health, both mentally and physically!!! Why do so many of us do things that we honestly know are only going to make ourselves feel worse???

You've definitely made me think. Thanks.

I hope you find the answers you need to heal ASAP!!! WFEN

Sue C

Quote: I weigh myself every morning. I know only the long-term trend is "meaningful" but if I have gained a lb (even if it is water weight) I find it motivating to eat less that day. If I have lost, I FEEL great (even if it is water weight.)

I also weigh myself every morning. When I saw that I had lost 2 lbs, I was estatic! Then the next morning I had gained .5 lb, but it made me feel even more determined. Two days later, I "lost" the .5 lb. So for me, weighing every day is a motivator.

I'm trying to be very very strong this afternoon and want to be proud of myself. Hope I can hang in there. I had bought some "gourmet chocolate chunk frozen cookie dough" from the neighbor kid a few weeks before Christmas. The windchill is way below zero today, and I thought baking something would help me feel warmer. So I made one pan of the cookies. Melissa ate one and took several with her to work this afternoon. husband is not home. I will do my very best to not taste these cookies!!!

Hmmmmmm.......now that I've written about it, I feel more confident that I CAN DO THIS!!

:thumbsup:

sue

I don't know whether it is true for everyone, but I know it is, for me. I think it has to do with the way we were taught to interpret ourselves as children. If our family dynamics were a little on the dysfunctional side (and whose weren't), it can be almost impossible to go against those first, early lessons in who we are ~and more importantly, who and how we are entitled to be.

It seems to me that clear goal orientation is the first good step. After that, I think we need to listen and dismantle the criticisms floating up from that insidious little tape playing beneath the pools of mind.

Whatever the designated challenge is in any given moment, listen to the things you are telling yourself about why you will or will not do whatever it is.

You will be surprised to find them there.

Next, try to listen carefully enough to learn whose voice that really is.

That's all I know about it, really.

Once we can drag this stuff into the light of day, we can actually make a choice about what we will do. If we have those negative tapes running and we are not aware of them though, I think we will behave in the way we always have.

The other part of self sabotage, at least for me, is that I have done many things of which I am deeply ashamed. Maybe no big deal to someone else (and maybe, a VERY big deal ~ but too late to change anything, now). I don't mean to sound like a criminal or anything ~ but you know what I mean ~ times we hurt someone else, times we did something really stupid ~ things like that.

I think sometimes we condemn ourselves over and over again for actions taken in childhood or as adolescents. (I think adult choices carry fewer regrets, because we actually do choose our responses, once we are grown.)

Again, I think the reason it is so hard for some of us simply to acknowledge a thing and go on has to do with who we were taught we were.

As parents ourselves, we understand that our parents too did their best ~ so digging this stuff up has to be an exercise in compassion and forgiveness, not one of condemnation.

Not of ourselves, and not of anyone else.

I sound like a broken record around here, I know, but for me anyway, getting to the root of self-sabotage has to do with unearthing whatever it is and understanding, really getting it, that there is nothing I can do to change any of that now.

I need to remember that to counter my own efforts at self-sabotage.

That is how it works for me, anyway.

Geez! I HOPE it still works!

:rofl:

Wishing you well too, WFEN.

:smile:

Barbara

P.S. The best book I ever read about how to nurture the self is called: Self-Esteem by McKay/Fanning

Barbara,

I read and reread what you said. It makes lots of sense. (I come from an extremely dysfunctional family!!!) I also read a description of Self-Esteem on-line. I'm either going to borrow it from my local library or purchase it. I think it will be a valuable contribution towards a healthier me. Thanks!!! WFEN

Sue,

YOU CAN DO IT!!! If you find yourself in the kitchen with an uncontrollable urge to grab a cookie, have an apple instead. Apples really help me control my desire for sweets. Supposedly, they help keep your blood sugar steady. I think I said this correctly - I hope it makes sense.)

Just keep saying over and over and over again to yourself, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels." Leading a healthy lifestyle is lots of hard work but well worth the effort.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! You're already off to a great start by losing 2 lbs.!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! WFEN

Sue C

WFEN -- Wish I had seen your post last night. I was craving and craving one of those gourmet chocolate chunk cookies really badly, especially when husband started eating one and asked if I had tried them. About an hour later, I was going crazy. But I was determined not to eat one of those gourmet cookies. However..........there were some of those lunch-size packages of mini chocolate chip cookies in the house for Melissa's lunches. I looked at the bag. It was 170 calories. I thought, surely only 2 of the mini cookies wouldn't add up to too many calories. So, I broke into the bag and ate 2 of the mini cookies. Then I put the bag down on the end table in the living room. I don't know why I put it there; I really don't. Was I going to try to sneak another one later??? Anyway, I left the room and when I walked back in a short while later, there was the dog with his nose in the bag, eating the cookies!! The dog saved the day!!! LOL

Today I will be strong. I do have some apples in the house. :)
Sue

WFEN --

Anyway, I left the room and when I walked back in a short while later, there was the dog with his nose in the bag, eating the cookies!! The dog saved the day!!! LOL

Today I will be strong. I do have some apples in the house. :)
Sue

Man, I could NEVER have passed up gourmet chocolate chip cookies!

Good job!!!

:)

Barbara

Sue C

Barbara -- I had it so instilled in my brain that I was NOT going to eat one of those cookies, but then I broke down and ate 2 of the mini cookies. So I felt kinda bad about that. I have it ingrained in my brain that I do not eat chocolate anymore, and I've only had one Hershey's kiss since New Year's Day. I have had hot chocolate a few times 'cuz it was so cold out. Does that count?

sue