Old fashion music/groups/songs you loved (or hated)

BusynMember

I don't remember my first concert. I really dont. I was different...I didn't like concerts much because they were so loud and loudness bothered me. I think I had and still have sensory processing disorder. Loudness still bothers me.

I do remember I went to concerts on dates. A few were Neil Diamond, the Carpenters, the BeeGees before they went Disco (I loved their older songs...the audience for them before Disco was low numbers) and...hmmmm. There we're more but I don't remember.

Karen Carpenter died shortly after I saw her concert. She had such a gorgeous voice. It was so sad that she died so young.

Pink Elephant

I don't remember my first concert. I really dont. I was different...I didn't like concerts much because they were so loud and loudness bothered me. I think I had and still have sensory processing disorder. Loudness still bothers me.

I do remember I went to concerts on dates. A few were Neil Diamond, the Carpenters, the BeeGees before they went Disco (I loved their older songs...the audience for them before Disco was low numbers) and...hmmmm. There we're more but I don't remember.

Karen Carpenter died shortly after I saw her concert. She had such a gorgeous voice. It was so sad that she died so young.
Boy, I remember when KC, passed away, too. She was a big star.

As for pounding music, particularly the Acid variety, eww! Couldn't stand it in my younger days, still have a hate for it today. Actually, can't tolerate overly loud music of any kind.

Estherfromjerusalem

Well, I think I am very very old. I loved the Everly Brothers, my favourite song was "Dream." I also loved Perry Como, and Pat Boone, and Elvis Presley. I think the first record I bought was "Jailhouse Rock." Those were different times, and maybe England was different than America, the music was maybe quieter. We had Tommy Steele, and Frankey Vaughan. There was one American singer I liked very much -- Buddy Holly.

And all of that was a long time ago -- 55 or 60 years ago -- so I don't expect any of you young people to remember those singers.

Love, Esther

Copabanana

Esther. I loved dream and the other songs. Wake up little Susie comes to mind.

And Perry Como was our favorite. In particular I loved "catch a falling star" and "hot diggity." I can still recall some lyrics of each. More than 60 years ago. I watched with my grandmother on Saturday night when my mother went on dates. It was a ritual. Wonderful memories.

Thank you.

Copabanana

With the everley brothers in the late fifties, like 1957, we would croon standing on our bed pretending it was a stage.

I also recall Dell Shannon and the Runaways, and Frankie Avalon. That was the time when Philadelphia was a hub of pop music. I do not recall off the top of my head the names of these people but 20 years or so ago public TV used to have retrospectives of the surviving greatest figures in early rock and soul, etc.

These shows were phenomennal. Real history. Along with the Judy Garland, Frank Sinatra specials, as well those of other luminaries.

It seems that that era in popular culture has passed, where big musical stars and other entertainment figures have extravaganza shows on TV.

But I do not watch TV anymore. Which I should soon change. I hear it is another golden age.

Lil

But I do not watch TV anymore. Which I should soon change. I hear it is another golden age.

Really? I can't imagine who would think there's another "Golden Age of TV". Too many reality shows and general nonsense like American Idol. No offense to those who liked it, but I couldn't stand listening to all the poor people who thought they could sing and couldn't. There are a few shows I watch religiously...but not many. We tend toward Netflix and Hulu for our TV watching. Of course, never fails that I start watching a new show, really like it, and it gets cancelled. :(

BusynMember

Golden age? Actually I think it's a really bad time. A lot of millennials don't have cable and Netflix has it's own shows. TV advertising pays for shows that young people watch and they are losing the young demographic and maybe thats why shows are not high quality anymore. I can't imagine what shows are considered that good. The only one I really like is The Big Bang Theory. I don't even like the spin off of Big Bang Theory called "Young Sheldon." I don't watch much. Rather read.

If you are looking for good entertainment, Copa, I don't think a bright lady like you who enjoys GOOD musical shows will like what is on these days. You may need to go to a theatre or ballet.